SPONSORING A FAMILY MEMBER

Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:52 am
Gained PR July 2014

lindamchugh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SPONSORING A FAMILY MEMBER

Hi I have read the section on website and it still does not make sense. Can my aunt in Canada sponsor myself husband and kids? Trying to get job offer LMO blah blah, taking for ever, you all know the drill. Thinking this may be a better route to actually getting in??

Note: You can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:02 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SPONSORING A FAMILY MEMBER

Originally Posted by lindamchugh
Hi I have read the section on website and it still does not make sense. Can my aunt in Canada sponsor myself husband and kids? Trying to get job offer LMO blah blah, taking for ever, you all know the drill. Thinking this may be a better route to actually getting in??

Note: You can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.
Does your aunt live alone and have no other relatives in Canada? If so she can sponsor you, but not your whole family.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:23 am
Gained PR July 2014

She does live alone but has grown up children
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:26 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

She does live alone but has grown up children
Are these kids Canadian citizens or PR's?
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

This is the relevant bit. If she's not got any other relative that she could sponsor (i.e. your parent/her sibling) so you are her only relative outside of Canada, and she has not got any Canadian citizen/PR relatives either, then yes she can.

Given that she's got children, then I assume you wouldn't qualify.

But which province is she in? There are one or two that allow family sponsorship under their PNP.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
This is the relevant bit. If she's not got any other relative that she could sponsor (i.e. your parent/her sibling) so you are her only relative outside of Canada, and she has not got any Canadian citizen/PR relatives either, then yes she can.

Given that she's got children, then I assume you wouldn't qualify.

But which province is she in? There are one or two that allow family sponsorship under their PNP.
We are planning to go down the pnp route, and my mum and stepdad are keen to get PR and be sponsered. I Know its on hold at the moment but does that mean we can only sponser her anyway I wasnt aware of there possibly being a way through the pnp route , is there any write up on this in the wiki? Also my fiance is the main applicant , does it make a difference that its my mum and step dad not his?
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:27 am
Gained PR July 2014

she is a canadian citizen having moved there 50 years ago and all her children were born in canada??
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:43 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissyb
We are planning to go down the pnp route, and my mum and stepdad are keen to get PR and be sponsered. I Know its on hold at the moment but does that mean we can only sponser her anyway I wasnt aware of there possibly being a way through the pnp route , is there any write up on this in the wiki? Also my fiance is the main applicant , does it make a difference that its my mum and step dad not his?
I'd say not as you (when you have pr) will have other family members that are also prs

she is a canadian citizen having moved there 50 years ago and all her children were born in canada??
Then no she has other relatives so imo she couldn't sponsor you.

Read C/O's highlighted part again

Last edited by mandymoochops; Oct 26th 2012 at 4:45 am.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=mandymoochops;10351391]I'd say not as you (when you have pr) will have other family members that are also prs

Sorry Mandymoochops I am still a little confused by your reply.Do you mean not as me as I wasnt the principal applicant? But we could sponser both of them?
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:55 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming hat you have to be a pr / citizen to sponsor a family member through PNP then it would stand to reason that it wouldn't matter who the principle applicant would have been, you and your hubby would both have pr.

However as yuou would have other family members with you in Canada as pr's (husband / kids) then you wouldn't be able to sponsor your mum or dad (and it would only be one of them anyway!!!!).

This is only as I see it but I'd count it out.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 8:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissyb
Which PNP are you going through? There is info in the wiki about family sponsorship, or of course you could just look at the web site for the PNP you are applying under to see if it's one if the ones with a Family Stream.

It won't matter who is the main applicant, as you'll both be PRs and any PR can sponsor parents (well, once the program is unpaused of course, and once you've earnt enough money etc!).

And you need to re-read the whole section on the CIC website about family sponsorship rather than just the bit Linda has quoted above, as that has nothing to do with sponsoring parents, so you're reading it out of context.

So no, It doesn't look like she can sponsor you then. Although you haven't answered my question about which province she's in so the PNP may still be an option.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 26th 2012 at 8:32 am.