British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Sponsoring parents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/sponsoring-parents-887257/)

Edo Nov 10th 2016 6:15 pm

Sponsoring parents

Asking for someone else so do not have full details of the situation.

Just wanted to find out what is the best way to make sure you get your application in when the new quota opens in the new year. I have heard although I could be wrong that the quota fills up on the first day when the applications open. Is that is the case then how do people make sure that their application is received by CIC in time before it stops taking more applications.

For people living close to Mississauga Processing Center it may be easy to go and hand in their application in person but if someone is sending theirs by post or courier it may be too late by the time the postman gets there?

Former Lancastrian Nov 10th 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Sponsoring parents

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 12101552)

Just wanted to find out what is the best way to make sure you get your application in when the new quota opens in the new year. I have heard although I could be wrong that the quota fills up on the first day when the applications open. Is that is the case then how do people make sure that their application is received by CIC in time before it stops taking more applications.

For people living close to Mississauga Processing Center it may be easy to go and hand in their application in person but if someone is sending theirs by post or courier it may be too late by the time the postman gets there?

Last year there were reports of people paying couriers up to $500 to stand in line outside the processing centre on the day applications are accepted. Note for 2017 they are accepting 10,000 complete applications. That does not mean there are 10,000 spots however they are supposed to be increasing the number of spots under the family class. From the CIC newsletter link

Canada’s Parent and Grandparent Program (PGP) is scheduled to reopen on January 3, 2017, when up to 10,000 new applications will be received.

Also of note
Canadian citizens and permanent residents looking to sponsor a parent or grandparent are required to prove certain minimum income thresholds in order to be able to become an eligible sponsor. These minimum income requirements have been revised, and potential sponsors are encouraged to review the latest minimum income requirements.
Canada Immigration News - Parent and Grandparent Program for Immigration to Canada to Reopen in January with new Income Requirements

Edo Nov 10th 2016 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12101848)
Last year there were reports of people paying couriers up to $500 to stand in line outside the processing centre on the day applications are accepted.

Thank you FL. You insight on these matters is always much appreciated.

I am surprised that people paid so much to couriers just to deliver their post. Is that even legal?

But aside from that, why exactly would one require the courier services beyond the norms. Is it because they have to queue up for a long time for the CIC's office to open on the first working day of the year like we queue up back home the night before Boxing Day sale in front of John Lewis?

Siouxie Nov 10th 2016 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 12101910)

I am surprised that people paid so much to couriers just to deliver their post. Is that even legal?

But aside from that, why exactly would one require the courier services beyond the norms. Is it because they have to queue up for a long time for the CIC's office to open on the first working day of the year like we queue up back home the night before Boxing Day sale in front of John Lewis?

Concerns that first spots in parent sponsorship program go to those who can pay | Metro News

"This year, line-ups at the immigration processing centre in Mississauga, Ont., began hours before the program opened to new applications on Jan. 4. Some couriers showed up with bags of what appeared to be hundreds of applications, according to photographs obtained by The Canadian Press"

(Max 5000 applications)

Former Lancastrian Nov 10th 2016 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 12101910)

These couriers were camped outside the office with sacks of applications ready to dump. Several hundred applications in each sack. IIRC they received 14,000 applications in 3 days and the cut off was 10,000 applications.

Edo Nov 10th 2016 10:48 pm

WOW...

Are there any other ways to put your application in before they stop accepting anymore. Like mailing it out just in time so it gets there on January 3rd? ...Or even hand delivering through someone else?

lifeisajourney Nov 14th 2016 1:28 am

I went through this last year. I went to my local Canada Post office outlet a couple of weeks in advance and asked them exactly when I would need to send our envelope in order to arrive exactly on January 3rd using the "signed for" express post delivery option. They told me the date (somewhat complicated by the Xmas/New Year mail shut down dates). I mailed it exactly on the date they said. I knew it made it there on time and then just had to crossed my fingers.

This May I received a "I'm pleased to inform you your application has been accepted as part of the 10,000 applications" letter. Since then I've also had a follow up tax documentation request from immigration by email. So things are moving in the right direction.

Good luck.

Edo Nov 14th 2016 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney (Post 12104145)
I went through this last year. I went to my local Canada Post office outlet a couple of weeks in advance and asked them exactly when I would need to send our envelope in order to arrive exactly on January 3rd using the "signed for" express post delivery option. They told me the date (somewhat complicated by the Xmas/New Year mail shut down dates). I mailed it exactly on the date they said. I knew it made it there on time and then just had to crossed my fingers.

This May I received a "I'm pleased to inform you your application has been accepted as part of the 10,000 applications" letter. Since then I've also had a follow up tax documentation request from immigration by email. So things are moving in the right direction.

Good luck.

Good job :thumbsup:

So from the above, they have increased the application quota to 10,000 for 2016 as well?

I thought it was 5000 for 2016 and it will be 10,000 for 2017 :confused:

Jerseygirl Nov 14th 2016 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 12101552)

We paid a courier to hand delivery our application on 2 Jan 2013 to Mississauga. Can't remember how much it cost...approx $100 I think. It was well worth it as our application was about #10 received that morning.

Edo Nov 14th 2016 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12104955)
We paid a courier to hand delivery our application on 2 Jan 2013 to Mississauga. Can't remember how much it cost...approx $100 I think. It was well worth it as our application was about #10 received that morning.

Great. Well done.

Just want to clarify if you can submit the application in person? This fellow doesn't live too far from Mississauga so may be he should submit it himself if the office is open to public.

Jerseygirl Nov 14th 2016 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 12104980)
Great. Well done.

Just want to clarify if you can submit the application in person? This fellow doesn't live too far from Mississauga so may be he should submit it himself if the office is open to public.

I would think so...but it could be a long wait in extremely cold weather.

Edo Nov 28th 2016 8:19 pm

Does anyone know if the sponsorship forms will be revised for 2017 submission? Sounds like that's the word on the street but there is no indication from Canada on their website.

lifeisajourney Nov 29th 2016 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 12116566)
Does anyone know if the sponsorship forms will be revised for 2017 submission? Sounds like that's the word on the street but there is no indication from Canada on their website.

It seems to be their style to keep everyone guessing until the last minute. All you can do is prepare everything based on the current application and wait and see what happens. Good luck

Edo Dec 15th 2016 11:28 pm

So apparently the new rules for application submission have been announced and they are absolutely not what anyone expected.

Randomly selecting 10,000 applicants?? :ohmy::huh::blink::unsure::confused:

Siouxie Dec 16th 2016 12:10 am

Wow, that's quite some difference!

Changes to application intake process for 2017 Parent and Grandparent Program - Canada News Centre