SOWP - extending.

Old Oct 4th 2016, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

muners is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SOWP - extending.

Hello all,
My wife has a SOWP and it is due to run out in a few weeks.
Whne she arrived back in Canada from the UK after a vacation she specifically asked about this as I had extended my permit whilst she was away.
The CBSA guys told her there was no need to worry as her permit was linked to mine in the system so there was no need to issue her a new permit.
I questioned this with her but she is adamant that was what was said.

This afternoon we went to service Canada to update our SIN's and she was told she couldn't get hers renewed due to the work permit running out, and what the CBSA told us was wrong, she should have been given a new permit and paid the relevant fees at the time of re-entry.
Is she eligible to apply to extend online or do we have to go down the paper route?
We are waiting to hear re our PR application which has been in over a year now.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated as usual.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SOWP - extending.

You can apply to extend online and use this link for info
Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker

I won't comment on what CBSA said or didn't say. If he had extended his work permit and it had been issued then she could have got a new work permit at the POE based on this. CBSA does NOT EXTEND documents they only issue new ones.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

It was a new permit she asked for, now I'm asking about extending. Spoke to CIC late this afternoon and they said she has implied status due to our PR app on going therefore we do not need to worry about the permit. Only service Canada would want to see an actual permit. So she can stay as she is, would not effect anything, SIN remains active etc so come tax season there would be no issues either. Made me feel better but still wish they'd get the PR sorted so we can relax. Thanks for the reply, always quick on the uptake as usual. Excellent site with no BS answers. Keep up the good work.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful. She only has implied status (which means she can continue to work under the provision of her old work permit once it is past its validity date) as long as she has submitted an application to extend her stay as a worker (see form FL has linked to) BEFORE her current work permit expires. Yes, she is eligible to apply for an extension to her status as a worker, but she doesn't get it without doing anything just because you have a work permit and a PR application in progress.

If her work permit has expired, however, she has to apply to restore status (as long as she is in the restoration period) and she cannot work in the meantime until the application is approved.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 5th 2016 at 1:59 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

I understand what you are saying, maybe things aren't so simple, why would it be right.

It seems that in order to renew health cards we need to provide new permits.
Maybe I actually need to drive the six hours to the border and flagpole them both.
My son will need to get his done too.
Bloody nightmare.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muners
I understand what you are saying, maybe things aren't so simple, why would it be right.

It seems that in order to renew health cards we need to provide new permits.
Maybe I actually need to drive the six hours to the border and flagpole them both.
My son will need to get his done too.
Bloody nightmare.
Your wife and child need valid status in Canada period. Apply one way or the other BEFORE their current status expires.

S
Old Oct 5th 2016, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

yeh, looks like a trip to the border next week it is then.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muners
yeh, looks like a trip to the border next week it is then.
Take a copy of OH's or the original work permit if not going with you. You will request SOWP and pay $155 for the work permit and $100 processing fee for the SOWP.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

I'll be driving down there, getting out at the cbsa building and the wife and son will drive round and flagpole. I'll meet them inside the casa when they come back.
Will have all our documents etc.
Nice weather for a drive down there too 😀
Think I'll hire a car instead of taking my own just in case there is a snow induced incident.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Take a copy of OH's or the original work permit if not going with you. You will request SOWP and pay $155 for the work permit and $100 processing fee for the SOWP.