Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spent drugs conviction & Entry into Canada

Spent drugs conviction & Entry into Canada

Old Jun 30th 2014, 7:44 am
Just Joined

RedsBoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spent drugs conviction & Entry into Canada

Hello everyone,

I am currently researching to plan a trip for myself, husband and two children to visit family in Canada for a holiday. After looking for an hour or two on various official websites I am still confused! Hopefully you can help.

My husband was convicted for possession of Class A (Ecstasy) 17 years ago at the age of 19. He was given community service. He has not committed any other offence since of any kind.

Do we need to apply for anything to visit Canada or not?
I have read about TRP and Criminal Rehabilitation but I'm not able to find anything clearly stating if it applies to our case.

I am assuming from what I have read that as the offence is over 10 years ago and the maximum prison sentence seems to be less than 10 years for an offence of this kind, he is deemed admissible? Is this correct?
We wouldn't want to turn up at passport control with kids in tow and be turned away!! I have also read that they have our records on file when checking passports.

Thank you in advance for anyone's help on this.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spent drugs conviction & Entry into Canada

Provided you completed any sentence imposed in full and you have only the one conviction then you will be deemed admissible however if asked about arrests,charges and convictions then you must disclose it.
No paperwork to be done as deemed rehabilitated is automatic.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:07 am
Just Joined

RedsBoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spent drugs conviction & Entry into Canada

yes the community service was completed. Seems like we don't need to apply for anything then!