Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsored baby landing - goods to follow?

Sponsored baby landing - goods to follow?

Old Apr 19th 2005, 4:23 am
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all
Default Sponsored baby landing - goods to follow?

Looks like our baby's application is going to go through and we are going back to Canada!!! Now here is my question: we've been out for about 16 months, and we have acquired some goods including a car. Since we are within the allowed out-of-coutry period I don't think we have to apply for any returing resident permit, and therefore the way I see it is that we can't import our car duty-free. However, the baby is going to be landing, and I just wonder if she can import it...? Is there any age restriction for importing a car? What about a crib and a changing table? Those are definitely hers... Or is there any other way of bringing our things acquired during a temporary stay (school) in the US into Canada? Any input will be appreciated.

EXCITED EXCITED EXCITED. Done with school and looking for a job while smiling!

J.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsored baby landing - goods to follow?

Hi,

Not an expert but I'd say unless your baby's name is on the car documents as the registered owner s/he's not going to be allowed to bring it in

Have you seen this document? Lots of customs info for returning residents... http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/.../rc4044-e.html

Best,

Biiiiink
Old Apr 20th 2005, 3:22 am
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Hi,

Not an expert but I'd say unless your baby's name is on the car documents as the registered owner s/he's not going to be allowed to bring it in

Have you seen this document? Lots of customs info for returning residents... http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/.../rc4044-e.html

Best,

Biiiiink
Thank you very much for answering. I've looked everywhere (I think) and I can't find anything about this situation, I guess it is not such a good idea. I think I'm gonna ask when landing, and if they say no, we'll just pay the duties. And on that line, I have a question about the value that we should declare on the car. On one page it says that we will pay duties based on what we paid for the car, on another one it says it's going to be based on what the car is worth now. Which one is true?... I might end up calling customs, but the only time I've tried that it took me about two hours to get to talk to somebody... Does anybody know...?
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

thermophile is an unknown quantity at this point

When I "landed" I declared the value of everything but my car. The customs lady that was doing my paperwork looked that value up. Mine case was a bit weird because I have't gotten my PR status yet, so really did not expect to pre-land (that's what immigration at the border called it). She saia my 10 year old Accord was worth $6500-a bit high but I didn't have to pay duty so didn't really care.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 7:42 pm
Canadians!!

Originally Posted by thermophile
When I "landed" I declared the value of everything but my car. The customs lady that was doing my paperwork looked that value up. Mine case was a bit weird because I have't gotten my PR status yet, so really did not expect to pre-land (that's what immigration at the border called it). She saia my 10 year old Accord was worth $6500-a bit high but I didn't have to pay duty so didn't really care.

Thanks for the info. The value you were given does seem a bit high, I wonder what they'll come up with for my car. I guess I'll have to wait and see! I'm still excited though, what's some more money to pay- we have already spent a fortune on this whole process anyway... Thanks!