Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsor niece and nephew who are not orphaned?

Sponsor niece and nephew who are not orphaned?

Old Dec 27th 2014, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of
Default Sponsor niece and nephew who are not orphaned?

I was reading the CIC's "Sponsor your eligible relatives" but a bit confused on section "Who you can sponsor".

Determine your eligibility – Sponsor your eligible relatives

I am not sure if I can sponsor any of my relatives. Here is my case.

I have one brother and one sister. They both are married with one child. My brother (40y.o.) has a 9-year-old son, and my sister (42 y.o.) has a 13-year-old daughter. I am thinking to sponsor my niece and nephew to have a better opportunity in Canada. Is it possible?

By the way, I have a Canadian PR with no relative in Canada. My annual income is a little under 100K. Both my parents are retired and happy to stay where they live now.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsor niece and nephew who are not orphaned?

You will not be permitted to sponsor them.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 9:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As it says on the CIC website 'you can sponsor brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, or grandchildren who are orphaned, are under 18 and do not have a spouse or common-law partner,

Sorry, but they'll need to get visas on their own merits when old enough. And would your brother and sister really be happy giving up their young children to live with you, or have I read it wrong?!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 27th 2014 at 9:57 am.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

What does this mean:

"You can sponsor one relative of any age or relationship, but only if you do not have one of these living relatives who could be sponsored as a member of the family class:

spouse or common-law partner,
conjugal partner,
son or daughter,
parent,
grandparent,
sibling, or
uncle, aunt, nephew or niece"
Old Dec 27th 2014, 10:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidsk
What does this mean:

"You can sponsor one relative of any age or relationship, but only if you do not have one of these living relatives who could be sponsored as a member of the family class:

spouse or common-law partner,
conjugal partner,
son or daughter,
parent,
grandparent,
sibling, or
uncle, aunt, nephew or niece"
It means exactly what it says. You can sponsor one relative if you don't have any other - as you've mentioned parents, that clearly doesn't apply to you.

HTH.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 10:14 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading the CIC's "Sponsor your eligible relatives" but a bit confused on section "Who you can sponsor".

Determine your eligibility – Sponsor your eligible relatives

I am not sure if I can sponsor any of my relatives. Here is my case.

I have one brother and one sister. They both are married with one child. My brother (40y.o.) has a 9-year-old son, and my sister (42 y.o.) has a 13-year-old daughter. I am thinking to sponsor my niece and nephew to have a better opportunity in Canada. Is it possible?

By the way, I have a Canadian PR with no relative in Canada. My annual income is a little under 100K. Both my parents are retired and happy to stay where they live now.
This is a new one on me! Where do your niece and nephew live that their parents would be prepared to let them leave to live with you? even if it was possible?
Old Dec 27th 2014, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
This is a new one on me! Where do your niece and nephew live that their parents would be prepared to let them leave to live with you? even if it was possible?
They are in China. Both niece and nephew's parents are struggling and work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. They don't really have time to look after or mentor them. The two little ones are very smart. The Chinese education is ridiculous too. They both have 8-hour class every week day plus 2-3 hour homework at night and extra homework at weekend. I have been through that and I still often have nightmare having classes even after having left the school for almost 20 years. China may produce a lot of "well-educated" people but we are all damaged. So I think Canada would provide much happier and healthier life for them.

Last edited by davidsk; Dec 27th 2014 at 10:26 am.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 10:32 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

They are in China. Both niece and nephew's parents are struggling and work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. They don't really have time to look after or mentor them. The two little ones are very smart. The Chinese education is ridiculous too. They both have 8-hour class every week day plus 2-3 hour homework at night and extra homework at weekend. I have been through that and I still often have nightmare having classes even after having left the school for almost 20 years. China may produce a lot of "well-educated" people but we are all damaged. So I think Canada would provide much happier and healthier life for them.
Oh I see. That makes more sense then. Looks like the rules are against you and them though. Could they come here as international students? Although I imagine that would be very expensive. Otherwise the cost of their education would presumably fall on us the Canadian tax payers.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Oh I see. That makes more sense then. Looks like the rules are against you and them though. Could they come here as international students? Although I imagine that would be very expensive. Otherwise the cost of their education would presumably fall on us the Canadian tax payers.
I can't afford to sponsor them as an International student. In NS, the tuition for Primary-Grade 6: $12,300, Grades 7-12: $13,600.

Last edited by davidsk; Dec 27th 2014 at 11:05 am.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 12:41 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I can't afford to sponsor them as an International student. In NS, the tuition for Primary-Grade 6: $12,300, Grades 7-12: $13,600.
So by saying "sponsor" you mean fly them here, give them free room and board while they use the free/tax funded Canadian education system?

Sponsor would mean that you pay for their education and all other fees IMO
Old Dec 27th 2014, 12:46 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by magnumpi
So by saying "sponsor" you mean fly them here, give them free room and board while they use the free/tax funded Canadian education system?

Sponsor would mean that you pay for their education and all other fees IMO
Not wishing to be judgemental about the OP's desire to give the best to his family, but presumably they would also anticipate free health care. The fact seems to be that the whole venture is neither financially or legally viable. OP, could you "sponsor" them to get an international education in China? Maybe that would be cheaper?
Old Dec 28th 2014, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

I guess I should abandon the thought. Thanks.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 4:55 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I should abandon the thought. Thanks.
If it proved you could sponsor, you could only sponsor one of them, not both.