Wikiposts

sponsoring parent

Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:05 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sponsoring parent

Originally Posted by RGPickles
R I C H & JAJ

Thanks for your input, really, it's appreciated!

If I fail the medical, then I will NOT be a Canadian PR or a future Canadian citizen and my discussions within this forum will mean nothing, RICH I see your point by the way, where do you stand in this? Canadian, immigrant?

I already contribute to the UK government 50K CAD per annum in the way of TAX! I am using Canadian companies to service requirements in the UK, pure coincidence by the way. So I am already contributing to Canada in a way

The parents of my wife will bring 500K CAD of UK capital, moving to Canada, I presume that they would spend some of this money on the Canadian economy, especially buying a house, food, car, house tax, etc, etc.
You're welcome.

I'm an immigrant (Work Permit holder, waiting for PR).

My opinion is that bringing capital is largely irrelevant (unless it's invested in business and job creation). Most of any $ your in-laws will bring over is likely to be spent on large initial purchases such as a home, vehicle etc. Long term any tax they pay on these purchases is a drop in the ocean compared to income tax and general taxation they'd contribute as employed immigrants over a working lifetime.

The reality is that in their lifetime it's highly unlikely that they'd contribute a net benefit of $'s to the tax system, therefore it's a reasonable rule of thumb to say that if their health is likely to cost the Canadian system more than average, then they lose the opportunity to move here.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:10 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

R I C H

I am sure that all of the PR candidates would be very interested in your explanation of the following:

"it's just the reality of the current immigration policy. How happy would you be to see immigrants arrive in the UK and take advantage of health care etc etc without having paid a penny into the system.....? Or maybe that reality's a contributory factor to your own emigration motivations....?"

My answer is that it's already happening in the UK and NO I am not happy... However, your statement "Or maybe that reality's a contributory factor to your own emigration motivations....?" is very worrying. I am guessing that you are either a born Canadian or perhaps a long term immigrant.

Please, provide further information, this is great stuff, you have my attention!

Please bear your soul, a PM will be fine.

Bob
Hi Bob,

People emigrate for all sorts of reasons, somewhat ironically sometimes because they're fed up with their home country's own immigration policies. I was just being slightly provocative and trying to determine if you felt the UK's current system was fair and equitable, or whether it contributes to your own motivations.

For the record I've been in Canada for 2.5yrs and moved here to start a business. Primarily I wanted new challenges, a better climate and a different lifestyle. Politics didn't really motivate me - as others have often said on this forum, it's same shit, different bucket.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

RGPickles will become famous soon enoughRGPickles will become famous soon enough

RICH

I value your opinions, it does not feel that you are an immigrant from the information that you provide?

I am Scottish, this personally means a lot to ME, I'll look after my wife's parents. I guarantee that I will earn as much as I can when I arrive in Canada, to ensure a future for my three children, who WILL contribute to the economy!

I fully realise that words are nothing, actions are everything! However, you are not yet a Permenent resident? How can you you have such a way about you? I have met and been on business trips with a few Canadian's and was very surprised! However, they welcome me as a future citizen of Canada!

Very interesting...

Bob
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:28 am
Pea Brain

RICH

I value your opinions, it does not feel that you are an immigrant from the information that you provide?

I am Scottish, this personally means a lot to ME, I'll look after my wife's parents. I guarantee that I will earn as much as I can when I arrive in Canada, to ensure a future for my three children, who WILL contribute to the economy!

I fully realise that words are nothing, actions are everything! However, you are not yet a Permenent resident? How can you you have such a way about you? I have met and been on business trips with a few Canadian's and was very surprised! However, they welcome me as a future citizen of Canada!

Very interesting...

Bob
The Sots thing might be an issue - they're not known for generous spending habits, are they?

My MIL may need to think about her future living arrangements sometime soon, and once I have PR, then my wife and I will perhaps be investigating the sponsorship route too. The reality is that rules are rules and if her health is not considered 'appropriate', then the option of taking care of her over here is removed.

Not sure why my responses lead you to the conclusion that I don't sound like an immigrant - that makes me curious as to why you think this way?

BTW, I applied for PR in June '05, got a 90 day letter in Dec '07, and request for medicals last week - PR shouldn't be too far away.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

RGPickles will become famous soon enoughRGPickles will become famous soon enough

RICH

Interesting, that you have lived in Country for a few years...

Us Scottish have a history of not spending, but I think that it's an English
story that has become too big to believe!

We are AOR Sep 2005, Look to moving before September, subject to medicals, of course, but we should be fine.

Hey, here's to a beer when we get over there!

Cheers

Bob
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:41 am
Pea Brain

Best of luck with your plans Bob

Drop by if you're in BC. I live here currently.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

JAJ

Sorry, "No it doesn't." Please indicate what you are acknowledging.
Once again. You said: "The UK already allows everyone in ... "

I said it does not. If you spend some time reading the Immigration Rules you will see that your statement is wrong.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:25 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sure about item 3)?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/5196E10.asp

A friendly advice - change a little bit your attitude. Read past posts and find out that you are getting replies and advice from knowledgeable and long time contributors to this forum (JAJ, PMM) and others who already live in Canada and went or going through the process (R I C H) and they know what they are talking about. Reading past posts and Wiki is also suggested to avoid asking questions that were already answered gazillion of times and to get better grasp on the subject first.

Your statement "Remember you must prove that you earn 12K CAD for past year before you can apply for sponsoring of parents..." indicates that your knowledge on the topic is almost non existent. Read the table above and keep in mind that it is the minimum required income must be earned in Canada from Canadian sources within 12 months preceding sponsorship application - so, you are far from that point. Get approved, land as PR in Canada, start earning income and then, once you qualify, start sponsorship process. If any of your parents is found inadmissible on medical grounds (I hope not) then that's it, both are inadmissible. You may whine all you want, you may sue the government then - but as of now rules are rules and you are not even a PR yet, thus as of now you can't even sponsor anyone.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Andrew

Thank you for your words of advice. I will indeed research further before
I make statements that might be untrue.

Thanks

Bob
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:01 am
Just Joined

NJLigerNJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Oof .. thought I was done with the murky world of CIC (aside from citizenship) after my PR was approved but then my Mum decides she's moving to Canada. Would very much appreciate the answers to a couple of questions if anyone would be kind enough to help. Thank you in advance.

1) I am in Canada because of spouse -- landed middle of 07. The income requirements are no problem however I was wondering if I should wait until I have a full year of work history before applying or I should just wait until I hit the minimum required income? With my wife (who has been working full-time) we're actually over the amount now but I don't know how good that looks to be applying with only a few months work (for me) on the application. The only reason I wasn't working before was that I wasn't a PR yet but that likely doesn't matter.

2) My mother's half-sister is also willing to sponsor but it appears only the sponsor's spouse is eligible to be a co-signer. Is there any way to factor in the half-sister to the application? She's a Canadian citizen and absurdly rich so it would be quite beneficial to get her on if possible. However having her (as just a half-sister) as the main sponsor seems risky. Any way to include her? OR is it possible for us BOTH to apply to sponsor the same person and see who gets approved? The $500 fee being lost for one of the applications isn't an issue. I think (unless it would screw things up) us both applying is the safest bet but I'm not sure if that would confuse the process that we're both applying separately to sponsor the same person. In a common sense world having two people (three with my wife) willing to agree to financially sponsor someone would seem to be a good thing but you never know with these government places.

3) My mother lived and worked in Canada (legally) thirty-forty years or so ago. She almost got her citizenship actually (was obviously a very different system back then). This is probably utterly meaningless but was just wondering if anyone knew of any loopholes based around having lived in Canada previously. Long shot I know.

Thanks again if anyone can help out.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 5:27 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by NJLigerNJ
Oof .. thought I was done with the murky world of CIC (aside from citizenship) after my PR was approved but then my Mum decides she's moving to Canada. Would very much appreciate the answers to a couple of questions if anyone would be kind enough to help. Thank you in advance.

1) I am in Canada because of spouse -- landed middle of 07. The income requirements are no problem however I was wondering if I should wait until I have a full year of work history before applying or I should just wait until I hit the minimum required income? With my wife (who has been working full-time) we're actually over the amount now but I don't know how good that looks to be applying with only a few months work (for me) on the application. The only reason I wasn't working before was that I wasn't a PR yet but that likely doesn't matter.

As long as you and your spouse meet the LICO for the family size in the year previous, you can sponsor as soon as you meet the income amount.

2) My mother's half-sister is also willing to sponsor but it appears only the sponsor's spouse is eligible to be a co-signer. Is there any way to factor in the half-sister to the application? She's a Canadian citizen and absurdly rich so it would be quite beneficial to get her on if possible. However having her (as just a half-sister) as the main sponsor seems risky. Any way to include her? OR is it possible for us BOTH to apply to sponsor the same person and see who gets approved? The $500 fee being lost for one of the applications isn't an issue. I think (unless it would screw things up) us both applying is the safest bet but I'm not sure if that would confuse the process that we're both applying separately to sponsor the same person. In a common sense world having two people (three with my wife) willing to agree to financially sponsor someone would seem to be a good thing but you never know with these government places.

No half sister can't sponsor or co-sign for her.

3) My mother lived and worked in Canada (legally) thirty-forty years or so ago. She almost got her citizenship actually (was obviously a very different system back then). This is probably utterly meaningless but was just wondering if anyone knew of any loopholes based around having lived in Canada previously. Long shot I know.

Nope

Thanks again if anyone can help out.