Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring a Child for Citizenship

Wikiposts

Sponsoring a Child for Citizenship

Old Jun 16th 2024, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

SaVon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsoring a Child for Citizenship

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen due to my mum being Canadian. But I was born in and grew up in the UK (where my dad was from).

Most of my family on my mum's side live there and me and my (British) husband want to move, as his company is expanding into Canada and want workers to move over there and will pay for us to relocate there, and I would be happy to be closer to my mum's family.

My husband's job have said relocation would likely be in the next year or so, but they cannot guarantee it.

My question is:

How easy is it to sponsor your child to gain citizenship while IN Canada?

I realise it would be much easier to have my child in Canada, but we are mid-30s and cannot afford to wait much longer to start trying for a family.

Because I only have citizenship through my mother and my husband will only have a PR visa through work, if we have kids prior to relocating, how doable is it to attain citizenship for a child AFTER being in Canada?

Your help is appreciated.
Old Jun 17th 2024, 12:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring a Child for Citizenship

Originally Posted by SaVon
Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen due to my mum being Canadian. But I was born in and grew up in the UK (where my dad was from).

Most of my family on my mum's side live there and me and my (British) husband want to move, as his company is expanding into Canada and want workers to move over there and will pay for us to relocate there, and I would be happy to be closer to my mum's family.

My husband's job have said relocation would likely be in the next year or so, but they cannot guarantee it.

My question is:

How easy is it to sponsor your child to gain citizenship while IN Canada?

I realise it would be much easier to have my child in Canada, but we are mid-30s and cannot afford to wait much longer to start trying for a family.

Because I only have citizenship through my mother and my husband will only have a PR visa through work, if we have kids prior to relocating, how doable is it to attain citizenship for a child AFTER being in Canada?

Your help is appreciated.
Hi, and welcome to BE.

You can't sponsor your child for citizenship, you'd sponsor them for PR. The same as you'd ideally do for your husband. You mention him having PR through work but that would be unusual, it would normally just be a temp work permit and it would be far easier for you to just sponsor him now ahead of the move, so he arrives with PR.

I'd first double check that your child won't be a Canadian citizen (I assume not from what you've said, but take the test on the IRCC website just to be sure), if not then you'll sponsor them for PR first and then s/he can get citizenship after that. It'll be very easy to do.

HTH, good luck.
Old Today, 8:52 am
Just Joined

SaVon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsoring a Child for Citizenship

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

You can't sponsor your child for citizenship, you'd sponsor them for PR. The same as you'd ideally do for your husband. You mention him having PR through work but that would be unusual, it would normally just be a temp work permit and it would be far easier for you to just sponsor him now ahead of the move, so he arrives with PR.

I'd first double check that your child won't be a Canadian citizen (I assume not from what you've said, but take the test on the IRCC website just to be sure), if not then you'll sponsor them for PR first and then s/he can get citizenship after that. It'll be very easy to do.

HTH, good luck.
Hi,

Thanks so much for the reply.

Because I was born in the UK and my mum was a naturalised Canadian citizen, my kids definitely wouldn't get citizenship.

I thought sponsoring a child would be fraught with difficulty, and could end up with us being unable to move if they didn't get it, but sounds like it would be okay?

From memory, after 5+ years of PR, they would then qualify for citizenship?

Having a situation where it wouldn't be guaranteed that they could stay in the country but we could would be an absolute nightmare.

Thanks again for your help!