Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsor Spouse Via Damascus, Syria

Sponsor Spouse Via Damascus, Syria

Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

TrinaForest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsor Spouse Via Damascus, Syria

Hi, my husband is currently sponsoring me to come to Canada. We had to choose Damascus Syria as the visa processing office. I am British but lived most of my life in Cyprus, so Syria is responsible for residents of Cyprus. They started processing my application on the 30th of September, 2011. My husband received a letter stating that he is eligible to sponsor me and that my application was forwarded to the visa office in Syria. I am very concerned about the processing time as the website states the average processing time for Syria is 13 months. There is a lot of conflict going on in Syria at the moment so I worry it might take longer. I called CIC Canada today and the lady on the phone asked me if I knew they had put a hold on all aplications. She wasn't sure but just assumed that was the case?? Does 'average processing time' mean most applications will be processed in 13 months? I have traced my application online and it's asking me to update our home/mailing address. Does that mean they are progressing with my application? It suddenly appeared last night and I check the website maybe three times a week.

Any information would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 8:08 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsor Spouse Via Damascus, Syria

My case was processed much faster than the 'average' time listed for the Paris office. That being said there must be some who are on the other end of those timelines. Best of luck....you are in a bit of a problem here.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

TrinaForest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsor Spouse Via Damascus, Syria

Originally Posted by MillieF
My case was processed much faster than the 'average' time listed for the Paris office. That being said there must be some who are on the other end of those timelines. Best of luck....you are in a bit of a problem here.
Thank you, glad your application was processed quickly, it makes life easier and less stressful! Hope it's the case with mine too... wish I had submitted my application a year ago as the processing time was 6 months. I guess it increased due to the conflict over there.