Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Some quick and accrate advice re Landing - panic stations

Some quick and accrate advice re Landing - panic stations

Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice
Unhappy Some quick and accrate advice re Landing - panic stations

Dear all,

I am faced with a real dilemma. I need to active my visa by 30 March this year, but was told yesterday that my mother has 'months to live' following a long battle with ovarian cancer. Obvously i am devastated at the prospect of losing my mother imminently but am also conscious that i only have a 'couple of months' to keep my PR after waiting 4 years.

Part of me feels i shouldnt go, but my mother is adamant that life goes on and that i should If i go obvioulsy it has to be sooner rather than later.

I am only intending to activate and head home so i was wondering if people could tell me the bare minimum i need to provide on landing such as:

- how do you prove your funds - do i have to take cash, trvellers cheques etc
- is the money offset against any current overdraft i have? If not can i include the funds in that facility?
- The only address i'll be able to provide is the hotel but i do have a friend living in Van. Can i ask for PR card to be sent there (likely that ill land in Tronno due to the winter olympics)
- I have no goods to follow as yet , so do i provide a list anyway?

Sorry for rambling but i just need some quick and accurate advice and my head is not in a fit state at the moment, so if somebody could just tell me i would be eternally greateful.

If any jobsworth directs me to the Wiki then im likely to blow a fuse!!

Thanks in advance, Stuart
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:04 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some quick and accrate advice re Landing - panic stations

Originally Posted by stuartm
Dear all,

I am faced with a real dilemma. I need to active my visa by 30 March this year, but was told yesterday that my mother has 'months to live' following a long battle with ovarian cancer. Obvously i am devastated at the prospect of losing my mother imminently but am also conscious that i only have a 'couple of months' to keep my PR after waiting 4 years.

Part of me feels i shouldnt go, but my mother is adamant that life goes on and that i should If i go obvioulsy it has to be sooner rather than later.

I am only intending to activate and head home so i was wondering if people could tell me the bare minimum i need to provide on landing such as:

- is the money offset against any current overdraft i have? If not can i include the funds in that facility?
- The only address i'll be able to provide is the hotel but i do have a friend living in Van. Can i ask for PR card to be sent there (likely that ill land in Tronno due to the winter olympics)

Sorry for rambling but i just need some quick and accurate advice and my head is not in a fit state at the moment, so if somebody could just tell me i would be eternally greateful.

For proof of funds a savings account statement or similar would be fine. You only have to prove you have the required funds, you dont have to prove your Net Worth (which would be all your assets less all loans/overdrafts/liabilities) so your overdraft isnt relevent. As long as you have acess to funds in liquid form thats fine.

You dont have to provide an address to have your PR card sent to yet - you can supply that up to 180 days later (and even if you miss that deadline you can still get your PR card by filing a fairly simple application for a PR card - you dont lose your PR status because of it)
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:07 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear that stuart.

Proof of funds...that way would work for sure, or else proof of funds sitting in a canadian bank account would work too.

Its supposed to be "unencumbered", but its unlikely they would know of the overdraft.

You can have the card sent to any non PO box address in Canada, or else just leave it blank. You then have 6 months to provide an address, and if you dont give them an updated address within 6 months you will have to pay to apply for the PR card again though ($150?).

Yes, you have to provide the GTF list when you land AFAIK.

Good luck...cherish the time you have left.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Stuart...Sorry to hear that you are going to lose your mum but at least you are fortunate enough to be able to plan for her passing......(Pollyanna approach).

She is right though...you do need to plan for YOUR future.....but also to enjoy the time you have left with her. I'd get over and land asap and get back before her health deteriorates at a faster rate.

Let her go knowing that you are going be okay and are going to get on and live your dream and not let grief get in the way of following that path.

That's what she'd want isn't it? At least you can go without leaving your mother behind in failing health!

Best wishes Stuart
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Dear all,

This must be such a difficult time for you, its stressful enough without all the extra feelings you must have with your mum,

Like the others have said get over get landed then get back, your mum will enjoy the time she has with you even more knowing you are going to do something you have been dreaming about,

wish you all the best with everything, hope the landing goes smoothly,
Remember if you need a shoulder there are lots of people on here ( some have been through sim or the same ) to support you through what will be a very tough time,
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

Re. the goods to follow. Yes, you have to have it, BUT you can 'err on the side of excess'. For example, when I asked the woman and Border Services when we were trying to figure this out, she said list EVERYTHING you might, maybe, even remotely possibly ever want to bring over (that you own). While you can't bring it (duty free) if you don't list it, you also don't have to bring everything you list. She also said the form only needs to be of the format:

x boxes of abc $???

Where x is the number of boxes and ??? is the GARAGE SALE value of the items (not new). So we did, for example, 10 boxes of DVDs $200. (yes, he really does own a lot of movies *sigh* ). We estimated high on everything because none of it is actually packed yet. So if we figured there were 5 boxes of books we listed 8 or 10. Funny how it always seems to take more than you thought when you actually pack it up. It is all still at his parents place so it can be moved over in years to come should he need/want it. Anything with a serial number (electronics etc) needs to be listed individually. I didn't ask about things like expensive jewellery because it wasn't an issue, so I don't know re. that.

My point is, go through your belongings, write EVERYTHING down, estimate the price and type or write it up in a list. Come over, land, go back and be with your mum and worry about what off the list you actually want to bring at a later date once you are coming to stay. You'll have met your requirements for landing and (mostly) covered yourself to ensure you can bring what you want when you come.

Good luck getting everything sorted and landing.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice

Thanks for the quick an dthorough responses - you guys are awesome

Its so difficult as she is really ill at the moment - thats means she could pass away in days or weeks rather than months, and whil eive got her supporting me to land, if she died while i was away, im not sure id forgive myself.

A last quick question, will a printed online banking statement from a day or two before my landing date be sufficient as proof?

Regards, Stuart
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry guys - the other question i had was how do i go about activating my pr at a visa office in Vancouver as i may travel up from Seattle for a day.

Hopefully thats all

Stu
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:35 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Sorry guys - the other question i had was how do i go about activating my pr at a visa office in Vancouver as i may travel up from Seattle for a day.

Hopefully thats all

Stu
At Either Douglas or Pacific Hwy Border Crossing.

PMM
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:51 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

A last quick question, will a printed online banking statement from a day or two before my landing date be sufficient as proof?

Regards, Stuart
Yup, that should be fine.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:39 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Its so difficult as she is really ill at the moment - thats means she could pass away in days or weeks rather than months, and whil eive got her supporting me to land, if she died while i was away, im not sure id forgive myself.

Regards, Stuart
Reading back over my original reply and everyone else's above I just realised that I completely glossed-over the news about your mother and went straight to providing technical answers to your questions. How completely insensitive of me - Sorry Stuart. I'm sorry to hear your news.

BTW the online banking statement should be acceptable.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi all, thanks for the help. A last, probably stupid question, but when I land presumably I just go through immigration as normal?

Thank you for all your kind thoughts on my mother. She's an amazing person and simply does not deserve this end. If your a female in your late 40s or 50s and you're told you have IBS, indigestion etc, DEMAND a scan and accept nothing else. Ovarian cancer is a horrendous disease and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. :0(

Stuart
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Regards, Stuart
On the other hand what if you get over and land as soon as possible and get back quickly to tell her the news of your landing...Wouldn't she be chuffed and reassured that she knew that you had activated your visa before she died? Won't it then relieve her of the burden of feeling responsible for you hanging around waiting for her to die?

Can you get a ticket for just a few days? You can be in constant contact and be back within hours on compassionate grounds with some airlines.

My very close friend died of cancer recently, not a mum I know, but I know what it is like to see someone I loved go downhill and then not be here anymore. It hurts, but life goes on for me as it will for you.

I lost my dad 3 yrs ago too and in the time prior to his death was able to tell him all the things I wanted to tell him before he died.......Then blow me......he continued to live for a further 2 years!

You'll do what you feel is right for you, despite what anyone says on here.....I sincerely wish you lots of laughs and happy moments during the time you have left with your mum....come and tell us how you have got on.

Sending a big <<<<<<<cyber hug>>>>>>
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi guys,

Again thanks for all your quick replies but a jsut a few silly outstanding queries:

1. Presumably i just go through the normal arrival process at immigration and present my papers.
2. My application said Vancouver but ill land in Toronto probably - this OK?
3. I dont intend to actually move to Canada for another 2 years. Do i still need to provide a goods to follow list?

Promise i wont nag after this post !!!!

Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi guys,

Again thanks for all your quick replies but a jsut a few silly outstanding queries:

1. Presumably i just go through the normal arrival process at immigration and present my papers.
2. My application said Vancouver but ill land in Toronto probably - this OK?
3. I dont intend to actually move to Canada for another 2 years. Do i still need to provide a goods to follow list?

Promise i wont nag after this post !!!!

Well you won't be landing as a visitor so you'll need to go through a different channel. Just like when you're on the plane and they give you a form to fill in....it won't be as a visitor now will it?

You can land wherever you need to in Canada...apart from Quebec where they have a different immigration process anyway.

You will still need to hand over a goods to follow list whether you plan on staying when landing or not....just guestimate to the best of your ability. If you don't then you could be assessed for duty/tax purposes when you do enter to take up residency.

Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.