Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sorry everyone! Im at step one, advise needed

Sorry everyone! Im at step one, advise needed

Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

gregdedman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sorry everyone! Im at step one, advise needed

Hi everyone,

I came across this site and it appears invaluable for people wanting to get to Canada.
Ive been toying with the idea and the applications for a few years now...but never had an opening to go for it...until now!

I sent my CV out to employers and yesterday had a reply from an emplyer in Vancouver very eager to meet up and have an interview. Its a profession under NOC code 4121 and they have severe staff shortages.

So...please correct/advise me if any of what im saying is incorrect, all the info on getting a visa swamps the brain!
The way i see it i need to get over there for a few weeks, have that interview and all being well they'll offer me a job, then return home.

The job will be as a community and social worker but 'officially' on a casual basis, however i am told by the employer that virtually all their staff start like this and work several different sites before being considered for a permanent position.

So, if and when they offer me a job initially, they need to apply to HRDC for a LMO, is that correct?
Then i wait.
I guess i need to apply for the skilled worker visa, with arranged employment?

When would i need to apply for this? My profession is eligible for processing without waiting for a LMO, so should i get that done and in as soon as possible?

If my 'casual' job doesnt qualify for skilled worker status, is there another way i can enter Canada by applying for a general work visa or temporary resident, and then apply for extensions or permits once im established with the employer?

Last thing, what are the timelines im looking at?
Ive had a wee look for the info, but as ive said, my brain is swamped! lol

Im so sorry all this sounds a little vague, ANY advise would be much appreciated and it may just change my life

Thanks for your time
Kind regards
Acerace
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:17 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sorry everyone! Im at step one, advise needed

Who told you that your (or any) profession is eligible for processing without waiting for a LMO?

You want to work in Canada - you need work permit (with very restricted exemptions).

You want work permit - you need job offer with positive LMO (except small number of jobs under various programs).

Occupation alone doesn't give you any preferences.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Who told you that your (or any) [I]profession is eligible for processing without waiting for a LMO
Well, after looking through the CiC website, i read about concurrent processing.

I quote the website directly;

Concurrent processing:
NOC, levels O, A and B
Certain temporary foreign worker applicants are now eligible for concurrent processing. This means that their work permit applications can start being processed before a Canadian visa office has an approved labour market opinion (LMO). Until August 2006, foreign nationals had to wait until Service Canada approved the LMO before applying for a work permit at a Canadian visa office.

And the direct link;
www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/processing.asp
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:59 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Here is Citizenship and Immigration Canada's web page about Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion.

There also is another special category of people who do not need LMOs, namely, certain information technology workers.

Here is the list of Occupations under Pressure for British Columbia. It includes NOC Code 4212 - Community And Social Service Workers. When an occupation is listed as being "under pressure" in a given region, it means that that region is experiencing a shortage of those kinds of workers. The prospective employer still has to apply for LMO, but there are reduced requirements on the employer to demonstration that he/she/they have advertised for the position across Canada, etc.

There are some BE members who belong to Occupations under Pressure in Alberta and who have applied for work permits this year. From what I've seen, the OUP designation has meant precious little. It still has taken some BE members in excess of 20 weeks to get their LMOs, even when they have belonged to OUPs -- at least in Alberta.

Something that sounds dodgy to me is that the prospective employer would hire you on a casual basis. I suspect that Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) would not issue an LMO under those circumstances. I was under the impression that prospective employers who applied for LMO had to be prepared to offer proper, fulltime jobs.

I don't know who your prospective employer would be. Most government organizations do their level best to hire Canadian citizens (or at least Canadian residents).

Although this situation sounds a bit suspect to me, let's give the prospective employer the benefit of the doubt and let's assume you obtain a temporary work permit and start working in Canada. If your employer wants to hire you permanently once you are in Canada, you can submit an application for permanent residence (PR) in the skilled worker category. Those applications are taking in the range of five years to be processed at the moment. But, if they are backed up by arranged employment, the process is reduced to about a year. To see what you would need to do to get your PR application fast-tracked, see post #2 by Andrew Miller in the thread entitled Going over on a WP but applied for PR a year ago.

I'm not from the UK, and I don't know how much social workers earn there. In my opinion the salaries of social workers in Canada are a disgrace. Yeah, I know I'm the princess who can feel a pea through twenty mattresses (see my contributions to the debates about cost of living in Canada and how much money one needs to live comfortably), but -- my reputation notwithstanding -- you may want to give that some thought.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:27 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gregdedman
Well, after looking through the CiC website, i read about concurrent processing.

I quote the website directly;

Concurrent processing:
NOC, levels O, A and B
Certain temporary foreign worker applicants are now eligible for concurrent processing. This means that their work permit applications can start being processed before a Canadian visa office has an approved labour market opinion (LMO). Until August 2006, foreign nationals had to wait until Service Canada approved the LMO before applying for a work permit at a Canadian visa office.

And the direct link;
www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/processing.asp
This bit is interesting:

Next, you must advise the visa office if Service Canada requires more than a total of 90 days after the work permit application was made to process the LMO, otherwise your work permit could be refused.
As it's currently taking about five months to process LMOs in BC.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 5:12 am
Just Joined

Hi Judy,

Thanks for your advice, I can say that Ive thoroughly researched the community and social service sector in BC, and for the record, pay for the position id be occupying comes to around $19 per hour. That is as a housing support worker in mental health. I do exactly the same job here in the Uk and i earn £10, and at the current exchange rate, its pretty much the same. That wage is good here in the UK, its even better in Canada considering that the cost of living there in Canada is almost half it is here.
Im always stunned at how cheap it is to live and buy goods in Canada compared to the UK...if you think its tough in Canada, try coming here!! Its crazy!!

The organisation offering me an interview are a large charitable organisation based all over the Vancouver area, called Triage.bc, and like here in the UK they require large numbers of 'casual' workers covering neumerous sites, to which Triage have 9. These casual workers can earn as much and even more than regular full timers, ive worked on these lists here in the UK.

Of course, ill visit and check out the set-up and have the interview, then i guess go from there. I doubt any employer is willing to wait 5 years to fill a gap, so maybe my way forward is applying for the Temporary work permit and apply from inside Canada for the Permanant Residence.

Again, thankyou for your advice.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 5:46 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I can say that Ive thoroughly researched the community and social service sector in BC, and for the record, pay for the position id be occupying comes to around $19 per hour. That is as a housing support worker in mental health. I do exactly the same job here in the Uk and i earn £10, and at the current exchange rate, its pretty much the same. That wage is good here in the UK, its even better in Canada considering that the cost of living there in Canada is almost half it is here.
Im always stunned at how cheap it is to live and buy goods in Canada compared to the UK...if you think its tough in Canada, try coming here!! Its crazy!!
At this point, I will pass the baton to someone else. I am officially swearing off income and cost of living discussions.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:21 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi Judy,

Thanks for your advice, I can say that Ive thoroughly researched the community and social service sector in BC, and for the record, pay for the position id be occupying comes to around $19 per hour. That is as a housing support worker in mental health. I do exactly the same job here in the Uk and i earn £10, and at the current exchange rate, its pretty much the same. That wage is good here in the UK, its even better in Canada considering that the cost of living there in Canada is almost half it is here.

The organisation offering me an interview are a large charitable organisation based all over the Vancouver area, called Triage.bc, and like here in the UK they require large numbers of 'casual' workers covering neumerous sites, to which Triage have 9. These casual workers can earn as much and even more than regular full timers, ive worked on these lists here in the UK.

Of course, ill visit and check out the set-up and have the interview, then i guess go from there. I doubt any employer is willing to wait 5 years to fill a gap, so maybe my way forward is applying for the Temporary work permit and apply from inside Canada for the Permanant Residence.

Again, thankyou for your advice.
The chances of getting an LMO approved for a casual position are remote you should know.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for the advice.
I know some of you have stated that this situation sounds a bit suspect, but at the moment, as far as i know, its my only chance to get one foot in the door so to speak.
As it stands, they saw my resume, contacted me and weve discussed briefly the LMO situation. I have an interview in January and from there the wheels can be put in motion. I could apply for a work visa now, without that LMO, however as you guys say, its unlikely theyll issue one for a casual position, so i could end up with nothing but a damaged bank account and no permit.

The employer operates a system that has many casuals on their lists who work at different sites, earning a full time wage, its common in my line of work, and the employer can hire from employees on the list who have shown themselves to be competant.
Its a shame that the LMO would be denied even though Id be covering a huge skills gap.

What would you guys do im my situation?

Its a frustrating cycle to get excited about an opportunity and come up against such red-tape, and return to step one again.