Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Some opinions on possibly working/moving to Canada

Some opinions on possibly working/moving to Canada

Old May 12th 2012, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

JoeJK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some opinions on possibly working/moving to Canada

Hey all, first post here so I apologise in advance if I break etiquette

I'm just after a bit of advice/opinions on my situation and thoughts of my future.

I'm 26 now, and basically, I've been in a bottom level clerical job for a bank for the past 5, nearly 6 years, stuck at the bottom because of a freeze on promotions etc. and have recently found out I'm (along with a lot of others) going to be made redundant sometime next year. It is, however, a good thing for me, as I've been DYING to get out and do something totally different. I really want to go and work/live in another country for a while if I can and Canada is one of the ones I am considering.

I really wanted to live in the US for a bit, but after some research, it seems like that's not possible, so I've decided to just take a long holiday there instead, and start looking into working in Canada. So my questions are - how hard is it to really get a work VISA for Canada? Is it as tough as the US? I don't have a degree, but I'm thinking of that as a possible route as well, so what is the situation with regards to studying over there like? Is it extremely expensive? And if studying turns out to be too pricey for me, is it very possible to get over there and get a VISA to just work in some other job? (I don't really have much preference of the type of job, as long as it's not too unsavoury!) Or is it possible to get onto some kind of program like an apprenticeship?
Old May 12th 2012, 2:53 pm
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Some opinions on possibly working/moving to Canada

Hey...

If I was you I would apply for a working holiday Visa, which gives you 12 months in canada with the Option to extend it for another year.

They only grant a certain number of visas, and I would say that this year would be full but around Jan next year the window opens so you can apply for the visa.

with regards to studying, It would cost a lot more than in the UK.
Old May 12th 2012, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers. So does that one enable you to go over there then try to find a job while you're there, or do you need the job first?

And what's the cost of living like there? For example, let's say I saved £10k before I went - any idea how long that might last, living a modest lifestyle, while searching for work? And does this differ a lot depending on which part you're in? (I'm assuming it does)
Old May 12th 2012, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Hi Joe, welcome to the site.

I was in the exact same position as you six years ago. I was in a dead end civil service job too. Im in the final process of having my immigration application processed. I worked in Calgary for three years on a work visa at a hotel. But they found me over qualified and had me in management.

I made a lot of mistakes and got some really bad advice. If I had to go back and give myself advice I'd say check out some of the provincial immigration programs like this : http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...migrating.aspx

I know your just looking for a work visa, Im just telling you what I had wished someone had told me.
It is possible to go over and get a work visa. I did it but had to jump quite a few loopholes. I was lucky as I had family there. My employer had to get a LMO (Labour market opinion). It basically getting an approval if the employer can hire a foreign worker. Then you can then apply for the work permit and show your credentials and experience for the job applied for. You can't actually be issued with a work permit in Canada. You have to leave and re-enter, but you can do that with a trip to the USA/Canada border.

Studying is a lot more expensive, but can pay off depending what you do. I met a lot of people that did engineering degrees and have very successful jobs.
Old May 12th 2012, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice

Just doing a little research on Alberta now, it looks pretty awesome! I'm gonna have to visit a few places I think and see what they're like. I've always been a bit fascinated with Quebec as well, in particular, Montreal, how there's this pocket of French speaking folk on the other side of the world from France. Any experience with that part of Canada?

Last edited by JoeJK; May 12th 2012 at 4:38 pm.
Old May 12th 2012, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

speaking completely personally, Montreal is the only bit of Canada I've visited that I didn't like. I've been to Vancouver, Jasper (briefly!), Edmonton (also briefly), Montreal, Toronto, and quite a bit of Nova Scotia. Montreal felt different from everywhere else.. I found it quite aloof, a bit arrogant. But like I said, that's just my opinion! I'm sure others on here will be along with a more positive view
Old May 13th 2012, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the input. So I'm thinking the best way would be to try and get over to work for a year or two if I can, then if I decided I wanted to stay, to then use that experience to try and go for one of those provincial sponsorships or something?
Old May 13th 2012, 6:26 pm
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future

I would try the 12 month visa next year, and it allows you to find a job during the time your in canada.

I was in the same situation as you, and i got a working holiday visa for Australia last year. I met a girl there and she was from London, Ontario.
I ended up leaving Australia to be with her, as she had to come home to continue her studies and Ive been living all of the year.

Canada is an awesome place, I sadly have to return to the UK as my vistor's visa is coming to an end but I am going to apply for a visa to return out here.
Old May 13th 2012, 6:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for the Working Holiday Visa - definitely your best and easiest option if you just want to go for a year or two. It's an open work permit, so you wouldn't be tied to your employer like on a normal Temp Work Permit, and unlike a TWP you don't need a job offer and LMO, so you'll be much more employable as you are work authorised and can start immediately.

Re: cost of living, it's about the same as in the UK as a rough guide (some things cheaper, others more expensive, so it tends to even out), so your £10k would probably last a while.

Good luck.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

beccyd has a spectacular aura aboutbeccyd has a spectacular aura aboutbeccyd has a spectacular aura about

I'd go with the working visa, or as mentioned before, and LMO. I have been extremely lucky and my LMO has just been finalised and I move out next month to Edmonton, AB. It only took a few months and I honestly can't believe my luck. Hope it all works out for you!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

On another note if you want to work in the US for a bit you could always consider working at a US summer camp. The visa is pretty straight forward and you can travel the USA for 30 days before your visa/work start date and for 30 days after in addition to the the 3 or so months at camp.
You could then travel up to Canada after the usa on a working holiday. Just an idea
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beccyd
I'd go with the working visa, or as mentioned before, and LMO. I have been extremely lucky and my LMO has just been finalised and I move out next month to Edmonton, AB. It only took a few months and I honestly can't believe my luck. Hope it all works out for you!
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

This thread is approx 6 weeks old, for future ref the date is on the top left of it. If you could take the time to read the Newcomers to the Forum sticky thread (link in my signature) it would be appreciated, thx.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 3rd 2012 at 3:09 pm.