Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Special categories Work Permit and PR Application

Special categories Work Permit and PR Application

Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Special categories Work Permit and PR Application

Apologies if this question has been answered before - I couldn't find where it was.

I have been doing some research to find a job in IT (specifically software development) in Canada on a work permit. Ultimately, I want to gain PR as well. The traditional route, for this type of job, seems is to be:

1. Gain the job (the important bit).
2. Get employer to apply for the work permit and a HDRC positive LMO.

The time consuming bit, and the possible deal-breaker, for some employers maybe getting the HDRC 'positive LMO' (whereby the employer has to prove the job cannot be filled by a Canadian or resident).

Down-hearted, I stumbled upon this:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-tech.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/itw-jobs.asp#jobs6

Quite a few of the Software Development jobs I want to apply for, I think, come under this category. How does this category of work permit fit with a Permanent Residency application - i.e. if I got a job, permit & approval under this scheme, does it get me the additional 10 points on a PR application? (I can't find anywhere on the PR stuff on the CIC site where this is mentioned).

My apologies, if I have the 'wrong end of the stick' here.

Also, would it be prudent to briefly mention this kind of scheme on a covering letter for a job application, selling the fact that there are less hoops to jump through (e.g. no need to prove the job has been advertised for x time etc.)? I know some smaller employers would not be aware of this.

Would it be advisable to get a lawyer in for my PR application in this case?

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:19 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Special categories Work Permit and PR Application

Working in Canada on valid work permit (requiring or not an LMO) qualifies as AE as long as you work there at least until PR visa is issued and of course providing that employer expresses in writing an intention to convert your current temporary position to a full time, permanent one on indeterminate basis once you become a PR.