Sponsor wife

Old Jul 1st 2007, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Sorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really nice
Default Sponsor wife

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question - I hope someone knows the answer (Having waded through the Canadian High Commission London automated voicemail which has about 300 layers!)

I have Canadian Citizenship by parentage and have applied for my 2 children to have the same. We have recently bought a house in Collingwood, ONT, which we will move to within the next year. I know that because I have nationality I have the following questions I can't get the anawer to from the CHC.

-- Do I have to sponsor my wife, who is German but lived with me in UK for 15 years?

-- Can I do it from UK or can we move there, with her on a visitors visa, and then I apply?

-- What other complications would there be?

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies,
Jim
Old Jul 1st 2007, 5:54 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsor wife

Yes, you will have to sponsor your wife. You can do it from the UK before you go or after you arrive. Best might be to do it before as that way she could work immediately if that is a consideration. Check out the CIC's website at www.cic.gc.ca and go to the forms and applications are for forms and guides to applying.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsor wife

Originally Posted by Sorbz62
-- Do I have to sponsor my wife, who is German but lived with me in UK for 15 years?

-- Can I do it from UK or can we move there, with her on a visitors visa, and then I apply?
Better to get your wife an immigration visa before she leaves the UK. Turning up as a tourist with plans to stay on is a much more complicated way of doing things.

Has your wife thought about becoming a British citizen before she leaves the UK? She can keep her German citizenship if she gets German government permission first.

And even if she loses German citizenship, it might be better to swap for a British passport which she could then keep upon becoming a Canadian citizen later on.

You may also want to get German passports for your children, if they don't already have them.