Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

SORRY, stupid question about BUNAC?

SORRY, stupid question about BUNAC?

Old Sep 22nd 2007, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

paul-niki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SORRY, stupid question about BUNAC?

Hello folks,
I am on dial-up (in the sticks, no broadband, no cable, to many trees for sky, banjo playing sub-par) cannot easily search high-res sites so need basic assistance.

Me & Duchess are planning usual PNP/SW/win lottery routes, but would like info about BUNAC. I completed a HND at UNI and wondered would i be eligible to apply? If so how? Could I OH or will she need a seperate BUNAC application? So sorry to pester you with basics but cannot even read the text on the BUNAC site as connection is so sXXt and the screen on this poxy VAIO (so small & light what a good idea, bunch of bxxxxrds at PC world!) that i cannot get any info. HHEEEEELLLPPPPP
Thanks again, Paul
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

L'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud of
Default Re: SORRY, stupid question about BUNAC?

OK. If you are no longer a student and under 35 then you can apply for the non-student program. Applications are accepted from early december I think. This would get you an open work permit for one year. You would need one each.

The following is copied from the website - but includes their number so it might be worth calling them and see if you put your name down for an application form so that you are not at a disadvantage when they are released on the web:

Application info

* STEP 1
You can request or download an application form from this website, or call (020) 7251 3472. Alternatively the quickest way to apply is online.
* STEP 2
Send or submit your completed Work Canada Application Form to BUNAC with the registration fee of £160 and, if you are not a current member, the £5 BUNAC membership fee. A limited number of visas is available so early application is strongly advised particularly if you are applying as a non-student.
* STEP 3
BUNAC confirms your place on the programme and sends you the Acceptance Pack which includes the Open Work Authorisation Application Form, the Canada Handbook including Job Listings and the Canada Travel Planner detailing BUNAC’s Travel Package and insurance policy.
* STEP 4
Return your completed Open Work Authorisation Application Form to BUNAC as soon as possible, especially if you are planning to fly to Canada in the near future. Please be aware that all participants will be required to submit a 1 page resume/CV to the Canadian High Commission with their Open Work Authorisation Application Form along with a UK Police Background Check. BUNAC then submits your visa application to the Canadian High Commission for processing. The Canadian High Comission reserves the right to ask any applicant to take a medical or obtain extra information, such requests are generally made on a random basis.

If, during the past 5 years you have lived in any country other than the UK for more than six months then you will be required to submit a police background check from that country with your application for a Work Authorisation.

Programme costs

To give you some idea of how much to budget, below is a summary of programme costs for a first-time Work Canada applicant:

* Registration fee* £160
* BUNAC membership £5
* Insurance from £237 for a six month BUNAC policy
* Return flight approx. £500.

*Includes UK presentations, programme administration and literature including the Canada Handbook, BUNAC support services in the UK and Canada and visa administration to secure the Work Authorisation.

Applicants are also required to take a minimum of £500 in support funds with them on entry to Canada.

..and here's their contact details:

BUNAC

BUNAC,
16 Bowling Green Lane,
London,
EC1R 0QH
Telephone: (020) 7251-3472
Fax: (020) 7251-0215
E-Mail: [email protected]

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with...I remember the frustration of dial up!
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by L'il Bear
OK. If you are no longer a student and under 35 then you can apply for the non-student program. Applications are accepted from early december I think. This would get you an open work permit for one year. You would need one each.

The following is copied from the website - but includes their number so it might be worth calling them and see if you put your name down for an application form so that you are not at a disadvantage when they are released on the web:

Application info

* STEP 1
You can request or download an application form from this website, or call (020) 7251 3472. Alternatively the quickest way to apply is online.
* STEP 2
Send or submit your completed Work Canada Application Form to BUNAC with the registration fee of £160 and, if you are not a current member, the £5 BUNAC membership fee. A limited number of visas is available so early application is strongly advised particularly if you are applying as a non-student.
* STEP 3
BUNAC confirms your place on the programme and sends you the Acceptance Pack which includes the Open Work Authorisation Application Form, the Canada Handbook including Job Listings and the Canada Travel Planner detailing BUNAC’s Travel Package and insurance policy.
* STEP 4
Return your completed Open Work Authorisation Application Form to BUNAC as soon as possible, especially if you are planning to fly to Canada in the near future. Please be aware that all participants will be required to submit a 1 page resume/CV to the Canadian High Commission with their Open Work Authorisation Application Form along with a UK Police Background Check. BUNAC then submits your visa application to the Canadian High Commission for processing. The Canadian High Comission reserves the right to ask any applicant to take a medical or obtain extra information, such requests are generally made on a random basis.

If, during the past 5 years you have lived in any country other than the UK for more than six months then you will be required to submit a police background check from that country with your application for a Work Authorisation.

Programme costs

To give you some idea of how much to budget, below is a summary of programme costs for a first-time Work Canada applicant:

* Registration fee* £160
* BUNAC membership £5
* Insurance from £237 for a six month BUNAC policy
* Return flight approx. £500.

*Includes UK presentations, programme administration and literature including the Canada Handbook, BUNAC support services in the UK and Canada and visa administration to secure the Work Authorisation.

Applicants are also required to take a minimum of £500 in support funds with them on entry to Canada.

..and here's their contact details:

BUNAC

BUNAC,
16 Bowling Green Lane,
London,
EC1R 0QH
Telephone: (020) 7251-3472
Fax: (020) 7251-0215
E-Mail: [email protected]

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with...I remember the frustration of dial up!
Hello Oracle,

yes could you please help me with next weeks lottery numbers!
Thankyou so much for such a detailed response. Can I assume you were a BUNAC user yourself?
We were really expecting to either fall lucky through the PNP route (I am a builder/carpenter) or have to face the long haul of a SW application. We would be hopeful of a PNP but the cost of reccies plus trying to get employers to bother going through the process has been dismissed by many on b/e as a thankless task. To be able to get to Canada, earn enough legally to survive and then have the time and chance to "sell" myself to potential employers as a worthy candidate for PNP is the perfect option for us so I will call BUNAC first thing monday and pester them for some info.
Again many thanks,
Paul & Niki (ps - due to dial up by the time you get this reply the USA will have invaded Canada to instigate a regime change as the axis of evil widens, hover cars will be standard and an English team will have actually won something)
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

L'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paul-niki
Hello Oracle,

yes could you please help me with next weeks lottery numbers!
Thankyou so much for such a detailed response. Can I assume you were a BUNAC user yourself?
(ps - due to dial up by the time you get this reply the USA will have invaded Canada to instigate a regime change as the axis of evil widens, hover cars will be standard and an English team will have actually won something)

Yes, I came over on BUNAC in March 2006, for me it was a way to be able to live with my Canadian partner. I have now applied for PR through the family class as she is sponsoring me - so I guess that I am lucky in that respect. I don't know a lot about the PNP route but there are quite a few on here that have done it. Live to Ski may be able to give you more details as they have done BUNAC - PNP.

.....it may work the other way and Canada will seep down, spending their high $....
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Hello folks,
I am on dial-up (in the sticks, no broadband, no cable, to many trees for sky, banjo playing sub-par) cannot easily search high-res sites so need basic assistance.

Me & Duchess are planning usual PNP/SW/win lottery routes, but would like info about BUNAC. I completed a HND at UNI and wondered would i be eligible to apply? If so how? Could I OH or will she need a seperate BUNAC application? So sorry to pester you with basics but cannot even read the text on the BUNAC site as connection is so sXXt and the screen on this poxy VAIO (so small & light what a good idea, bunch of bxxxxrds at PC world!) that i cannot get any info. HHEEEEELLLPPPPP
Thanks again, Paul
Hi, just came across this again and was wondering how you are getting on now that the application forms have been released?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L'il Bear
Hi, just came across this again and was wondering how you are getting on now that the application forms have been released?
Probably still downloading on their dial-up!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by live to ski
Probably still downloading on their dial-up!
Sarcastic git!

Have now upgraded to carrier pidgeon as smoke signals were banned due to global warming issues.

By the way due to the change in BUNAC age bracket (18-30 instead of 18-35) we are now ineligible. Totally racked off and about to thoroughly investigate the PNP possibilities for a dashingly good looking builder and his above average love interest!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:29 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Sarcastic git!

Have now upgraded to carrier pidgeon as smoke signals were banned due to global warming issues.

By the way due to the change in BUNAC age bracket (18-30 instead of 18-35) we are now ineligible. Totally racked off and about to thoroughly investigate the PNP possibilities for a dashingly good looking builder and his above average love interest!
which province are you looking at? lower mainland / greater vancouver area has a high demand in the building industry - if being so good looking doesn't prevent you from getting dusty... hands-on workers seem to have even better chances...
is the duty of the other half to feed the pigeons or does she have a profession too?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lof
which province are you looking at? lower mainland / greater vancouver area has a high demand in the building industry - if being so good looking doesn't prevent you from getting dusty... hands-on workers seem to have even better chances...
is the duty of the other half to feed the pigeons or does she have a profession too?
We have taken a real shine to Nova Scotia and although we have been made aware of the higher employment/earnings potential on the west coast I would like to exhaust this route first.
As for work I am very hands on, not always by choice! Although I would like to see myself as a manager of men I generally end up doing 10 hours a day on the tools.

As for the duchess between feeding the pidgeons and stoking the fires she finds time to be a sales manager and the bain of my life.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:58 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

being in a construction related business at the west coast i'm not much of help then.

good luck to you two and your pigeons (they must be busy these days then...) anyway!