Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

sponsoring parents - couple questions

sponsoring parents - couple questions

Old Jul 25th 2010, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

nikkim will become famous soon enoughnikkim will become famous soon enough
Default sponsoring parents - couple questions

Hi
My husband and I have just become permenent residents and are now thinking of sponsoring my mum. There are a couple of things that I think might be a problem.

1. My mum and my step-dad would want to emigrate. Will this be a problem as he is not my real dad?

2. I am currently a homemaker and my husband is the only worker in our house. Therefore I have no income as such. My husband earns enough as per cic website to sponsor 2 people but I have to be the sponsor as they are my parents.

Any help would be appreciated. (by the way we are living in Canada).

Thanks

Nikki
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:38 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sponsoring parents - couple questions

Originally Posted by nikkim
Hi
My husband and I have just become permenent residents and are now thinking of sponsoring my mum. There are a couple of things that I think might be a problem.

1. My mum and my step-dad would want to emigrate. Will this be a problem as he is not my real dad?

2. I am currently a homemaker and my husband is the only worker in our house. Therefore I have no income as such. My husband earns enough as per cic website to sponsor 2 people but I have to be the sponsor as they are my parents.

Any help would be appreciated. (by the way we are living in Canada).

Thanks

Nikki
I don't know about the step dad thingm however it does seem as though you have answered your own question from what you have read on the website.

So possibly the only option would be for you to get a job as well.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Hi
Fact that you just became PR is the biggest problem. The LICO amount must be already earned in Canada within 12 months period preceding sponsorship application.

You will be sponsoring your mom and her spouse - no problem.

Again - it is not what your husband earns, it is all about how much he already earned in Canada in past 12 months.

Also try not to make the common mistake many do when checking the LICO table here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/5196E10.asp

In order to determine the minimum income requirement for your family unit you must first calculate the size of family unit - add yourself, your husband and children (if any), then add number of people to be sponsored. In your case family unit size will be 4 if you don't have children and want to sponsor your mom and step-dad. Thus look up the minimum required income amount for 4 person in LICO table (or more if you have children).

You don't need an income if your husband already earned enough and will co-sign the sponsorship.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:55 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazy72
Fact that you just became PR is the biggest problem. The LICO amount must be already earned in Canada within 12 months period preceding sponsorship application.

You will be sponsoring your mom and her spouse - no problem.

Again - it is not what your husband earns, it is all about how much he already earned in Canada in past 12 months.

Also try not to make the common mistake many do when checking the LICO table here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/5196E10.asp

In order to determine the minimum income requirement for your family unit you must first calculate the size of family unit - add yourself, your husband and children (if any), then add number of people to be sponsored. In your case family unit size will be 4 if you don't have children and want to sponsor your mom and step-dad. Thus look up the minimum required income amount for 4 person in LICO table (or more if you have children).

You don't need an income if your husband already earned enough and will co-sign the sponsorship.
Thats excellent news then - at least if husband can earn that over the next 12 months they should be good to apply once they have tax reurns / pay stubbs to prove it?
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Thats excellent news then - at least if husband can earn that over the next 12 months they should be good to apply once they have tax reurns / pay stubbs to prove it?
As soon as required income is reached within 12 months (or in shorter period) the sponsorship application may be filed. If there is still too early to do the next tax return then payroll record should do.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

nikkim will become famous soon enoughnikkim will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys. Sorry should have said we have been here for 18 months but only just got PR so should be ok for the 12 month income thing as my husband has worked since we arrived.

Thanks again
Nikki
x
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

kullymack is an unknown quantity at this point

Do couples have to sponsor or can two individuals sponsor a couple as in me and my cousin?
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Sorry the last post did not make an sense. What I ment to say was

Do couples have to sponsor a parent or can two individuals sponsor a parent as in me and my cousin?
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:01 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by kullymack
Sorry the last post did not make an sense. What I ment to say was

Do couples have to sponsor a parent or can two individuals sponsor a parent as in me and my cousin?
Only the son/daughter can sponsor parents, their spouse is the only person who can sign as a co-signer.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

PMM - would a pension from UK which more than covers financial requirements be acceptable? If so, I remember reading somewhere that money earnt outside Canada on which tax is declared in Canada is acceptable, if this is true, would the pension qualify? Thanks.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

could a nephew sponsor my mum as his aunt under the family class ?
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

could a nephew sponsor my mum as his aunt under the family class ?
Depends, which province does he live in and what is his status there?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Depends, which province does he live in and what is his status there?
He lives in Ontario and is a perminant resident there. I will be going to bc but could relocate to ontario
Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

He lives in Ontario and is a perminant resident there. I will be going to bc but could relocate to ontario
In which case, no he can't. There are a few provinces that allow sponsorship of an aunt/uncle via their PNP, but unfortunately Ontario isn't one of them.

So looks as though you'll have to sponsor your mum once you can.

Old Aug 16th 2010, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
In which case, no he can't. There are a few provinces that allow sponsorship of an aunt/uncle via their PNP, but unfortunately Ontario isn't one of them.

So looks as though you'll have to sponsor your mum once you can.

Can my cousin wjo lives in bc do it?

Last edited by kullymack; Aug 16th 2010 at 8:08 am. Reason: Structure of sentence was incorrect

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.