Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Something to pick your brains about

Wikiposts

Something to pick your brains about

Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Wolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud of
Default Something to pick your brains about

Hey everyone,
Its been a little while since we have been on here, 5 months and counting since our documents went in and still waiting for the med request. I have a little but of a dilemma I need some advice on. When we applied for our self-employment visa, the AOR came back with a predicted processing of 12-18 months. We are now 17 months in and so thats looking rather unrealistic. Also, on the CIC website, the predicted processing time on our Visa is now 42 months (arrrrgh!). We are rather hoping it will not take this long, due to our good prediction on the AOR but realise we are in for a bit of a wait.

So here is the dilemma. We get married in Sept and I leave my job in July (not by choice- contract is ending). Our contacts are building up nicely in Toronto and we are eligible for BUNAC (at the moment at least). I was wondering whether it is sensible for us to apply for a BUNAC so that we might be able to spend a year in Canada whilst we wait? Can you do that whilst you have another VISA in process? Also, does anyone know whether is you get a 2011 Bunac, whether you can take it up in Sept and start your year from then?

Its not something we at all considered doing but since we are in for a wait, will be just married, jobless and probably homeless, its just something to ponder on I guess! Anyone had any experience of this kind of thing?

Thanks and happy new year! And happy waiting times to you all!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something to pick your brains about

Are you aware that you can now have two Bunac visas in a row? CIC are processing them themselves for the first time, and announced recent changes including that. Have a search on the forum for more info on the changes as I'm not that familiar with them.

If you apply when the program opens (don't delay, there is a limit and there are no longer student and non-student visas, just one category, so it's predicated they will go incredibly quickly this year) then you can enter Canada anytime up to Feb 2012 I believe.

So you could go for two years.......guess that might make the decision a bit easier?!?

Good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Wolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud of

Oh I did not know the CIC were taking it over! That is something to think about, definitely, as long as we can have PR in process at the same time. Thanks, I've had a quick look on the CIC website and can't find anything but I'll have a better delve into it.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

just read through all the info and it looks like a good programme and that we are eligible. It says that its not designed for people waiting for PR but you can apply. So some express police checks, a call to Fedex and some crossed fingers may be a distinct possibility!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wolfie and Will
just read through all the info and it looks like a good programme and that we are eligible. It says that its not designed for people waiting for PR but you can apply. So some express police checks, a call to Fedex and some crossed fingers may be a distinct possibility!
Fab, good luck!