Sponsor Undertaking - Maternity

Old Nov 21st 2007, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Iggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsor Undertaking - Maternity

Hi,

My wife received her PR last year and in doing so I had to sign a sponsor undertaking per the normal process. By doing this I am responsible for her financially for 3 years and am responsible to pay back any social assistance she may receive.

My question has to do with maternity benefits. Does this fall under the "social assistance" umbrella as defined in the undertaking? If she was to have a baby during this period, even though she has worked in Canada for over 3 years and paid EI premiums, is she not eligible for these benefits?

Just wondering if anyone knows for sure what is included in social assistance....must plan accordingly!!

Thanks
Old Nov 21st 2007, 6:09 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsor Undertaking - Maternity

Hi

Originally Posted by Iggy
Hi,

My wife received her PR last year and in doing so I had to sign a sponsor undertaking per the normal process. By doing this I am responsible for her financially for 3 years and am responsible to pay back any social assistance she may receive.

My question has to do with maternity benefits. Does this fall under the "social assistance" umbrella as defined in the undertaking? If she was to have a baby during this period, even though she has worked in Canada for over 3 years and paid EI premiums, is she not eligible for these benefits?

Just wondering if anyone knows for sure what is included in social assistance....must plan accordingly!!

Thanks

Social Assistance are the PC words for welfare. Maternity Benefits/EI are not social assistance.

PMM
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Iggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsor Undertaking - Maternity

Excellent. Thanks very much for the clarification!