Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring Grandparent (slightly off topic)

Sponsoring Grandparent (slightly off topic)

Old Oct 3rd 2018, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

FARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sponsoring Grandparent (slightly off topic)

Apologies if off topic and this can't be asked here - but I thought some of you may be able to help.

Asking a question for my sisters Nanny. She's recently sponsored her husband and 2 children from the Philippines. They've just arrived a month ago. As you may know sometimes with Filipino domestic workers they often leave shortly after they have children to try and work and eventually be able to bring their families over.

Anyways my sisters Nanny has done just that. She is a kind a good woman, hard working and basically just an amazing person. Her family arrived and as with all couples who have been separated for a long time and who got married young and did not live together that long she is finding out some surprising information about her husband. She has indicated indirectly to my sister that she is afraid of her husband. My sister lined him up a job for when he arrived and he quit after the first day because he said it was too hard (it was manual labour). She's been supporting her husband and kids from Canada for a long time - and it looks like he wants that continue.

Anyways long story short she is stuck between a rock and a hard place. She "can't" leave him because she needs to work as she is the only bread winner for the family and he is refusing to do so. however he does watch the kids (although apparently he isn't the best father either - he's literally an adult to make sure they are fed and not alone.

We thought it would be a good idea to bring her mother over so if he were to ever escalate into violence and she decides to leave him etc she would have support of her parents to help with her children.

So my questions are ...
1. What happens when a PR sponsors their spouse (and the sponsored spouse is violent or the relationship ends?
2. As a PR can she sponsor her parents? will that be complicated given that she has just brought her family over?

Again, apologies that this may be off topic - but you all seem so knowledgable i thought your insight might be helpful.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 2:55 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring Grandparent (slightly off topic)

Originally Posted by FARAH1305
Apologies if off topic and this can't be asked here - but I thought some of you may be able to help.

Asking a question for my sisters Nanny. She's recently sponsored her husband and 2 children from the Philippines. They've just arrived a month ago. As you may know sometimes with Filipino domestic workers they often leave shortly after they have children to try and work and eventually be able to bring their families over.

Anyways my sisters Nanny has done just that. She is a kind a good woman, hard working and basically just an amazing person. Her family arrived and as with all couples who have been separated for a long time and who got married young and did not live together that long she is finding out some surprising information about her husband. She has indicated indirectly to my sister that she is afraid of her husband. My sister lined him up a job for when he arrived and he quit after the first day because he said it was too hard (it was manual labour). She's been supporting her husband and kids from Canada for a long time - and it looks like he wants that continue.

Anyways long story short she is stuck between a rock and a hard place. She "can't" leave him because she needs to work as she is the only bread winner for the family and he is refusing to do so. however he does watch the kids (although apparently he isn't the best father either - he's literally an adult to make sure they are fed and not alone.
Hi

We thought it would be a good idea to bring her mother over so if he were to ever escalate into violence and she decides to leave him etc she would have support of her parents to help with her children.

So my questions are ...
1. What happens when a PR sponsors their spouse (and the sponsored spouse is violent or the relationship ends?
2. As a PR can she sponsor her parents? will that be complicated given that she has just brought her family over?

Again, apologies that this may be off topic - but you all seem so knowledgable i thought your insight might be helpful.
1. If the spouse is violent, you report it to the police.
2. If she is a new PR she won't be able to submit an expression of interest to the Parent/Grandparent pool (opens in January, limited number of applications accepted). She would require 3 years of Canadian income (after PR) to with Minimum required + 30% . In 2017 the amount for a family of 5 was $67,400, somehow I doubt that working as a Live in Caregiver she will qualify for the Minimum amount.
3. Note that she is responsible for her spouse for 3 years, if she sponsored him (probably was included in her application, so possible that sponsorship rules wont' apply)