Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring my wife + implied status

Sponsoring my wife + implied status

Old Aug 17th 2014, 5:18 am
Just Joined

Shane2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsoring my wife + implied status

Hello there,

I am a Canadian PR and have lived in Vancouver for the last 4 years. A few weeks ago my wife and I got married in the UK and now live together in Vancouver. We are both from the UK.

We are going through the spousal sponsorship process now so she can obtain PR status as well. We decided to go the inland route as we wish to stay in Canada and live together. Sending our forms last week we can see that the current processing time for 1st stage approval is 12 months. Is this timescale accurate for UK applicants? Has anyone seen quicker turn around?

Also we are just wondering how best to extend my wife's current visa. She is currently on a 1 year work visa but is not currently employed. This visa expires early October.

Should we leave Canada and return so she can obtain a visitors visa? Or could we obtain a visitors visa without leaving the country. As we understand it she should have implied status while we wait for a decision.

Thank you very much for your help,

Best,

Shane
Old Aug 17th 2014, 5:48 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring my wife + implied status

Originally Posted by Shane2014
Hello there,

I am a Canadian PR and have lived in Vancouver for the last 4 years. A few weeks ago my wife and I got married in the UK and now live together in Vancouver. We are both from the UK.

We are going through the spousal sponsorship process now so she can obtain PR status as well. We decided to go the inland route as we wish to stay in Canada and live together. Sending our forms last week we can see that the current processing time for 1st stage approval is 12 months. Is this timescale accurate for UK applicants? Has anyone seen quicker turn around?

Also we are just wondering how best to extend my wife's current visa. She is currently on a 1 year work visa but is not currently employed. This visa expires early October.

Should we leave Canada and return so she can obtain a visitors visa? Or could we obtain a visitors visa without leaving the country. As we understand it she should have implied status while we wait for a decision.

Thank you very much for your help,

Best,

Shane
Welcome to BE!

In applying for PR via 'Inland' your wife cannot (or rather, should not) leave Canada at all until PR is granted. First stage approval will take 12 months (about the 4 months longer than 'outland PR would have taken in it's entirety) after which time your wife can apply for an open work permit. 2nd stage then takes a further 8 months before your wife will be granted PR (20 months total).

You could have applied 'outland' and still resided in Canada together.

As for extending or changing over to visitor status, your wife can do that online stating that you are married and have an application for PR in place (show proof of payment). Whilst she is waiting for a decision, she will be on implied visitor status.

I don't know if it is possible, but if there is a way of cancelling the inland application and submitting 'outland' instead I would recommend it.

Old Aug 17th 2014, 8:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I don't know if it is possible, but if there is a way of cancelling the inland application and submitting 'outland' instead I would recommend it.
+1, but the OP was advised in his last thread that they could apply outland whilst living in Canada and that it would take less than half the time of an inland app, so presumably has a good reason for still choosing inland.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 2:10 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

+2 for withdrawing the inland application and applying outland instead. When OP originally posted, Stage 1 processing was at 8 months... it has since increased to 12 months for Stage 1, plus 8 months for Stage 2, for a total of 20 months. Outland applications are through in about 7 months on average (look at the spreadsheet in my signature)... unless, as has been said, OP has some particular reason for applying inland...

OP, your wife can stay living in Canada even if you apply outland, and once her work permit expires, she should have no problem changing to a visitor visa via an online application, since you'll have proof you've already applied.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Shane2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks ALL for these replies!!

We've been badly advised (outside of this forum) to apply inland as opposed to outland.

It seems we are better to cancel this week and then resubmit an outland application.

If I cancel family sponsorship as is detailed here on CIC site - How do I cancel my application for family sponsorship? will I lose payment or could I reuse this for a fresh application?

Also does my wife need to cancel anything? We sent sponsorship and her PR application together.

Thanks very much for your help and advice. We had thought we had followed the CIC instructions properly but the inland/outland piece has confused us. Thanks for the clarification.

Best
Shane