Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring Parents/Health Insurance

Wikiposts

Sponsoring Parents/Health Insurance

Old Mar 31st 2012, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Wallflower131 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsoring Parents/Health Insurance

Hi there,
I've became a Landed Immigrant in Canada in 1993 and a Canadian Citizen in 2006. My mother is 71 and now after the death of my Grandfather is wishing to join me in Canada. I understand that parental sponsorship applications are on hold but she could come on a Parent "Supervisa" for 2 years at a time.

I'm having trouble getting health insurance for her and while one company will provide it as a visitor to Canada for $12 per day, it only covers emergency healthcare. That's great now, while (touch wood) she's a healthy 71, but I'm concerned that one day they'll say "sorry - she's too old now".

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!
Old Apr 1st 2012, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring Parents/Health Insurance

Unfortunately visitors to Canada are not covered by Canadian Health Care plans. Medical coverage is usually supplied by private healthcare plans or travel insurance.
Obviously you have checked into the supervisa requirements.
Until they start accepting sponsorships again the supervisa seems the only way to go if persons want elderly parents to stay with them for longer periods (more than 6 months).
If she came in as a normal visitor (less than 6 months) she would still need coverage although its not always asked for if the person appears to be in good health. She could get extensions as a visitor but I almost guarantee that after a second extension she would be asked about medical coverage.
If she has no coverage then extensions to visitor status will likely be refused.
If leaving Canada then re-entering she could be refused entry if no medical coverage and the examining officer believes the person is
•health grounds – if their condition is likely to:
◦endanger public health or public safety, or
◦cause excessive demands on health or social services (some exceptions exist – see notes 2 and 3)
You will just have to shop around for a decent plan to cover her while in Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ical/index.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/supervisa.asp
Old Apr 1st 2012, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wallflower131
Hi there,
I've became a Landed Immigrant in Canada in 1993 and a Canadian Citizen in 2006. My mother is 71 and now after the death of my Grandfather is wishing to join me in Canada. I understand that parental sponsorship applications are on hold but she could come on a Parent "Supervisa" for 2 years at a time.

I'm having trouble getting health insurance for her and while one company will provide it as a visitor to Canada for $12 per day, it only covers emergency healthcare. That's great now, while (touch wood) she's a healthy 71, but I'm concerned that one day they'll say "sorry - she's too old now".

Thank you!
Contact your local RBC Insuranced office

also try

www.squaremouth.com
Old Apr 1st 2012, 2:49 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Wallflower131
Hi there,

Thank you!

Did you google "super visa insurance"? There are tons of companies/brokers offering it. Note you have to buy from a Canadian company.