Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsor Questionnaire - Provide additional details of relationship

Sponsor Questionnaire - Provide additional details of relationship

Old May 27th 2012, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

scottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond repute
Question Sponsor Questionnaire - Provide additional details of relationship

In the form IMM5540 at the bottom, it states

'On a separate sheet of paper, provide any additional details of your current relationship that you believe would help to prove your relationship is genuine and continuing'

Does this mean we have to provide the same documentary evidence of relationship twice?

I thought I had seen a similar question on the forum but cannot find it in the search.
Old May 27th 2012, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

dan09uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsor Questionnaire - Provide additional details of relationship

Originally Posted by scottish_maple
In the form IMM5540 at the bottom, it states

'On a separate sheet of paper, provide any additional details of your current relationship that you believe would help to prove your relationship is genuine and continuing'

Does this mean we have to provide the same documentary evidence of relationship twice?

I thought I had seen a similar question on the forum but cannot find it in the search.
I made a relationship timeline in word with important dates, like when/where we met, university events, friend/family meetings, trips/holidays together, employment dates. We also indicated if there were photos attached that matched anything in the timeline as proof.

We also summarized on a separate page things that prove we are in a common law relationship together, ie joint car purchase/loan, joint credit cards, bank accounts, car insurance, rental agreement, bills, phone contracts and other stuff we both our names on.
Old May 27th 2012, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

scottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan09uk
I made a relationship timeline in word with important dates, like when/where we met, university events, friend/family meetings, trips/holidays together, employment dates. We also indicated if there were photos attached that matched anything in the timeline as proof.

We also summarized on a separate page things that prove we are in a common law relationship together, ie joint car purchase/loan, joint credit cards, bank accounts, car insurance, rental agreement, bills, phone contracts and other stuff we both our names on.
thanks for replying, so for this section you basically just wrote a letter as the sponsor backing up what was already in the applications proof of relationship?
Old May 27th 2012, 3:17 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

There is need to shop sincerity and some effort is required to do this. Otherwise its an open door to abuse.
Old May 27th 2012, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
There is need to shop sincerity and some effort is required to do this. Otherwise its an open door to abuse.
Sorry, Jim. I don't understand what you mean by this...
Old May 27th 2012, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Deficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura about

It remains to be seen whether I'll get approved but my husband (sponsor) and I didn't bother to add anything for that, since absolutely everything we wanted them to know was covered in various places elsewhere in the package and it seemed like a waste of time to reiterate stuff.

I wonder to what extent they regard the sponsor and the sponsored persons forms as separate/parallel pieces of evidence that are obviously expected to match up? I can imagine in most cases the process of putting together the application is either a collaborative effort between the spouses or done entirely by one (the latter was the case for me, I did pretty much everything albeit with verbal consultation with my husband) and there wouldn't be much scope for inconsistency. I can't imagine many cases where each completes their own forms and has no input on the other's forms, where there may be opportunity to 'catch you out' for not giving consistent accounts of the relationship. But who knows.

Anyway, just thinking out loud a bit there. You'll probably want to put something down just for peace of mind, I guess. I still think it's a waste of effort and paper just to recount stuff that's already covered, but whether the visa officer takes the same view, I do not know.
Old May 27th 2012, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deficient
It remains to be seen whether I'll get approved but my husband (sponsor) and I didn't bother to add anything for that, since absolutely everything we wanted them to know was covered in various places elsewhere in the package and it seemed like a waste of time to reiterate stuff.

I wonder to what extent they regard the sponsor and the sponsored persons forms as separate/parallel pieces of evidence that are obviously expected to match up? I can imagine in most cases the process of putting together the application is either a collaborative effort between the spouses or done entirely by one (the latter was the case for me, I did pretty much everything albeit with verbal consultation with my husband) and there wouldn't be much scope for inconsistency. I can't imagine many cases where each completes their own forms and has no input on the other's forms, where there may be opportunity to 'catch you out' for not giving consistent accounts of the relationship. But who knows.

Anyway, just thinking out loud a bit there. You'll probably want to put something down just for peace of mind, I guess. I still think it's a waste of effort and paper just to recount stuff that's already covered, but whether the visa officer takes the same view, I do not know.
I totally agree with you! CIC seem to confuse the situation by referring to the 2 stages as seperate and then together...If they would just talk about the application as one, it would be less confusing. I am not sure why they would require proof of relationship for eligibility to sponsor, its my understanding from the forms that their decision is purely on the basis of financial, so it seems a little strange to have this questionnaire and have it placed in the seperate (1st) stage..why not just add it to the second stage, where the couple would be working on it together.

But your right...for piece of mind, we will probably add a letter or something.
Old May 27th 2012, 4:13 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This is your opportunity to put down sincerely, in your own words, the story of your relationship - how it started, what made it special, how you fell in love, what your plans were/are etc. It's not about cold hard facts, it's about feelings.

It's probably one of the most important parts of the application form.

Think of it this way. If someone gave you the forms to read through would you be able to ascertain the genuineness of a relationship purely from the factual details provided? Probably not. If you then read the additional sheet which contained a heartfelt 'essay' showing how much the person cares for their spouse, would you have more idea?

This is what an IO has to do - so the more genuine and 'real' you can make it, the more chance there is that s/he will see your relationship is genuine.

Write it as though you were telling a long distance friend all about your relationship and how awesome it is and you won't go far wrong.

Old May 27th 2012, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by siouxie
This is your opportunity to put down sincerely, in your own words, the story of your relationship - how it started, what made it special, how you fell in love, what your plans were/are etc. It's not about cold hard facts, it's about feelings.

It's probably one of the most important parts of the application form.

Think of it this way. If someone gave you the forms to read through would you be able to ascertain the genuineness of a relationship purely from the factual details provided? Probably not. If you then read the additional sheet which contained a heartfelt 'essay' showing how much the person cares for their spouse, would you have more idea?

This is what an IO has to do - so the more genuine and 'real' you can make it, the more chance there is that s/he will see your relationship is genuine.

Write it as though you were telling a long distance friend all about your relationship and how awesome it is and you won't go far wrong.

Thanks Siouxie. We were going to do this anyway...but for the applicants section under additional evidence. I just wish cic would have explained it in your words...they don't even provide guidance on what there looking for, it seems to be a guessing game. But thanks for clearing that up
Old May 27th 2012, 5:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie. We were going to do this anyway...but for the applicants section under additional evidence. I just wish cic would have explained it in your words...they don't even provide guidance on what there looking for, it seems to be a guessing game. But thanks for clearing that up
I should mention this one should be from the Sponsors point of view and the other section would be from the Applicants point of view, so two separate 'letters' are needed.

They don't make it easy do they!

When I did mine (ours, lol) I talked about what attracted us initially and then ongoing, the interactions with family, how we were co-dependent in an emotional way (complimenting each other's strengths and weaknesses), what our plans were, how much fun we had together ... blah blah blah. Seemed to work though, lol.

Last edited by Siouxie; May 27th 2012 at 5:29 am.
Old May 27th 2012, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

I should mention this one should be from the Sponsors point of view and the other section would be from the Applicants point of view, so two separate 'letters' are needed.

They don't make it easy do they!

When I did mine (ours, lol) I talked about what attracted us initially and then ongoing, the interactions with family, how we were co-dependent in an emotional way (complimenting each other's strengths and weaknesses), what our plans were, how much fun we had together ... blah blah blah. Seemed to work though, lol.

They certainly do not..lol My hubby is visiting us for his birthday in June. So we are hoping to have the majority of the application done by the end of that week and have it sent by End of August at latest
Old May 27th 2012, 5:38 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, Jim. I don't understand what you mean by this...
My mistake - I meant show sincerity.
Old May 28th 2012, 2:34 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

What we did was created an appendix where we put all the evidence of our relationship that we could find. We made a photo essay, included copies of our lease and of bank account statements, copies of wedding-related things we'd signed (like our deposit with the hotel and the ceremony etc), and just organised it that way. Then anywhere that referenced "provide evidence of your relationship", we just wrote "Please refer to the following appendices included with our application: Apx A: Copies of residental lease. Apx B: Copies of wedding contracts with vendors." etc etc etc; I think our appendix had 12 or so sections in the end. Only have sponsor approval so far but it saved us from writing everything twice, and meant that all forms referred to one location. When we mailed the package we just put the appendix in one large bankers clip.
Old May 28th 2012, 2:47 am
Banned

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
What we did was created an appendix where we put all the evidence of our relationship that we could find. We made a photo essay, included copies of our lease and of bank account statements, copies of wedding-related things we'd signed (like our deposit with the hotel and the ceremony etc), and just organised it that way. Then anywhere that referenced "provide evidence of your relationship", we just wrote "Please refer to the following appendices included with our application: Apx A: Copies of residental lease. Apx B: Copies of wedding contracts with vendors." etc etc etc; I think our appendix had 12 or so sections in the end. Only have sponsor approval so far but it saved us from writing everything twice, and meant that all forms referred to one location. When we mailed the package we just put the appendix in one large bankers clip.
Those items are evidence - hard facts, if you like - and whilst very important the point of the "additional details of the relationship" is for you to have the opportunity to put down in your own words the emotional 'essence' of your relationship, thus revealing your sincerity and genuineness to the IO.

Old May 28th 2012, 2:51 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Those items are evidence - hard facts, if you like - and whilst very important the point of the "additional details of the relationship" is for you to have the opportunity to put down in your own words the emotional 'essence' of your relationship, thus revealing your sincerity and genuineness to the IO.

Yep, there was one section as well that was a "Provide a narrative of your relationship" - husband just about barfed when he read it. 5 pages of how we met first, him asking me on our first date, deciding to move in together, first trips together, how he proposed, and plans for the wedding (app was submitted pre-wedding)... lots of schmaltz in there, haha. Genuine, yes, but his gag reflex is pretty weak. :P

The photo essay as well was pretty telling - it was about 60 photos long with a narrative going through it - basically is almost a picture book to go along with the other essay, had pics of us on trips together, pics with family members, at his brother's son's christening, pics from our engagement, that sort of thing. I included it along with all the other factual stuff one, to back it up, and two, they need all of it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.