sponsor brothers

Old Mar 26th 2007, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

bettina margaret is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sponsor brothers

I need your expert advice....

I became a permanent resident of canada last January and I would like to sponsor my single brothers aged 21 & 30 next year.

Is this possible and what steps do you suggest i take?

Thanks!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:27 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sponsor brothers

Originally Posted by bettina margaret

I became a permanent resident of canada last January and I would like to sponsor my single brothers aged 21 & 30 next year.

Thanks!
Not sure you can if they are over 18 but someone may well correct me.....they usually do.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

RodseyUK will become famous soon enoughRodseyUK will become famous soon enough

As Tangram says, the rules only allow you to sponsor brothers if they are under 18 and not married or in a common-law relationship when you have an aunt, uncle or family member from the list who you could sponsor or who is already a Canadian citizen.

You can sponsor any relative of any age if you don't have an aunt, uncle or family member from the list who you could sponsor or who is already a Canadian citizen.

Here is the link to teh CIC Sponsorship page:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/index.html

Last edited by RodseyUK; Mar 26th 2007 at 11:44 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:47 pm
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bettina margaret

Thanks!
I beleave you have to have been here for 3 years and earn a certain amount of money per year before you can sponsor them.. But please don`t hold me to this, this is only on recall of all the things I have read over the last 3 years on movin out here...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:50 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Siblings 18 years or older cannot be sponsored, period. They are not members of family class.

Read Section 117 of IRPA Regulations to see who may be sponsored and under what conditions:

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2002-227/sec117.html

The only exception in the above (what everyone is always misunderstanding) states:

a relative of the sponsor, regardless of age, if the sponsor does not have a spouse, a common-law partner, a conjugal partner, a child, a mother or father, a relative who is a child of that mother or father, a relative who is a child of a child of that mother or father, a mother or father of that mother or father or a relative who is a child of the mother or father of that mother or father

(i) who is a Canadian citizen, Indian or permanent resident, or

(ii) whose application to enter and remain in Canada as a permanent resident the sponsor may otherwise sponsor.

So, if sponsor has any listed relative in Canada then s/he cannot sponsor anyone under this exception. If sponsor has outside Canada anyone listed who may be sponsored then this exception also cannot be used, even if such person who may be sponsored doesn't want to be sponsored.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Mar 27th 2007 at 4:52 pm.