Sponsoring retired parents

Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sponsoring retired parents

I have just sent all my documents off and have everything crossed I am now in the preparing the parents phase. They've known I've been planning it for a long time, but it may be as soon as the new year that I actually go out, and so I want to offer them the prospect of joining me if things work out (I am an only child).

Firstly they would be financially self-sufficient under normal circumstances, so I could imagine that sponsoring them wouldn't be hard. However, what about medical coverage? My Mum has had cancer and my Dad has had a stent fitted...getting commercial insurance for either of these conditions is a non starter. If they were sponosored by me, would the provincial medicare cover this type of thing, or would I be liable for any health costs etc?

Last edited by TheBear; Jul 10th 2009 at 10:23 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sponsoring retired parents

I'm in a similar position to you Bear. I am only child and my family and I are my 84-year-old father's only relatives (though he has a 91-year-old girlfriend!). He knows our plans, but thinks he can come with us if said 'girlfriend' is no longer around in 2012 when we want to go.

In my father's case I think it is unlikely he will pass the medical if we sponsor him, which is same as the one we all have to go through, so we were thinking about the six months here/six months there option - although I have read that they catch on to this after a while.

Also, he and g/f fly often to USA and he is finding increasing difficulty getting travel insurance for two weeks because of his age combined with controlled angina, so not sure he will get it for six months (Canada and Oz lumped into this difficult area).

However, I am pretty sure that if your parents get through the UK medical and get PR they would be eligible for healthcare like you. That's why the med filters out those that would be an excessive burden financially.

Hopefully someone with experience will be along to answer your question as I too would be very interested to hear how people have solved this problem.

Last edited by singingringingtree; Jul 11th 2009 at 2:56 am.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the reply. Your old man sounds like he has lots of energy for his age

My parents are still in their mid to late 60s, so provided they don't get anything in the next few years, all might be well.

Additional question related to this: say they do come out, what happens if they need nursing home care or something in the long term? What are the Canadians like with that?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TheBear
My parents are still in their mid to late 60s, so provided they don't get anything in the next few years, all might be well.
I can't see a problem there.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 6:35 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I have just sent all my documents off and have everything crossed I am now in the preparing the parents phase. They've known I've been planning it for a long time, but it may be as soon as the new year that I actually go out, and so I want to offer them the prospect of joining me if things work out (I am an only child).

Firstly they would be financially self-sufficient under normal circumstances, so I could imagine that sponsoring them wouldn't be hard. However, what about medical coverage? My Mum has had cancer and my Dad has had a stent fitted...getting commercial insurance for either of these conditions is a non starter. If they were sponosored by me, would the provincial medicare cover this type of thing, or would I be liable for any health costs etc?
1. You realize the length of the sponsorship for parents? You can't sponsor until you make the Low Income Cut Off in the year Prior to sponsorship from Canadian sources after you are a PR.
2. The sponsorship portion is presently taking 30 months and then there is the overseas processing in London (assuming your are in the UK) of 8-14 months.
3. If your parents have medical problems, it is quite possible that they may be refused on excessive demand (their medical cost would be more than the Canadian average of about $5500)
4. If they were admitted, depending on the province's eligibility waiting period they would be covered.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 6:36 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers for the reply. Your old man sounds like he has lots of energy for his age

Additional question related to this: say they do come out, what happens if they need nursing home care or something in the long term? What are the Canadians like with that?
In most provinces there are subsidies, based on your assets, but you still have to pay.