Wikiposts

Sponsoring a spouse??

Old Sep 21st 2003, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sponsoring a spouse??

Just curious - can a Canadian citizen go to live in a foreign country, get married there and then sponsor their spouse to come to Canada even if the sponsoring person is unemployed and has no money and no assets whatsoever in Canada?

Someone told me that there is no financial requirement for the sponsor - they just have to be a Canadian citizen and undertake to be financially responsible for the spouse. However, if the sponsor is penniless and has no job then it seems to me that merely "undertaking" to be financially responsible is a rather empty undertaking. I guess if they both come to Canada then the sponsor might find a job easily --- or might not!!

This person also told me that if the sponsor is - or becomes out of work, then the spouse is sent back to his or her country, which doesn't please me because presumably the Canadian taxpayers have to pay for the return fare!!
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 5:32 am
Jeni

Default Re: Sponsoring a spouse??

Hi,

I'll leave it to the experts to answer your question whether or not a
sponsor (in a spousal case) requires a job/assets (although I can say
that the application to sponsor does ask for an original letter from
an employer stating length of employment, salary etc., so my guess
would be that there is some kind of requirement here). If it is not a
spousal case, then there are definitely financial requirements that
are spelled out in detail on the CIC forms.

About the undertaking--the sponsor is 100% financially responsible for
the person they have sponsored for 3 years (in the case of spouses)
after landing.
So, if the person sponsored(eg. spouse), goes on welfare etc., the
sponsor must pay back every last penny to the government of Canada.
There will be no "taxpayer paid" return trip home for the
individual--the sponsor must shell out--the point of the undertaking
is that there is no burden on the Canadian taxpayer. The burden is on
the sponsor.

lizwil98 <member10117@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just curious - can a Canadian citizen go to live in a foreign country,
    > get married there and then sponsor their spouse to come to Canada even
    > if the sponsoring person is unemployed and has no money and no assets
    > whatsoever in Canada?
    >
    >
    >
    > Someone told me that there is no financial requirement for the sponsor -
    > they just have to be a Canadian citizen and undertake to be financially
    > responsible for the spouse. However, if the sponsor is penniless and
    > has no job then it seems to me that merely "undertaking" to be
    > financially responsible is a rather empty undertaking. I guess if they
    > both come to Canada then the sponsor might find a job easily --- or
    > might not!!
    >
    >
    >
    > This person also told me that if the sponsor is - or becomes out of
    > work, then the spouse is sent back to his or her country, which doesn't
    > please me because presumably the Canadian taxpayers have to pay for the
    > return fare!!

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your info. The trouble is that people know half the story and I was annoyed if the Canadian taxpayer had to foot the bill. But, if the sponsor is unemployed, maybe they dont have the money to send the spouse back!!

The person I know who has gone to another country has been gone for a year. Their previous employer says that she can have a job when she gets back, but I cannot imagine it would be full time to start off with. I cannot imagine any employer would keep a job open when someone has gone off on what is virtually a 12 month or more holiday. I am assuming the Canadian immigration people are not stupid. They can obviously tell from her passport that she hasn't lived in Canada for over a year so any offer of employment would be conditional upon them having a vacancy at the time.

I welcome genuine hardworking immigrants. I am not keen on sponsoring lazy loafers whose sponsor has a part time minimum wage job!!

Last edited by Purley; Sep 23rd 2003 at 6:32 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 9:08 am
Mm

Default Re: Sponsoring a spouse??

If it will make a Canadian have a happier life by sponsoring a spouse when it is not just a marriage of convenience, whether the
sponsor is employed or not, and if he/she is genuinely signing the undertaking with full honest intentions of fulfilling his/her
obligations even if it may be difficult, then I am all for it and wish the sponsor all the best.