Sponsoring my husband

Old Nov 14th 2004, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Fiona Shearer has a spectacular aura aboutFiona Shearer has a spectacular aura aboutFiona Shearer has a spectacular aura about
Question Sponsoring my husband

i'm hoping that somebody out there can answer a few questions that have arisen while filling out our forms - me as sponsor and a canadian citizen (born and bred) - my husband (scottish) as principal applicant. both of us living in scotland.

1. on the sponsorship evaluation form it asks for my personal net income for the 12 month period preceding the date of application. i have just recently started a new job (august 2004) and didn't work before that since august 2002. i take it that i would enter, where it says 'amount', the amount i have made since august 2004 - which is obviously not a lot. is that a problem?

2. on the sponsor questionnaire form it asks for proof of your intention to re-establish in canada. as neither of us has a job to go to or a house i am confused as to what i should put in the 'other' category. would it help if i said we were going to be staying at my parents house until we found work and a place to live?

3. on the sponsored spouse questionnaire it asks if my husband has any family members or other relatives living in canada. his mother and father-in-law (my parents) live there. would the answer be yes or no as i am not sure if in-laws count?

4. and finally on the document checklist (for sponsor) it asks for an 'option C printout' but because i have not worked in canada for the past 7 years i can't provide this. it asks for an explanation if this printout is not provided - any suggestions? i don't know what they are looking for.

i hope someone can give some input. i will be forever greatful! thanks so much. Fiona
Old Nov 14th 2004, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Jassy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsoring my husband

Hello there,
I am not 100% about process since both of you live outside of Canada, but I will try to help you.
1. regarding your net income, just state your current salary and on seperate piece of peper your can explain that you just started new job and did not work for 2 years before that. but anyway they will see on another questions where you have to tell them where you worked for past 5 yrs and your income.

2. regarding your intentions- if none of the categories apply to you, check other and explain on seperate paper why do you want to live in Canada. (eg. your parents, family and friends are there bla bla bla). I am not sure would it help if you say that you will stay at your parents house, I think its not there concern at whose place will you be?

3.Its not gonna hurt if he says that his in-laws live in Canada.

4. Regarding Option C I would suggest that you call revenue Canada and ask them. 1-800-959-8281 or check out the website http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/

All the best!

P.S. Check out this website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/fc.html
You probably already know about this website where all applications are available. Also, under Part A and B there is a very helpfull Guide. Read it, it will help you to understand lot of things.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fiona Shearer
i'm hoping that somebody out there can answer a few questions that have arisen while filling out our forms - me as sponsor and a canadian citizen (born and bred) - my husband (scottish) as principal applicant. both of us living in scotland.

1. on the sponsorship evaluation form it asks for my personal net income for the 12 month period preceding the date of application. i have just recently started a new job (august 2004) and didn't work before that since august 2002. i take it that i would enter, where it says 'amount', the amount i have made since august 2004 - which is obviously not a lot. is that a problem?

2. on the sponsor questionnaire form it asks for proof of your intention to re-establish in canada. as neither of us has a job to go to or a house i am confused as to what i should put in the 'other' category. would it help if i said we were going to be staying at my parents house until we found work and a place to live?

3. on the sponsored spouse questionnaire it asks if my husband has any family members or other relatives living in canada. his mother and father-in-law (my parents) live there. would the answer be yes or no as i am not sure if in-laws count?

4. and finally on the document checklist (for sponsor) it asks for an 'option C printout' but because i have not worked in canada for the past 7 years i can't provide this. it asks for an explanation if this printout is not provided - any suggestions? i don't know what they are looking for.

i hope someone can give some input. i will be forever greatful! thanks so much. Fiona

Hi Fiona,

We're doing the same thing, I'm UK citizen and the wife's Canadian and we're living in England and applying through London, so I think we can help with some of your questions.

1. For spousal applications there is no minimum income requirement, so just put what you earned since August 2004. Even if you had no income it wouldn't make any difference. We proivided wage slips anyway just out of interest, it's better to provide more than they need than not enough.

2. I think for this you just need to write a letter stating your intentions to relocate back to Canada whenever your husband's PR is approved. We're going to be living with my wife's mum for the first few months after landing so to help with this we just got a typed up rental agreement between us and her mum.

3. I don't think in-laws count, at least we said no to that question.

4. Just do what you said in the question, write a letter that says you don't have an option C printout as you haven't lived there for 7 years.

Just another quick pointer, make sure you provide a police check with your initial application as you do need to provide one. We got confused by the supporting documents and thought you only had to provide one if asked, but everyone needs to provide one. If you don't your application will be delayed.

Hope that helps, if you've got any more questions, feel free to post some more...

Jonny
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Fiona Shearer has a spectacular aura aboutFiona Shearer has a spectacular aura aboutFiona Shearer has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Sponsoring my husband

Originally Posted by Jonny
Hi Fiona,

We're doing the same thing, I'm UK citizen and the wife's Canadian and we're living in England and applying through London, so I think we can help with some of your questions.

1. For spousal applications there is no minimum income requirement, so just put what you earned since August 2004. Even if you had no income it wouldn't make any difference. We proivided wage slips anyway just out of interest, it's better to provide more than they need than not enough.

2. I think for this you just need to write a letter stating your intentions to relocate back to Canada whenever your husband's PR is approved. We're going to be living with my wife's mum for the first few months after landing so to help with this we just got a typed up rental agreement between us and her mum.

3. I don't think in-laws count, at least we said no to that question.

4. Just do what you said in the question, write a letter that says you don't have an option C printout as you haven't lived there for 7 years.

Just another quick pointer, make sure you provide a police check with your initial application as you do need to provide one. We got confused by the supporting documents and thought you only had to provide one if asked, but everyone needs to provide one. If you don't your application will be delayed.

Hope that helps, if you've got any more questions, feel free to post some more...

Jonny
Thanks for this info - very helpful. it just kind of worries us that they aren't asking what type of finances we will have to enter canada ie: equity from sale of our house, cars etc. so technically could we show up in canada with no money? this is not the case with us but i was just wondering as it doesn't actually ask anywhere what savings we have.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Sponsoring my husband

Originally Posted by Jassy
Hello there,
I am not 100% about process since both of you live outside of Canada, but I will try to help you.
1. regarding your net income, just state your current salary and on seperate piece of peper your can explain that you just started new job and did not work for 2 years before that. but anyway they will see on another questions where you have to tell them where you worked for past 5 yrs and your income.

2. regarding your intentions- if none of the categories apply to you, check other and explain on seperate paper why do you want to live in Canada. (eg. your parents, family and friends are there bla bla bla). I am not sure would it help if you say that you will stay at your parents house, I think its not there concern at whose place will you be?

3.Its not gonna hurt if he says that his in-laws live in Canada.

4. Regarding Option C I would suggest that you call revenue Canada and ask them. 1-800-959-8281 or check out the website http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/

All the best!

P.S. Check out this website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/fc.html
You probably already know about this website where all applications are available. Also, under Part A and B there is a very helpfull Guide. Read it, it will help you to understand lot of things.
thanks! i will check these out!
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Virgosah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this info - very helpful. it just kind of worries us that they aren't asking what type of finances we will have to enter canada ie: equity from sale of our house, cars etc. so technically could we show up in canada with no money? this is not the case with us but i was just wondering as it doesn't actually ask anywhere what savings we have.
Hi Fiona - I am Jonny's Canadian wife, so I guess I can join in the conversation! I think that with spousal applications money is not so much an issue (as compared to skilled workers, for example). We have made it past the initial assessment, and Jonny's application is just waiting on the police check, and the only financial information we provided (and I did this to prove that I had been working in the UK, therefore did not have my Option C printout) were my salary details. We have both been students in the UK, so own practically nothing, and will only have a small amount of money coming with us, so I wouldn't worry too much. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask - we seem to be in very similar situations
Old Nov 14th 2004, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

My Canadian wife sponsored me and my dependent children and we "landed" in Canada this September just gone. Spousal sponsership is not effected or dependent on finances and therefore how much money you bring (or don't) is never an issue in the whole process.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jameso is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stepnek
Hi,

My Canadian wife sponsored me and my dependent children and we "landed" in Canada this September just gone. Spousal sponsership is not effected or dependent on finances and therefore how much money you bring (or don't) is never an issue in the whole process.

very useful post and answers. I to was worried about the option c thing. My Canadian partner has only worked in Canada for about 6 months in the last 6 years. It was a 6 month period in 2002. Will she need to get a print out. She is currently living and working in the UK?
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Virgosah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jameso
very useful post and answers. I to was worried about the option c thing. My Canadian partner has only worked in Canada for about 6 months in the last 6 years. It was a 6 month period in 2002. Will she need to get a print out. She is currently living and working in the UK?
She won't need an Option C printout. I am Canadian and have been living and working in the UK for 3 years now. All I did was write a letter stating that I did not have an Option C printout because I had been resident in the UK and was not working in Canada. I included some of my salary details just as extra proof (although I don't think this is needed). We sent my husband's application to Mississauga in May 2004 and I was approved as his sponsor in June 2004, so we didn't have any problems.

Last edited by Virgosah; Nov 14th 2004 at 8:36 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Sponsoring my husband

Originally Posted by Virgosah
Hi Fiona - I am Jonny's Canadian wife, so I guess I can join in the conversation! I think that with spousal applications money is not so much an issue (as compared to skilled workers, for example). We have made it past the initial assessment, and Jonny's application is just waiting on the police check, and the only financial information we provided (and I did this to prove that I had been working in the UK, therefore did not have my Option C printout) were my salary details. We have both been students in the UK, so own practically nothing, and will only have a small amount of money coming with us, so I wouldn't worry too much. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask - we seem to be in very similar situations
hi there! you said that you passed the initial assessment - was that for your application as sponsor or an eligibility test for jonny to see if he passes the 67 points (or am i getting that confused with the skilled worker?!?)
also do you need to get a police check before sending the principal applicant's application or are you requested to do that after sending the form. i know that the medical comes after so i was just wanting to clear that up. oh yeah - what about photographic proof of your wedding etc. do you get these pictures back or would sending copies be a good idea? thanks for your input!
Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:23 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fiona

hi there! you said that you passed the initial assessment - was that for your application as sponsor or an eligibility test for jonny to see if he passes the 67 points (or am i getting that confused with the skilled worker?!?)
also do you need to get a police check before sending the principal applicant's application or are you requested to do that after sending the form. i know that the medical comes after so i was just wanting to clear that up. oh yeah - what about photographic proof of your wedding etc. do you get these pictures back or would sending copies be a good idea? thanks for your input!
You are confused, it was the application for sponsorship that went to Mississaugia, there are not points in the sponsored category. If you are sponsoring a spouse/child you must do the medicals up front and send the receipt with the criminal records check al at one time.

PMM
Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Question Re: Sponsoring my husband

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi Fiona

You are confused, it was the application for sponsorship that went to Mississaugia, there are not points in the sponsored category. If you are sponsoring a spouse/child you must do the medicals up front and send the receipt with the criminal records check al at one time.

PMM
okay... understand that points is for skilled worker only - so i will forget about that as i am interested in family class. does my husband then need to get a medical and his police check done before we send off any forms? just out of interest do i need to do a medical and police check too? i am the sponsor and a canadian citizen
Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:39 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

I think that Virgosah means that she was approved as Jonny's sponsor. There is no points requirement for spousal applications. All they are concerned about in your circumstances is that you are genuinely married, and that Mr Fiona Shearer is not a threat to Canada in terms of health or crime /security.

We sent colour photocopies of a couple of wedding photos showing the English crowd and me with Mrs Rhodes's parents, and wrote on it who the people were. I wouldn't send anything that you really want or need. What they want to know is that your marriage wasn't arranged in order to get your husband in to Canada.

I'd agree with the general advice in this thread that, if in doubt, write an explanatory note. We did that for the Option C printout, as Mrs R has been here in England for 9 years or so, as well as the (rather silly, I think) question about proving that you are going to return to Canada. We said that my in-laws were looking forward to us staying with them - and we gave the address - until we became established, and guessed how much cash we might be able to take over in Canadian $$$, which we'd use towards buying a house. we also mentioned that we were following the advice of the Canadian High Commission by not putting our house on the market, resigning from work, or finding work in Canada, at the time of application.

The forms are not awfully clear in places, but it is usual to have the police check and medical done prior to applying.

That was a bit lengthy, but I hope it makes sense and helps.

Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:42 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

PMM beat me to it! You don't need to do a medical or police check, but your husband should do both before sending off the forms. The whole lot needs to go to Mississauga. If there are no difficulties, the whole process should be completed within 6 months.

okay... understand that points is for skilled worker only - so i will forget about that as i am interested in family class. does my husband then need to get a medical and his police check done before we send off any forms? just out of interest do i need to do a medical and police check too? i am the sponsor and a canadian citizen
Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Sponsoring my husband

Originally Posted by Rhodes
PMM beat me to it! You don't need to do a medical or police check, but your husband should do both before sending off the forms. The whole lot needs to go to Mississauga. If there are no difficulties, the whole process should be completed within 6 months.
Thanks for all that! I am getting totally excited about the whole process and can't believe that I could be going home in less than a year!!!! (assuming that there are no hitches!) My parents live in Nova Scotia and have been snowed in since Saturday afternoon... I miss snow!
Thanks again for the advice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.