Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring parents - CIC bad news ... and good news

Sponsoring parents - CIC bad news ... and good news

Old Dec 1st 2011, 9:06 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring parents - CIC bad news ... and good news

Originally Posted by madisonavenue
Does this mean that if the income of the permanent resident/canadian citizen is below the threshold, then the income/assets of the parents/grandparents will be taken into account?
It seems the inviting child or grandchild is committing to financially take care of the parent, regardless of what the parents have. If the parents blow it all in Vegas, the kid is on the hook for any costs of looking after them, excess medical care, flight home. It is a big undertaking and should not be entered into lightly, if you don't have the cash, they could come looking for assets (house for example). $100k of healthcare coverage may not go far for a severe sudden illness or accident.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It specifically states a Canadian issued Health Insurance... so trying to find one from the UK (or other) won't be of any use.

There are quite a few that will insure over 65's for health insurance, though at what cost I don't know - most are for up to 2 years so presumably one would need to reapply.

http://www.safevisit.ca/visitors-to-...bility-32.html

http://www.rbcinsurance.com/travelin...insurance.html

Old Dec 3rd 2011, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

ChrisBoar is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add to this, looks like CIC have really speeded things up with clearing the backlog.

We applied to sponsor my In-laws 3 years ago. Their timeline had been stationary for about 6 months, and we were expecting at least another year wait to hear anything.

Well yesterday we got a very nice Xmas present. Out of the blue, a letter from immigration asking our In-laws to submit their PR application!

They appear to have changed the process, sent out special forms, with instructions to ignore the forms on the website, and we have to send them to Ontario, and not London as under the previous scheme.

Hoping this will go real quick now (and that they can pass their medicals!).
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Granma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sponsoring parents - CIC bad news ... and good news

Originally Posted by ChrisBoar
Just to add to this, looks like CIC have really speeded things up with clearing the backlog.

We applied to sponsor my In-laws 3 years ago. Their timeline had been stationary for about 6 months, and we were expecting at least another year wait to hear anything.

Well yesterday we got a very nice Xmas present. Out of the blue, a letter from immigration asking our In-laws to submit their PR application!

They appear to have changed the process, sent out special forms, with instructions to ignore the forms on the website, and we have to send them to Ontario, and not London as under the previous scheme.

Hi Chris, yes they are speeding up. I too have received instructions to submit my forms (excluding police checks at the moment). The forms which have to be downloaded are a bit confusing so I hope your in-laws are computer literate. Forms have to be sent back to Missasauga not London and they haven't even asked my daughter and her husband who are sponsoring me, for any change in their circumstances. I have 90 days to get all the info back to them. Let me know how things are going with your in-laws exciting times ahead.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Granma Nessie
Hi Chris, yes they are speeding up. I too have received instructions to submit my forms (excluding police checks at the moment). The forms which have to be downloaded are a bit confusing so I hope your in-laws are computer literate. Forms have to be sent back to Missasauga not London and they haven't even asked my daughter and her husband who are sponsoring me, for any change in their circumstances. I have 90 days to get all the info back to them. Let me know how things are going with your in-laws exciting times ahead.

Oh how exciting for you! My brother submitted his sponsorship application for mum in June/July 2008 so hopefully she will hear soon too. She will need alot of support in filling in the forms and doesn't even have a computer so will be relying on me to help her out.

May it all happens smoothly and quickly for you.....
Old Dec 5th 2011, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

sallydawson is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for sharing this information everybody, I am bracing myself before exploring health insurance cost.. The Canadian citizen in my family is only 12 months so doesn't have a great deal of income.. hubbie and I are on TWP so although we have the income I don't think we count. Perhaps I could just deposit sufficient in a bank account in the sprogs name? I'm thinking of just applying for 6 months visitor visa and then crossing that bridge later...
Old Dec 5th 2011, 10:27 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by sallydawson
Thanks for sharing this information everybody, I am bracing myself before exploring health insurance cost.. The Canadian citizen in my family is only 12 months so doesn't have a great deal of income.. hubbie and I are on TWP so although we have the income I don't think we count. Perhaps I could just deposit sufficient in a bank account in the sprogs name? I'm thinking of just applying for 6 months visitor visa and then crossing that bridge later...

Assuming you are not joking, the child would have to show an income of $34,022 per year to be eligible.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

ready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant future

Just have a question did you receive the letter from cic in Canada or was it sent to your in laws in the UK. I was was wondering who is getting these letters the sponsor in Canada or the parents overseas.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Granma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ready2go
Just have a question did you receive the letter from cic in Canada or was it sent to your in laws in the UK. I was was wondering who is getting these letters the sponsor in Canada or the parents overseas.
It was my daughter in Canada who is sponsoring me who got the letter from the CIC asking for further information. At first she thought it was further information about her but then it dawned on her it was my information they were wanting and they gave her a list of what forms and documents they required to be sent to them in Missassauga. I had to download the forms myself and one set had to be validated online to generate barcodes. What a panic that was as I only had an old printer and had to purchase a new one . Then I had to have Adobe 10 software on my computer to be able to validate the form. Fortunately my daughter was able to do this in Canada and e-mailed me the completed forms for me to print out and sign. All so stressful albeit with a 90 day cut off date
Old Dec 6th 2011, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

ready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant future

It was my daughter in Canada who is sponsoring me who got the letter from the CIC asking for further information. At first she thought it was further information about her but then it dawned on her it was my information they were wanting and they gave her a list of what forms and documents they required to be sent to them in Missassauga. I had to download the forms myself and one set had to be validated online to generate barcodes. What a panic that was as I only had an old printer and had to purchase a new one . Then I had to have Adobe 10 software on my computer to be able to validate the form. Fortunately my daughter was able to do this in Canada and e-mailed me the completed forms for me to print out and sign. All so stressful albeit with a 90 day cut off date
Thank you for that clarification. Tell me are you required at this stage to get police clearance certificates within this 90 days.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ready2go
Thank you for that clarification. Tell me are you required at this stage to get police clearance certificates within this 90 days.
Hi Ready 2 go

I have been asked to get them but not to post them with the rest of the forms yet as the covering letter sent to my daughter said they would ask for them at a later stage if sponsorship approved. The police checks have only to be 3 months old when sent so I am hanging fire just now about applying for the checks as they can be got in about 3 weeks. I should mention mine will be straightforward as I haven't lived in any other country for more than 6 months but if you have to apply to other countries it will take longer probably for them to be done.

The covering letter also said that the forms sent back to them will be on a first come first dealt with basis so if I send mine off within the next week I may hear from them maybe February/ March(via e-mail, as they pacifically asked for this). If I were to get police checks now they would run out in March and I don't want to pay for another lot. Hope this info helps.Anything else I can help you with let me know.

Granma Nessie

Last edited by Granma Nessie; Dec 6th 2011 at 4:13 pm. Reason: Extra info inserted
Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Ready 2 go

I have been asked to get them but not to post them with the rest of the forms yet as the covering letter sent to my daughter said they would ask for them at a later stage if sponsorship approved. The police checks have only to be 3 months old when sent so I am hanging fire just now about applying for the checks as they can be got in about 3 weeks. I should mention mine will be straightforward as I haven't lived in any other country for more than 6 months but if you have to apply to other countries it will take longer probably for them to be done.

The covering letter also said that the forms sent back to them will be on a first come first dealt with basis so if I send mine off within the next week I may hear from them maybe February/ March(via e-mail, as they pacifically asked for this). If I were to get police checks now they would run out in March and I don't want to pay for another lot. Hope this info helps.Anything else I can help you with let me know.

Granma Nessie
Thank you for the information. I hope it doesn't take too long for you now and hopefully early next year you can be in Canada. All the very best. I will definately ask again should I have another question.
A very merry xmas to you.
Regards
ready 2 go
Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

lorrainecrosse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Granma Nessie, we spoke a while ago and we have received the same forms. We are in Toronto at the moment, so all very excited here!! Can you tell us if you had any problems opening the CIC link? We have tried and it comes up as error no page found! Did you open each document seperately?
Will keep in touch and see how things are going for you along the way.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lorrainecrosse
Hi Granma Nessie, we spoke a while ago and we have received the same forms. We are in Toronto at the moment, so all very excited here!! Can you tell us if you had any problems opening the CIC link? We have tried and it comes up as error no page found! Did you open each document seperately?
Will keep in touch and see how things are going for you along the way.
Hi Lorraine, Nice to hear from you again. I too found the link to the forms on the covering letter sent to my daughter did not work so I went into the main Canadian CIC website and got the link for the new generic IMM 0008, the IMM5669 and the IMM5406. These are the forms pertaining to my situation.

When did your application forms go in originally? Mine were end of April 2008.

Yes it is exciting if somewhat stressful but I am ready to post my forms back now, phew. Let me know how you get on with them and good luck. I am just trying to take things a step at a time

Last edited by Granma Nessie; Dec 7th 2011 at 4:03 pm. Reason: Additional info requested