sponsoring parents to canada

Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:07 am
Just Joined

petal is an unknown quantity at this point
Question sponsoring parents to canada

Our application has been in immigration now for 2 months, we realize its a long process, however my dad is 80 and mom is 76, is it worth them visiting for 6 months and then applying for extensions? What about health insurance, this is all new to us any advise would be appreciated.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:02 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: sponsoring parents to canada

It is not a long process, it is a very, very long process - about 1.5 years or longer in Canada just to approve your sponsorship application and then 2 to 5 years for PR application abroad (depending from your parents residence and visa post). There is no chance for your parents to get extensions for entire length of the process. Health insurance you can buy privately (travel insurance) will only be valid for up to 6 months. After that they will be with no insurance. Think again.

Originally Posted by petal
Our application has been in immigration now for 2 months, we realize its a long process, however my dad is 80 and mom is 76, is it worth them visiting for 6 months and then applying for extensions? What about health insurance, this is all new to us any advise would be appreciated.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It is not a long process, it is a very, very long process - about 1.5 years or longer in Canada just to approve your sponsorship application and then 2 to 5 years for PR application abroad (depending from your parents residence and visa post). There is no chance for your parents to get extensions for entire length of the process. Health insurance you can buy privately (travel insurance) will only be valid for up to 6 months. After that they will be with no insurance. Think again.

What is the PR application
Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:05 am

Permanent Resident visa application.

When you sponsor family members you submit 2 packages together - (1) your application to be approved as a sponsor (sponsorship application) and (2) sponsored famliy members permanent resident visa application (PR application).

If you have used and proper forms and fully followed instructions you would have submitted both packages.

Part (1) takes 18+ months in Canada and once you are approved part (2) is forwarded to visa post responsible for your parents' country of residence. PR application process there will take 2 to 5+ years.

What is the PR application
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:44 pm
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future

Experts, please advice.

Taking this a stage further. If a family has successfully landed (PR /from UK) can the parents (also from uk), with sufficient private health insurance, no intention of working/retired, visit for 6 months then extend and continue to extend until a parent sponsorship has been completed.

Or visit for 6 months, fly back to UK for a few weeks then return. Continue this process until sponsorship has been completed.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BH PNP
Experts, please advice.

Taking this a stage further. If a family has successfully landed (PR /from UK) can the parents (also from uk), with sufficient private health insurance, no intention of working/retired, visit for 6 months then extend and continue to extend until a parent sponsorship has been completed.

Or visit for 6 months, fly back to UK for a few weeks then return. Continue this process until sponsorship has been completed.

Thanks in advance.
We can't find anywhere to insure my Dad as he is 80 and if we did it would be really expensive, for my Mom they want $15.00 day so I guess the 6 month visitor option is out, and looking at my Dads age waiting 5 plus years is not a great option. They didnt apply sooner as my Gran was still alive, and I have buisness committments here where I cant just up and leave.
There are no other family members in the U.K. so we are in a bit of a unique situation.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 3:55 am

They may try, but one day they will get refusal of extension of stay.

Originally Posted by BH PNP
Experts, please advice.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

Are visit visa applicants required to have private Insurance? or its optional?
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by orazone
Are visit visa applicants required to have private Insurance? or its optional?
Its optional but not a chance they want to take, an accident could wipe them out financially.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 7:39 am
KJT
Forum Regular

KJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really nice

If a family member was successfully sponsored under this scheme would they be entitled to free Medicare in the same way as other Permenant Residents after 3 months in Canada or does the sponser become responsible for all medical bills for the full term of the sponsorship agreement (10 years)??

Thanks,

KJT
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by KJT
If a family member was successfully sponsored under this scheme would they be entitled to free Medicare in the same way as other Permenant Residents after 3 months in Canada or does the sponser become responsible for all medical bills for the full term of the sponsorship agreement (10 years)??

Thanks,

KJT
No once they are accepted they are entitled to full medical benefits, for lots of usefull info check out www.sponsor your parents.ca.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

random_idiot2 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello.
three questions regarding this:
1. isn't it possible for the parents to stay with us in canada and go to the US for a week or so every 6 months and then come back and get a new temporary resident status (my parents don't need a visa to enter canada)?

2. are you sure that we can't extend the private insurance for more than 6 months? what do people who extend their stay do?

3. are the delays in family sponsorship temporary or is it the policy? (i know it used to take 1 year to sponsor your parents)

thanks
Old Apr 14th 2005, 5:19 pm

First - start your own thread if you want answers, don't piggyback to a thread dealing with a different question.

1. They may trey but one beautiful day they will be granted admission for few days only just to pack their things and go home and if they try it again they will be refused entry. You are not the first one trying to come up with "bright idea".

2. Ask insurers directly

3. More permanent then many would hope.

Originally Posted by random_idiot2
hello.
three questions regarding this:
1. isn't it possible for the parents to stay with us in canada and go to the US for a week or so every 6 months and then come back and get a new temporary resident status (my parents don't need a visa to enter canada)?

2. are you sure that we can't extend the private insurance for more than 6 months? what do people who extend their stay do?

3. are the delays in family sponsorship temporary or is it the policy? (i know it used to take 1 year to sponsor your parents)

thanks
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:51 am
Just Joined

The latest we found out is no one will insure my dad as he is over 80, and my mom can get insurance for 15.00 day, about 450 a month, thats a big hit for seniors, so the visiter option is out,by the time this is settled my dad could be in his late 80's. I dont think the gov't should have the fees without the service being provided.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:51 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The latest we found out is no one will insure my dad as he is over 80, and my mom can get insurance for 15.00 day, about 450 a month, thats a big hit for seniors, so the visiter option is out,by the time this is settled my dad could be in his late 80's. I dont think the gov't should have the fees without the service being provided.
They are providing the service, but you are warned how long it is going to take. The reason is that seniors never provided anything to Canada during their working lifes, and they have a tendency to be very high users of the medical system. So CIC only process about 5/6K seniors per year and instead concentrates on Skilled workers who will contribute to the economy.

PMM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.