Sponsoring my fiance

Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Shane2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsoring my fiance

Hello,

Myself and my fiance are from the UK and currently living in Vancouver.

I am a PR and have lived here for 3.5 years. My better half is currently here on a working holiday 1 year visa.

I want to apply to sponsor my fiance but I'm unsure whether to apply before or after we get married this July.

Also, will she be able to live and work in Canada while we await the sponsorship decision?

Would be great to hear any advice or from any one who may have been through this process.

Best,

Shane
Old Mar 9th 2014, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring my fiance

If in no rush then wait till married otherwise you have to prove you have lived together for 12 months to qualify for common law. If applying outland then No she can't work unless she gets an LMO or qualifies under another work route until you get 1st stage approval if applying inland. The outland application is quicker.
Yes she can stay in Canada if applying outland.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...sor/spouse.asp

Lots of threads on outland or inland application.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 12:23 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome.

As FL said there are an absolute bucket of threads on this forum about sponsorship, but I'll give you a bit of info below.

Originally Posted by Shane2014
Hello,

Myself and my fiance are from the UK and currently living in Vancouver.

I am a PR and have lived here for 3.5 years. My better half is currently here on a working holiday 1 year visa.

I want to apply to sponsor my fiance but I'm unsure whether to apply before or after we get married this July.
If you have been living together for 12 months unbroken (unbroken being the key here), then you qualify as common-law. If you don't have 12 continuous months, then you'll have to either wait until you have it, or apply in July after you get married.

Also, will she be able to live and work in Canada while we await the sponsorship decision?
Again, this question is common and is clearly stated in a billion places including the wiki - generally, no. If you apply outland then definitely no. If you apply inland then she can apply for a work permit after you have been approved as her sponsor, currently 8 months. However, outland applications are approved in an average of 6 months, so you might as well just do that. As FL said, lots of threads on what to consider on inland vs outland, so do a search of the boards. (The board search is down right now, so go to Google, type "site:britishexpats.com" and whatever keywords you want to search for.)

There is also tons of information on the ins and outs of family class sponsorship on the wiki, so sit down with a cuppa and have a read of that.

HTH and post back afterwards if (when!) you still have more questions.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Shane2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is great advice. Thank you both!

I think we will wait until we are married and then apply. We'll just need to tighten our belts for 8-10 months while we wait for the first stage approval.

Many thanks

Shane
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 6:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shane2014
This is great advice. Thank you both!

I think we will wait until we are married and then apply. We'll just need to tighten our belts for 8-10 months while we wait for the first stage approval.

Many thanks

Shane
Why not do an outland app as Schnooks suggested above, and then she'd get PR in around 6 months?
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:19 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Why not do an outland app as Schnooks suggested above, and then she'd get PR in around 6 months?
He hasn't actually confirmed they qualify.

OP, if you qualify as common law then definitely apply now (or as soon as you do), else your only choice is to wait until you're hitched.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
He hasn't actually confirmed they qualify.

OP, if you qualify as common law then definitely apply now (or as soon as you do), else your only choice is to wait until you're hitched.
He said he'd wait until they are married, so I assume not, but either way Outland would probably make more sense if they're going to be struggling financially on one salary.

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:24 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
He said he'd wait until they are married, so I assume not, but either way Outland would probably make more sense if they're going to be struggling financially on one salary.

Agreed!