Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring my hubby - would this process work?

Wikiposts

Sponsoring my hubby - would this process work?

Old Oct 21st 2010, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all
Default Sponsoring my hubby - would this process work?

Hello everyone!

ok so based on what I've read on the CIC site and from other people's helpful comments on here, here is our situation and what I think is the best way to go about it. Please please can anyone tell me if this would be the correct way to do this...

In brief: I'm Canadian. My British husband and I got married in Alberta and have been living in the UK since. We have 2 children, both born in the UK. My husband has a job offer in Calgary, starting June or July 2011 (depending on how long immigration takes).

Here is what I think is the best way to go (and any suggestions or advice would be very welcome!):

1. Obtain proof of Citizenship for our kids. I understand this can take a while, but we would request a rush later on if need be.

2. Send in my Sponsorship Application together with the Application for Permanent Residence, Region Specific Forms, and supporting documents.

Regarding these Applications:

>From what I understand, the minimum earnings chart won't apply for me as the Sponsor, since I live in the UK and haven't worked in Canada.

>Although I'm sponsoring him, I'll be getting him to Co-sign for me. By doing this he can prove that he'll be financially supporting us as he'll have a job in Canada. Obviously he can only support us once he gets his PR card and starts working though.
To be honest, this is the part I'm a bit confused about - is this the right way to go about it? Should he be Co-signing? Would he need to show any bank statements, earnings etc from the UK or would this be not applicable since he'll be starting a job in Canada?

>We will include a letter from my parents saying that we'll be living with them to start off with. There will also be a letter from the company where my husband will work to prove he has the offer to work.

3. Pray that it won't take too long before it's approved! I'm told around 4-6 months, correct if I'm wrong!

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences and if you think this is the correct way. I've really appreciated all the help I've received on here so far, thanks so much!!

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help!
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 2:17 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring my hubby - would this process work?

Your husband and the sponsored person cannot co-sign. You do not need a co-signer anyway. Get started now and the visa should come in time. Follow the guides and check lists carefully.