Space issue on forms

Old Jan 12th 2013, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Space issue on forms

Hi again all,

Haven't managed to find an answer to this online.

On some of the PR forms, it lets you fill out many of the sections on the computer. In particular, I'm filling out schedule A, the background declaration, at the moment.

On the document checklist, it states not to use any abbreviations. However, some of the sections that you can fill out on the computer have a character limit, so things such as 'University of the West of Scotland' for my wife will not fit, but only the abbreviation UWS. Or 'Temporary Foreign Worker' needs shortened to Temp Foreign Worker. Or '120 Eglinton Business Centre' doesn't quite fit by a character or 2.

Just wondering the expected/best approach here. Is there a way in Adobe reader to change the font size and thus fit more, or should I leave those fields blank where there isn't enough room and handwrite? I'm just conscious if I do the latter, it won't scan as easily for them and it'll look daft with some fields next to it computer done, and some hand written.

Just to clarify, I realise that they said attach another piece of paper for further information. I just hardly think a few characters warrant that. I would do that if I needed more lines, but seems daft for something like that where the field simply is a few characters too short.

Any thoughts/tips/advice here would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Space issue on forms

When we were filling our PR forms if something didn't fit we abbreviated it.

So for your wife I would have put Uni of West Scotland

I would put 120 Eglinton Business Ctr

When you are filling in dates for things like job and it has from and to date the one you are in now you will have to write "present" in the to box - also do the same for your current address. People have had forms back for dates being out of date but of course the forms don't allow you to type letters into the space so you have to hand write it.

The forms really could do with a huge overhaul in my opinion. Parts of it were a HUGE ballache to fill in!

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice

Hey,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yep, things like that are rather annoying, lol.

So you think I'm best putting abbreviations like the ones you suggested? That's what I had gone with but then noticed on the docs checklist it said no abbreviations. So my only 2 options were abbreviations like you said, or leave those fields blank and then fill them in by hand after printing, thus having a mix of print and hand written. I just don't want them returned for something like that. Did you use any similar abbreviations? You said you at least did use abbreviations and i'm guessing they weren't returned?

Yep I spotted the dates bit, but they do at least give some guidance there and suggest writing 'today'.

Thanks,

Graham
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham1710
Hey,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yep, things like that are rather annoying, lol.

So you think I'm best putting abbreviations like the ones you suggested? That's what I had gone with but then noticed on the docs checklist it said no abbreviations. So my only 2 options were abbreviations like you said, or leave those fields blank and then fill them in by hand after printing, thus having a mix of print and hand written. I just don't want them returned for something like that. Did you use any similar abbreviations? You said you at least did use abbreviations and i'm guessing they weren't returned?

Yep I spotted the dates bit, but they do at least give some guidance there and suggest writing 'today'.

Thanks,

Graham
You're welcome

Yes I used similar type abbreviations. One thing were were told for GCSE results was to write High School Diploma.

No we didn't get any returned. Have gone through AINP and then sent PR forms off and have since had medical requests and done them so it can't have been a problem.

We had a phone call to approve our AINP application and she said we needed to amend a section about where we lived - and said if we sent it to CIC like that it would be returned. I looked on the paperwork and I had completely omitted my husbands current address... and the amount of times I checked it.... duh... mistakes are easily made - get someone else to check your forms before you send them off. I have found everyone I have spoken to very very helpful.

They are happy to receive forms with some bits handwritten so if you are really worried about abbreviating things then handwrite them. Everyone knows that Uni means University tho don't they? maybe they are talking about abbreviations that they wouldn't know what they meant etc.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Hey,

Thanks for the reply again :-)

Lol, can't believe you forgot his current address, haha. I bet I'll forget something!

So just to confirm, when you said put in high school diploma for your GCSE's, are you talking about this form:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5669E.pdf

In particular, section 7. I did wonder what to put for secondary/high school. Is that what you're meaning? We're from Scotland, so is a mix of standard grades, highers, advanced highers and A-levels (my school offered them too). I had put N/A when I started filling out the form, but do you mean I should put 'High school diploma'? Do I need to send anything proving this (not that I can see from the docs list), or would anyone ask? I'd never call it a diploma, so just checking. As for field of study for school, I just put various.

I think what you're saying about abbreviations make sense, i.e. surely 'Uni' and 'Ctr' are kind of obvious! But if I'm worried, I may handwrite some bits.

Thanks so much again,

Graham.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey,

Thanks for the reply again :-)

Lol, can't believe you forgot his current address, haha. I bet I'll forget something!

So just to confirm, when you said put in high school diploma for your GCSE's, are you talking about this form:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5669E.pdf

In particular, section 7. I did wonder what to put for secondary/high school. Is that what you're meaning? We're from Scotland, so is a mix of standard grades, highers, advanced highers and A-levels (my school offered them too). I had put N/A when I started filling out the form, but do you mean I should put 'High school diploma'? Do I need to send anything proving this (not that I can see from the docs list), or would anyone ask? I'd never call it a diploma, so just checking. As for field of study for school, I just put various.

I think what you're saying about abbreviations make sense, i.e. surely 'Uni' and 'Ctr' are kind of obvious! But if I'm worried, I may handwrite some bits.

Thanks so much again,

Graham.
Ha I know - what a numpty!

Yes that is the form I was talking about.

Yes I wrote High School diploma - even tho I have 9 GCSE's and 3 A'levels. The form has changed - it didn't ask "field of study" on my form.

You know what tho? if you are worried - handwrite it.

We haven't been asked to provide proof of our studies - we do have all the paperwork if requested tho.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey,

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Yep I'm sure I have high school results somewhere. Main one I need to find (or order soon if I can't find) is the uni transcripts. I have the degree for sure, just not sure about the transcripts.

Yep will type all I can and then decide whether to slightly abbreviate as you said or handwrite.

Thanks for your help :-)

Graham
Old Jan 13th 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey,

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Yep I'm sure I have high school results somewhere. Main one I need to find (or order soon if I can't find) is the uni transcripts. I have the degree for sure, just not sure about the transcripts.

Yep will type all I can and then decide whether to slightly abbreviate as you said or handwrite.

Thanks for your help :-)

Graham
You're more than welcome plenty of people helped me on here when I needed it.

Transcripts you have to apply for. It was £10 each from the Uni. I thought they wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about so I rang the main switchboard at my old Uni - got through to the right department and hey presto within a week there it was. At the time we applied it had to be a sealed transcript (an envelope with the Uni stamp on it across the seal). I could also get another copy for £1. I did this and the transcript is a breakdown of years of achievement per uni year. (I went to a Scottish uni so I know that's a different breakdown)

Old Jan 13th 2013, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

My wife seems to have her transcripts (not sealed), but not sure if I have mine.

However, if they need to be sealed, then we'd both need them. Have checked both our uni websites and they both advertise doing them.

Not sure if they still need to be sealed... don't think the checklist said that but I'll check again.

Does anyone else know for sure about the current rules? Just in case theyve changed since you geordie lass :-) Although looks like your dates said you did it last year. .. where did you see that rule? That's a pain if it has to be that way!

What about degree? I sincerely hope a photocopy of that will do! Mine is overly large so isn't going to fit in a standard envelope, plus I'd rather not send, lol.

Thanks,

Graham.

Last edited by graham1710; Jan 13th 2013 at 3:17 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

My wife seems to have her transcripts (not sealed), but not sure if I have mine.

However, if they need to be sealed, then we'd both need them. Have checked both our uni websites and they both advertise doing them.

Not sure if they still need to be sealed... don't think the checklist said that but I'll check again.

Does anyone else know for sure about the current rules? Just in case theyve changed since you geordie lass :-) Although looks like your dates said you did it last year. .. where did you see that rule? That's a pain if it has to be that way!

What about degree? I sincerely hope a photocopy of that will do! Mine is overly large so isn't going to fit in a standard envelope, plus I'd rather not send, lol.

Thanks,

Graham.
I am pretty sure the rules changed after we sorted ours - in that they don't have to be sealed any more. There are other posts about this if you do a search.

Last question - if you are in England - are you a vampire? should you not be fast asleep now?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 3:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Last question - if you are in England - are you a vampire? should you not be fast asleep now?
I don't think he's a vampire. Vampires are notoriously resourceful. The OP is a worrier.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 3:38 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I think the UK and Canada, as english speaking countries, share a lot of common abbreviations so it's not too much of a problem.

Other countries might have their own specific language/terms and abbreviations of such might be hard to interpret.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey,

Lol certainly not a vampire - we're already in Canada on TWP's. We moved here from Scotland about 3 months ago.

And yep, I am certainly a worrier when it comes to something like this - want to get it right up front :-) however I don't think it affects my resourcefulness as we've done a lot already through the TWP and this :-) Some things I like to double check.

Thanks again everyone - I really appreciate the time you've taken to help with answers and reassuring me about some things.

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Hey,

Lol certainly not a vampire - we're already in Canada on TWP's. We moved here from Scotland about 3 months ago.

And yep, I am certainly a worrier when it comes to something like this - want to get it right up front :-) however I don't think it affects my resourcefulness as we've done a lot already through the TWP and this :-) Some things I like to double check.

Thanks again everyone - I really appreciate the time you've taken to help with answers and reassuring me about some things.

Thanks,

Graham.
Whereabouts are you in Canada?

You're very welcome
Old Jan 14th 2013, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Toronto :-) Or are you being even more specific? Ajax is where we're living to be precise.

How about you?

Graham.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.