Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsor Spouse - Application Sent - What next?

Sponsor Spouse - Application Sent - What next?

Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

TrinaForest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsor Spouse - Application Sent - What next?

I have submitted my forms for spousal sponsorship and it was received in Mississauga yesterday. Sent it via data post so was able to trace it. I was just wondering where and how they will contact me? I gave them my e-mail address on the form... and although I sent it from Cyprus - I used our mailing address where my husband resides in Canada on the forms. What usually happens when they receive an application? Do they send you a letter to acknowledge receipt of the application - or do they simply state whether or not it has been approved for step 1? I chose Damascus Syria as the processing office as I have lived in Cyprus for most of my life and keep flying back and forth to my husband in Canada... he only moved here last year and was living with me in Cyprus prior to that. The website does state that London has a quicker processing time - but seeing as I lived in Cyprus - I had to do my medical exam there as it was easier than flying to the UK. Plus my criminal check would need to be done in Cyprus as I resided there for most of my life. Now that Ive submitted everything Im very excited and just dont know what to expect next. I submitted photos of my husband and I throughout the years (we have been together for 10+ years) so they could see how we have aged together... and of course lots of pictures of our greek orthodox wedding surrounded by family and friends. I got our wedding invitation translated in Cyprus... we were married in 2007. Would this be enough proof for them? Of course I have been back and forth to Canada to spend time with my husband so they would be able to see that. How accurate are the processing times?

thanks!
Old Jul 27th 2011, 9:13 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsor Spouse - Application Sent - What next?

Hi

Originally Posted by TrinaForest
I have submitted my forms for spousal sponsorship and it was received in Mississauga yesterday. Sent it via data post so was able to trace it. I was just wondering where and how they will contact me? I gave them my e-mail address on the form... and although I sent it from Cyprus - I used our mailing address where my husband resides in Canada on the forms. What usually happens when they receive an application? Do they send you a letter to acknowledge receipt of the application - or do they simply state whether or not it has been approved for step 1? I chose Damascus Syria as the processing office as I have lived in Cyprus for most of my life and keep flying back and forth to my husband in Canada... he only moved here last year and was living with me in Cyprus prior to that. The website does state that London has a quicker processing time - but seeing as I lived in Cyprus - I had to do my medical exam there as it was easier than flying to the UK. Plus my criminal check would need to be done in Cyprus as I resided there for most of my life. Now that Ive submitted everything Im very excited and just dont know what to expect next. I submitted photos of my husband and I throughout the years (we have been together for 10+ years) so they could see how we have aged together... and of course lots of pictures of our greek orthodox wedding surrounded by family and friends. I got our wedding invitation translated in Cyprus... we were married in 2007. Would this be enough proof for them? Of course I have been back and forth to Canada to spend time with my husband so they would be able to see that. How accurate are the processing times?

thanks!
1. The sponsor will receive a letter of approval or refusal of the sponsorship in about 46 days by mail, and stating that the application was forwarded to Damascus for processing.
2. Damascus may or may not send you an AOR stating that they have received the application.
3. It is Damascus's decision whether you have provided sufficient information as to the bona fides of the marriage.
4. According to www.data.gc.ca in 2009 80% of spousal application where completed in 7 months.