British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Sooo Frustrating and confusing!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/sooo-frustrating-confusing-706498/)

minxylaw9 Feb 22nd 2011 8:19 pm

Sooo Frustrating and confusing!!!

Hi

Firstly I want to say how much I love this forum and it still amazes me that there are still wonderful and kind people out there willing to give their time to helping others, so thank you in advance :thumbup:

My husband has 11 years experience on the railway here in the UK and has managerial/supervisor experience but as this doesnt come under the skilled worker catagory or even the semi skilled, our next plan of action was to try and secure a job offer from one of the biggest railway companies in Canada. So in 2009 my husband arranged a meeting/interview with a manager of a railway company in Canada and he couldn't have been more helpful, he was lovely. He was very impressed with my husbands level of skills and knowledge but would only be able to offer him a job if he was already a resident of Canada. So even though the easiest and fastest way to Canada is to secure a job offer please bear in mind that it doesnt apply for some companies.

So now our aim is to look at a completely different approach....We WILL NOT give up.

My husband is even thinking about training to become a truck driver over in Canada and to get a temporary job for a year or two until we get our PR's. We have three children so we have to consider their future also but I know all this hard work will be worth it in the end but OMG it's bloody hard work and so frustrating. LOL

If any has any information that they would like to share I would appreciate it. Such as ideas on what other areas of employment my hubby could possibly apply for with his current work experience.

Thank you in advance X

AmyDavid Feb 22nd 2011 11:24 pm

Re: Sooo Frustrating and confusing!!!

Originally Posted by minxylaw9 (Post 9194729)
Hi

Firstly I want to say how much I love this forum and it still amazes me that there are still wonderful and kind people out there willing to give their time to helping others, so thank you in advance :thumbup:

My husband has 11 years experience on the railway here in the UK and has managerial/supervisor experience but as this doesnt come under the skilled worker catagory or even the semi skilled, our next plan of action was to try and secure a job offer from one of the biggest railway companies in Canada. So in 2009 my husband arranged a meeting/interview with a manager of a railway company in Canada and he couldn't have been more helpful, he was lovely. He was very impressed with my husbands level of skills and knowledge but would only be able to offer him a job if he was already a resident of Canada. So even though the easiest and fastest way to Canada is to secure a job offer please bear in mind that it doesnt apply for some companies.

So now our aim is to look at a completely different approach....We WILL NOT give up.

My husband is even thinking about training to become a truck driver over in Canada and to get a temporary job for a year or two until we get our PR's. We have three children so we have to consider their future also but I know all this hard work will be worth it in the end but OMG it's bloody hard work and so frustrating. LOL

If any has any information that they would like to share I would appreciate it. Such as ideas on what other areas of employment my hubby could possibly apply for with his current work experience.

Thank you in advance X

What do you do and where in Canada do you want to move to?

mandymoochops Feb 22nd 2011 11:57 pm

Theres a truck driving part of this forum (look on the home forum page under "working abroad by profession". I'd seriously suggest a read of some of those threads :eek:

minxylaw9 Feb 23rd 2011 7:39 am

Thank you Mandymoochops, I've already been through the trucking threads, very helpful and informative. We have a contact that we met in Canada that trains truck drivers in Alberta and he said he could get my hubby a job after the training, but it would involve a six month temporary work permit before we could apply for a PNP and my hubby is extremely worried about giving up his job here to work in Canada without a guarantee that we would get PR after the six months. But this is the last resort as I don't fancy him being away for weeks at a time and also worried about the earnings as there is a lot of negative feedback about the money that trucking companies pay, but my hubby says he will do what ever it takes to get us over there because once we get our PR he will be able to apply for a job within the railway industry in Canada.

Amydavid - I am self-employed but its only a part-time business. I have a contact from New Brunswick that says it will be enough to get us over there and only asks for a small investment which will be our entire savings but I'm just working out all our options first and the railway jobs seem to be more towards the west side but the self-employed stream in the west asks for a larger investment which we do not have.

Thank you for your replies :thumbsup:

AmyDavid Feb 23rd 2011 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by minxylaw9 (Post 9195724)
Thank you Mandymoochops, I've already been through the trucking threads, very helpful and informative. We have a contact that we met in Canada that trains truck drivers in Alberta and he said he could get my hubby a job after the training, but it would involve a six month temporary work permit before we could apply for a PNP and my hubby is extremely worried about giving up his job here to work in Canada without a guarantee that we would get PR after the six months. But this is the last resort as I don't fancy him being away for weeks at a time and also worried about the earnings as there is a lot of negative feedback about the money that trucking companies pay, but my hubby says he will do what ever it takes to get us over there because once we get our PR he will be able to apply for a job within the railway industry in Canada.

Amydavid - I am self-employed but its only a part-time business. I have a contact from New Brunswick that says it will be enough to get us over there and only asks for a small investment which will be our entire savings but I'm just working out all our options first and the railway jobs seem to be more towards the west side but the self-employed stream in the west asks for a larger investment which we do not have.

Thank you for your replies :thumbsup:

But what is your actual occupation and previous ones over the past 10 years? I assumed you have looked back to make sure you do not qualify under the FSW route?

christmasoompa Feb 23rd 2011 2:55 pm

So even though the easiest and fastest way to Canada is to secure a job offer please bear in mind that it doesnt apply for some companies.

Got to say, I think the job offer route is the hardest and longest route to a visa normally - very few people can get a job offer/LMO in the current economic climate, there are many easier ways to get to Canada!

Good for you! Over 50 routes to a visa, I'm sure one will suit you. How about considering NS or MB that have more open PNP's where you can get PR without a job offer, or maybe a study permit for one of you (so the other can get the open work permit)?

My husband is even thinking about training to become a truck driver over in Canada and to get a temporary job for a year or two until we get our PR's.

How will he train to become a truck driver in Canada? Not sure there's a visa for that! He couldn't get a TWP for a training position, and it wouldn't come under a study permit either, so can't see how he'd be able to do it in Canada I'm afraid.

Good luck. :)

Steve&Tanya Feb 23rd 2011 5:01 pm

Hi

Thank you in advance X

Hello and welcome to the forum!

My hubby was a signal maintainer in the UK for 14 years before we moved here. What exactly does your hubby do?

Currently my hubby is contracting for GE up in Edmonton helping with the signal upgrades (I think!) Apparently there is a shortage of maintainers in North America so I don't know if that means it may be possible to get a positive LMO from the right company or not. He still has contacts at CP (where he worked when we first moved) so if you want to send me a PM with details of your hubby's work experience I could get him to have a chat with his contacts here and see what they think.

minxylaw9 Mar 10th 2011 2:18 pm

Thank you everyone for your reponses and advice. We are currently looking at New Brunswick as they seem to have a very good pnp. We are visiting NB in April, next month wahooo, and have set up a couple of meetings with some companies that hopefully my hubbys skills and experience will be tranferrable to an alternative industry to the railway, so I will keep you posted.

We had a meeting with Brazolot Immigration Consultants the other day, first he kept us waiting for 20 mins, then we were promised an hour and half and got 40mins and the overall fees to get us a student visa, for me to do a business diploma, which would give my hubby an open work permit and our three children would be able to go to school, was just over £7000, now is it me or is that a lot of money to be asking for just to fill in some forms? He didnt sell us his services at all. I have read a lot of bad feedback about them on here but I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but now I agree with the feedback....lesson learnt...LISTEN TO EXPATS ADVICE!!! lol

It would require us to live, work and study in Canada for two years before we could apply for PR...and you must have £21,000 in your bank to cover living expenses, study fees etc. Not sure if it the right route for us but it may be for someone else. It just shows that there are ways of getting into Canada but you have to do a lot of research first.

I'm still determined !!!

minxylaw9 Mar 10th 2011 4:29 pm

Steve&Tanya i've PM you...thank you x

stephen19733 Mar 11th 2011 7:49 am

We are having exactly the same problems as you! Its very frustrating as you say.... We thought about the Quebec route in but the French is too much of a barrier for us, student way in which is very expensive, job offer way in which seems impossible and now I am looking at MB. They have the strategic Initiative stream HOWEVER i emailed them for some information and got this reply:

"The Strategic Recruitment Initiative is not a self-selected stream.
Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program will undertake Strategic Recruitment Initiatives and/or consider applications from qualified applicants which enable the Province of Manitoba to meet the objectives of the Canada Manitoba Immigration Agreement (CMIA). Letters of invitation are given to those the program officers have met personally in Immigration Fairs or Overseas Recruitment Events. Currently, there are no promotional initiatives in progress. If you want to apply for the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program, you need to be eligible to apply under one of our other streams"

So back to square one!!

Problem with us is that we will not be able to fly out until at least the end of the year if not next year!!! as we have a baby...

I had the " I am not going to give up" attitude but I seem to be hitting so many brick walls and it becomes very very disheartening....This has been a lifelong ambition and I am a well educated, English speaking 37 year old who has had a career in UK Government for 13 years....

I am just not "on the list"!!!!

Sorry to have wittered but I know how you feel!!! Keep up the good work ...:fingerscrossed:

minxylaw9 Mar 11th 2011 9:43 am

Thank you Stephen19733, your right it is very disheartening but don't give up just yet. After nearly three years of research and speaking to a vast amount of people about what would be the easiest way to get to Canada, the most successful it seems, is to get a job offer with a company that will be prepared to apply for an LMO on your behalf. Once you get your LMO then you can apply under the PNP. Obviously your job has to be on the noc list but if you look at the occupation list in more detail, when you read the job duties section it states "in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties". This means that when you find your occupation or something close to your occupation as long as your duties meet some of the criteria stated, I believe you are then classed as a skilled worker. This is what I am currently working on and I will confirm this when I go to Canada in April. I am currently contacted different industries in Canada and aksing to meet with their HR departments, whilst we are there to discuss possible employment opportunites. Most companies seem happy enough to meet with you and that is half the battle because I have noticed that Canadians prefer to meet face to face rather than just looking at a resume/cv. "It's not what you know, its who you know" ;)
As you said having a baby would make it difficult to travel but have you considered going over there for a couple of days by yourself and set up some meetings? I got cheap flights through canadian affair for £320 return.
I hope this has helped in some way.
Take care and please feel free to keep in touch.

chanceUK Mar 11th 2011 9:44 am

Originally Posted by minxylaw9 (Post 9230695)
Thank you everyone for your reponses and advice. We are currently looking at New Brunswick as they seem to have a very good pnp. We are visiting NB in April, next month wahooo, and have set up a couple of meetings with some companies that hopefully my hubbys skills and experience will be tranferrable to an alternative industry to the railway, so I will keep you posted.

We had a meeting with Brazolot Immigration Consultants the other day, first he kept us waiting for 20 mins, then we were promised an hour and half and got 40mins and the overall fees to get us a student visa, for me to do a business diploma, which would give my hubby an open work permit and our three children would be able to go to school, was just over £7000, now is it me or is that a lot of money to be asking for just to fill in some forms? He didnt sell us his services at all. I have read a lot of bad feedback about them on here but I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but now I agree with the feedback....lesson learnt...LISTEN TO EXPATS ADVICE!!! lol

It would require us to live, work and study in Canada for two years before we could apply for PR...and you must have £21,000 in your bank to cover living expenses, study fees etc. Not sure if it the right route for us but it may be for someone else. It just shows that there are ways of getting into Canada but you have to do a lot of research first.

I'm still determined !!!

Brazolot Immigration Consultants - this firm has an extremely bad reputation - do not use them

http://www.westislandgazette.com/news/13523

plenty of more reputable consultants around but they are really not needed for straight forward applications

AmyDavid Mar 11th 2011 9:49 am

Originally Posted by stephen19733 (Post 9232287)
We are having exactly the same problems as you! Its very frustrating as you say.... We thought about the Quebec route in but the French is too much of a barrier for us, student way in which is very expensive, job offer way in which seems impossible and now I am looking at MB. They have the strategic Initiative stream HOWEVER i emailed them for some information and got this reply:

"The Strategic Recruitment Initiative is not a self-selected stream.
Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program will undertake Strategic Recruitment Initiatives and/or consider applications from qualified applicants which enable the Province of Manitoba to meet the objectives of the Canada Manitoba Immigration Agreement (CMIA). Letters of invitation are given to those the program officers have met personally in Immigration Fairs or Overseas Recruitment Events. Currently, there are no promotional initiatives in progress. If you want to apply for the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program, you need to be eligible to apply under one of our other streams"

So back to square one!!

Problem with us is that we will not be able to fly out until at least the end of the year if not next year!!! as we have a baby...

I had the " I am not going to give up" attitude but I seem to be hitting so many brick walls and it becomes very very disheartening....This has been a lifelong ambition and I am a well educated, English speaking 37 year old who has had a career in UK Government for 13 years....

I am just not "on the list"!!!!

Sorry to have wittered but I know how you feel!!! Keep up the good work ...:fingerscrossed:

Have a look at the Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream - that would probably be a really good option for you.

minxylaw9 Mar 11th 2011 9:53 am

Originally Posted by chanceUK (Post 9232446)
Brazolot Immigration Consultants - this firm has an extremely bad reputation - do not use them

a quick search on this forum (or google) will tell you a lot

Thank you :thumbup:

minxylaw9 Mar 11th 2011 9:55 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 9232457)
Have a look at the Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream - that would probably be a really good option for you.

Thank you I'll have a look. I will be landing in Halifax and driving through to NB so I'll get a chance to see what NS is like. :D

Thank you :thumbup: