Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sorry Goods to Follow uncertainty...

Sorry Goods to Follow uncertainty...

Old Feb 12th 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

L'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud of
Default Sorry Goods to Follow uncertainty...

Hi guys,

I have read the helpful Wiki and searched the Forum but I still appear to be in a bit of a tis - so please excuse me....maybe the coffee wasn't strong enough this morning or something.

I have now received PPR - went up to Whistler for a week and it was waiting for me when we got back

We are planning on going down to Seattle, getting my passport stamped and landing on the way back.

I came here on a Bunac visa in 2006 and haven't left the country since - I brought with me clothes, my laptop, a digital camera and some hockey skates.
I think that the only thing I have in the UK that I would bring over with me in the future is my Trumpet which originally cost £1000 about 10 or so years ago.

So my question is should I have a Goods to Follow list including these items? Do I have to include the clothes that I brought over with me? Also, I may be in Seattle over night - so should I include whatever I take in my backpack?

Sorry to bombard you it's just that I have been so busy waiting and wishing for PPR that I now feel totally unprepared for the landing bit.

Thanks
Old Feb 12th 2008, 11:33 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry Goods to Follow uncertainty...

I don't know the answer to your questions.

Even without knowing, this is what I would do if I was doing a trip around the flagpole.

I would draw up two lists -- one list of goods accompanying me on my cross-border trip and one list of "goods to follow" (albeit most of the "goods to follow" actually are in Canada already).

I would be sure to itemize the trumpet on the Goods To Follow form.

In the worst case the immigration and customs people at your port of entry won't give a rat's backside about your Goods to Follow form. Then you'll probably feel you've done the work in vain. However, with such a small group of items to list, what's the hardship?

Conversely, if you don't have a list and you find that immigration and customs personnel want one, presumably it'll be more of a waste of time to explain why you don't have one.

Hope that helps.

By the way, I'd be interested to know your experience of crossing the border back into Canada, as it relates to this Goods To Follow business. I think it would be useful for future readers of the Wiki articles.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

L'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud of

Thank you Judy - I will get on it

I'll let you know how things go across the border.

Thanks again

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I don't know the answer to your questions.

Even without knowing, this is what I would do if I was doing a trip around the flagpole.

I would draw up two lists -- one list of goods accompanying me on my cross-border trip and one list of "goods to follow" (albeit most of the "goods to follow" actually are in Canada already).

I would be sure to itemize the trumpet on the Goods To Follow form.

In the worst case the immigration and customs people at your port of entry won't give a rat's backside about your Goods to Follow form. Then you'll probably feel you've done the work in vain. However, with such a small group of items to list, what's the hardship?

Conversely, if you don't have a list and you find that immigration and customs personnel want one, presumably it'll be more of a waste of time to explain why you don't have one.

Hope that helps.

By the way, I'd be interested to know your experience of crossing the border back into Canada, as it relates to this Goods To Follow business. I think it would be useful for future readers of the Wiki articles.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your PPR
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Congrats on your PPR
Thank you I am still having trouble believing it!!! Once I'm down in Seattle and then safely back it'll all be good