British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Sponsor parent / Supervisa questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/sponsor-parent-supervisa-questions-782886/)

Alabama Jan 7th 2013 4:33 pm

Sponsor parent / Supervisa questions

I'm hoping to get my mum over here in the next 10 years (preferably sooner).
I wonder if anyone knows more about if/when the Sponsorship of parents 'ban' will be lifted???

I'm aware of the Supervisa but that its for a maximum of 2 years....can you then reapply for another 2 years later on?

If anyone has any useful information you can share with me then it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Former Lancastrian Jan 7th 2013 4:44 pm

Re: Sponsor parent / Supervisa questions

Originally Posted by Alabama (Post 10469375)
I'm hoping to get my mum over here in the next 10 years (preferably sooner).
I wonder if anyone knows more about if/when the Sponsorship of parents 'ban' will be lifted???

I'm aware of the Supervisa but that its for a maximum of 2 years....can you then reapply for another 2 years later on?

If anyone has any useful information you can share with me then it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

It doesnt say you cant;)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/supervisa-how.asp

Alabama Jan 7th 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks.
Just read the FAQ's on there and it suggests the ban should be lifted this year.

Jerseygirl Jan 7th 2013 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Alabama (Post 10469429)
Thanks.
Just read the FAQ's on there and it suggests the ban should be lifted this year.

Oh I do hope so...we would like to move to Canada. :fingerscrossed:

PMM Jan 7th 2013 5:34 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10469433)
Oh I do hope so...we would like to move to Canada. :fingerscrossed:

Dollars to Donuts the parents visa will be similar to Australia with a cap, where there is 2 categories, non-contributory waiting time is 15 years and contributory with a visa cost of $16K to $42K and the Balance of Family test, where you have to have more children living in Australia than living abroad. Processing time 12-24 months. We shall see.

Alabama Jan 7th 2013 5:42 pm

I better get saving then.:eek:

Jerseygirl Jan 7th 2013 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 10469492)
Hi

Dollars to Donuts the parents visa will be similar to Australia with a cap, where there is 2 categories, non-contributory waiting time is 15 years and contributory with a visa cost of $16K to $42K and the Balance of Family test, where you have to have more children living in Australia than living abroad. Processing time 12-24 months. We shall see.

In case 12 to 24 months seems the one to go for...if it is similar to the Oz one. :fingerscrossed: :thumbsup:

Pancakes Jan 7th 2013 6:05 pm

Hi,

Please could you explain the two options a bit more - the contributory (and shorter wait time) - does that mean the sponsored parent needs to have those funds available? Or is that the actual cost of the visa/application/RPRF?

Thanks
P.

PMM Jan 7th 2013 6:15 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by Pancakes (Post 10469555)
Hi,

Please could you explain the two options a bit more - the contributory (and shorter wait time) - does that mean the sponsored parent needs to have those funds available? Or is that the actual cost of the visa/application/RPRF?

Thanks
P.

In Australia for the contributory visa (shorter wait time) it is what you pay for the visa issuance.

Jerseygirl Jan 7th 2013 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 10469576)
Hi

In Australia for the contributory visa (shorter wait time) it is what you pay for the visa issuance.

Do you know if preference will be given to those who already have the super visa...or is it first come first served?

PMM Jan 7th 2013 7:04 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10469607)
Do you know if preference will be given to those who already have the super visa...or is it first come first served?

No, It was just an educated guess as to what would happen to parental sponsorship when/if it reopens.

Jo&Alex Jan 7th 2013 9:00 pm

Does anybody happen to know if they still intend to process the applications that went in before they cancelled the sponsorship programme? I've been checking online, but the processing time has not been updated in more than a year it seems.... Or are they going to take the old route of just refunding us all?

My mum will not move to Canada without a permanent visa, and I can't say I blame her. She is not interested in having to go back and forth, and it doesn't make sense to dispose of everything and come here, if she's only allowed to stay for 2 years. I do worry that while waiting (going on 3 years now) she'll get sick and won't be able to pass the medicals anymore. But I guess that's exactly what CIC is counting on.

Alabama Jan 7th 2013 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jo&Alex (Post 10469940)
Does anybody happen to know if they still intend to process the applications that went in before they cancelled the sponsorship programme? I've been checking online, but the processing time has not been updated in more than a year it seems.... Or are they going to take the old route of just refunding us all?

My mum will not move to Canada without a permanent visa, and I can't say I blame her. She is not interested in having to go back and forth, and it doesn't make sense to dispose of everything and come here, if she's only allowed to stay for 2 years. I do worry that while waiting (going on 3 years now) she'll get sick and won't be able to pass the medicals anymore. But I guess that's exactly what CIC is counting on.

Not sure if this will help
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...asp?q=336&t=14

Jo&Alex Jan 7th 2013 9:35 pm

Thank you for the link.

Yes, I saw that. But there have been no updates on the processing times for over a year; they are still acknowledging applications received by April 2011, just as they were ~12 months ago, when I first started checking.... I guess I was hoping somebody who had managed to get their sponsorship application processed recently would share their joy.

Nothing to do really, but WAIT. Will do!

veereid Jan 8th 2013 3:27 pm

Does anyone one please know if one joins one's family on a 2 year super granny visa (which I understand can be renewed) is one entitled to take furniture/goods etc in order to furnish a walkout basement/granny flat in the house, or if you chose to rent a small apartment nearby?