Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring My Spouse Help with Form Filling

Sponsoring My Spouse Help with Form Filling

Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

PhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant future
Default Sponsoring My Spouse Help with Form Filling

Hi Folks

I am a stay at home mum (Canadian but living in UK), we are a family of 4. My husband is English so I am going to have to sponsor him. We are now just filling in sponsorship forms and wondered if anyone could help us.

Form IMM5482 Financial Evaluation Form

We are confused about whether we need to submit the above form and if we do does anybody know how we fill it in? as the guidelines suggest that the minimum annual income apply where you are NOT sponsoring your spouse.

Thank you for reading.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring My Spouse Help with Form Filling

According to the guide, a family of three need a minimum income of $33,933 a year to be able to sponsor. I don't believe you include the sponsoree in the number of people in the family. If they are counted, your income needs to be more than $41,198 a year.

If your income is less than this, you'll need someone to co-sign your application. My wife worked full-time when sponsoring me, and even she had trouble meeting the minimum income requirements at the time. If you need a co-signer, they'll be financially responsible for helping you out if required.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:12 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

I'm assuming your children are already Canadian. You don't need a minimum income to sponser your husband.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexisatk
I'm assuming your children are already Canadian. You don't need a minimum income to sponser your husband.
This is true. I am a stay at home mother of 3. I have no income and I have successfully sponsored my husband. The kids have Canadian citizenship. We spoke to an immigration advisor who also confirmed that I did not need to have an income to to sponsor my husband.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

PhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Allie73
This is true. I am a stay at home mother of 3. I have no income and I have successfully sponsored my husband. The kids have Canadian citizenship. We spoke to an immigration advisor who also confirmed that I did not need to have an income to to sponsor my husband.
Thanks for the responses folks.

Allie73 I was wondering how you went about filling in the forms, did you need to send a financial evaluation form to immigration? We are so confused about what we should include. We want to make sure that we are providing all of the information required as we don't want the application to be returned. Thanks for helping )
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't include any financial information.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

Look at the guide for filling out the application. It lists exactly what you need to include. I know when I did ours, while I didn't have to meet the minimum financial requirement, I did still have to include the income tax info paperwork. Not 100% sure on that form. While you don't have to meet a minimum financial requirement, you can't be on social assistance, so that's why they want the info.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Now I remember something about them wanting a copy of a tax return. I have lived outside of Canada for 7 years and didn't have one to send. I wrote that in my "cover letter". It must have been acceptable because I was approved as the sponsor.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your help guys, well on the way to finishing the forms now.

All we need to do now is submit forms, then a recce in May 2011 to Montreal and suburbs of and then its decision time.

Bye for now
Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

andy smart is an unknown quantity at this point

hello all..
just to carry on with this topic a little further, my wife is a Canadian citizen in pretty much the same circumstances as the thread author, we are trying to fill out sponsorship forms as well.. my question however is, does my wife have to send her sponsorship forms to Canada or can they be included with the forms i will be sending to the high commission in London. i'm sure i read that she could send it to the high commission.. but now i can find where i found that :P..
so if anyone knows the answer, that would be great..
thanks
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy smart
hello all..
just to carry on with this topic a little further, my wife is a Canadian citizen in pretty much the same circumstances as the thread author, we are trying to fill out sponsorship forms as well.. my question however is, does my wife have to send her sponsorship forms to Canada or can they be included with the forms i will be sending to the high commission in London. i'm sure i read that she could send it to the high commission.. but now i can find where i found that :P..
so if anyone knows the answer, that would be great..
thanks
All the forms for spousal sponsorship and PR should go to Mississauga and then they send them on to London once sponsorship has been approved
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

VW092906 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PhilJillMaxJoe
Hi Folks

I am a stay at home mum (Canadian but living in UK), we are a family of 4. My husband is English so I am going to have to sponsor him. We are now just filling in sponsorship forms and wondered if anyone could help us.

Form IMM5482 Financial Evaluation Form

We are confused about whether we need to submit the above form and if we do does anybody know how we fill it in? as the guidelines suggest that the minimum annual income apply where you are NOT sponsoring your spouse.

Thank you for reading.
Im glad I found this post... Im in the exact same position. Im Canadian, living in UK, my husband is Northern Irish and our daughter was born in the UK as well (we have applied for her citizenship and are waiting for that) I too am so confused as to which form we fill out. I HOPE its the IMM5482 because I didnt have enough income being on maternity leave the last year. we are hoping to post this all off tomorrow, so Im crossing my fingers IMM5482 is all they need from me.

good luck with yours!

Valentina