Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Some really Quick Questions (Hopefully)

Some really Quick Questions (Hopefully)

Old Aug 22nd 2016, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about
Default Some really Quick Questions (Hopefully)

I'm currently working in the US and although my current employer will be laying me off (No Green Card) I'm working on remaining with another employer. The whole drama can be read on the US forums if you're interested.

Should that not happen, then back to the UK we go and work on Plan B. My wife has a Bachelor's and I have the work skills which are in demand, so between us (at the moment) we scrape a 400 for EE, however I am going to complete some study to hopefully bump that score up a little. So thinking ahead -

1. Education - My secondary (high school) exam results were given to me on a piece of paper. I've done a little digging and the exam boards no longer even exist. Assuming that I complete some courses and it equates to a Foundation Degree I only need to provide this certificate (and any others I may do) for WES (whatever the result it has to be higher than my current score..). High School grades become irrelevant at this point?

2. Police Certs - All clean in all of the countries I've worked, however the US requires a copy of our finger prints before releasing the results. Do I just walk into my local station to get these or is there a specific request that needs to be made? Anyone have any idea? All the the guides I've found state "provide a copy of your finger prints" not where to get them from.

Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 8:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some really Quick Questions (Hopefully)

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud
.... All the the guides I've found state "provide a copy of your finger prints" not where to get them from. ....
Your local police or sheriff's office (in the US) will make copies of your fingerprints.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Pulaski, we'll need to keep this in mind if we do end up leaving. Any idea how this would work if we are back in the UK?

Ah, another question

3. Work History - Current employer is no problem, even if I have left by the time we apply. However the previous 15 years were all in Law Enforcement in the UK. All I will be able to get from them is a start date and a leaving date. Will this suffice? I could probably get things verified by ex colleagues who have also left.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

1. Education - My secondary (high school) exam results were given to me on a piece of paper. I've done a little digging and the exam boards no longer even exist. Assuming that I complete some courses and it equates to a Foundation Degree I only need to provide this certificate (and any others I may do) for WES (whatever the result it has to be higher than my current score..). High School grades become irrelevant at this point?
You only need to provide your highest level of education, not a complete history

2. Police Certs - All clean in all of the countries I've worked, however the US requires a copy of our finger prints before releasing the results. Do I just walk into my local station to get these or is there a specific request that needs to be made? Anyone have any idea? All the the guides I've found state "provide a copy of your finger prints" not where to get them from.
You get your certificate from the FBI using the forms located here How to Get a Police Certificate – United States I believe you can even do your own fingerprints, provided they can be read.

3. Work History - Current employer is no problem, even if I have left by the time we apply. However the previous 15 years were all in Law Enforcement in the UK. All I will be able to get from them is a start date and a leaving date. Will this suffice? I could probably get things verified by ex colleagues who have also left.
I believe you also need to show job titles as well as a list of duties/responsibilities. Do you have old employment contracts etc. which show these? Worse case you could ask a former supervisor to write a letter on your behalf, but this would not be ideal.

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Aug 22nd 2016 at 11:44 pm. Reason: missed a question
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
I believe you also need to show job titles as well as a list of duties/responsibilities. Do you have old employment contracts etc. which show these? Worse case you could ask a former supervisor to write a letter on your behalf, but this would not be ideal.
And here lies the problem. You join Law Enforcement, you do lots of things in different places and then you leave. Unless you are still employed the only reference you will ever get is the start date and the leave date, half the time your personal records aren't up to date anyway, so central HR can't help.

This must have come up before? They are not my last employer, for who I held a management role in the specific category I would be looking at, so how high on the importance level would it be?
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

And here lies the problem. You join Law Enforcement, you do lots of things in different places and then you leave. Unless you are still employed the only reference you will ever get is the start date and the leave date, ....
In my experience, both as employee and hiring manager, and though experience of friends and colleagues, all you will get from the vast majority of employers is the start and end date of employment. I don't think I have ever seen an employer reference that gives anything more than start and end date.

Occasionally a manager might give a personal reference, and I have on occasion done so myself, but not on company letterhead paper.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 23rd 2016 at 3:47 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In my experience, both as employee and hiring manager, and though experience of friends and colleagues, all you will get from the vast majority of employers is the start and end date of employment. I don't think I have ever seen an employer reference that gives anything more than start and end date.

Occasionally a manager might give a personal reference, and I have on occasion done so myself, but not on company letterhead paper.
Maybe reference was the wrong phrase to use, but thanks for confirming what was going through my mind.

So I can confirm when I started and left and I can write down my roles and responsibilities, which is only 3 different roles, but I don't want to get rejected on the basis I have nothing to back this up (I accept that are a number of reasons why I could be rejected). Would awards, commendations, letters of thanks apply here?
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:15 pm

Maybe reference was the wrong phrase to use, but thanks for confirming what was going through my mind.

So I can confirm when I started and left and I can write down my roles and responsibilities, which is only 3 different roles, but I don't want to get rejected on the basis I have nothing to back this up (I accept that are a number of reasons why I could be rejected). Would awards, commendations, letters of thanks apply here?
I don't have anything to back up the "experience" content in my CV, other than a collection of war stories that I can recount. A few of those stories can be tied to news reports, but none of the reports document my personal involvement. If you have "awards, commendations, letters of thanks" that's more than I have.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

War Stories are probably of more interest

Hopefully it shouldn't be an issue, but if it is, I will let everyone know (assuming I get that far of course)