Some beginners advice needed

Old May 27th 2010, 11:08 am
Just Joined

d_hero is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some beginners advice needed

Hi everyone

I am new here, I want to get the ball rolling on an application for moving to Toronto.

I live in the UK, 25 years old. I believe I need to apply under the Skilled Workers category, my profession is Technical/IT Consultant, and I have worked in the IT/Computing industry for 7 years.

I have completed 13 years of study up to completing A-Levels. I didn't go to Uni, instead using the time and money to study IT related qualifications, such as MCPs and CompTIA qualifications. My first question is, do these professional qualifications count as 'Trade Certificates' where the assessment test asks for level of study completed? So do I just have to put 'Obtained a secondary school credential' or can i use the next one down which is 'Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies'?

Next up, pretty much all of my Dad's family live in or around Toronto, thats Aunts, Uncles, Cousins etc. I guess that helps?

When taking the assessment test, I get 67 on the dot if I use the 'Trade Certificate' option, otherwise its 57 with the High School option.

None of this includes any arranged employment, this is all in early stages but if I go ahead then I will be arranging employment beforehand, therefore I assume this will help the points situation?

I guess i am just a little overwhelmed with all the information and what is correct for me and what is not. If someone could give me some advice, that would be great.
Thanks a lot
Old May 27th 2010, 12:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some beginners advice needed

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by d_hero
I live in the UK, 25 years old. I believe I need to apply under the Skilled Workers category, my profession is Technical/IT Consultant, and I have worked in the IT/Computing industry for 7 years.
If you qualify as an 'IT Manager' (which is the only IT related occupation on the list of Skilled Worker occupations), score 67 points or more, have proof of funds, etc, then yes you can apply as a Skilled Worker. Just don't delay as in case you aren't aware the list of eligible occupations for Skilled Worker visas is about to change, and IT Manager is one of the ones considered by many to be most at risk of being removed.

I have completed 13 years of study up to completing A-Levels. I didn't go to Uni, instead using the time and money to study IT related qualifications, such as MCPs and CompTIA qualifications. My first question is, do these professional qualifications count as 'Trade Certificates' where the assessment test asks for level of study completed? So do I just have to put 'Obtained a secondary school credential' or can i use the next one down which is 'Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies'?
It depends on how long the courses were in duration as to whether or not they'll count. They need to be at least one year full-time study to count (or the equivalent i.e. if you did it part-time over 2 years instead, but it would normally take 1 year full-time). So whatever your longest period of study was after school would normally be your highest education credential and what you can claim points for.

Next up, pretty much all of my Dad's family live in or around Toronto, thats Aunts, Uncles, Cousins etc. I guess that helps?
Only for the purpose of getting you an extra 5 points for adaptability. Other than that, they're not much use to you as they cannot sponsor you for PR - unless you have any other relatives in another province? There are some provinces that allow Aunts/Uncles/cousins to sponsor you for PR, but Ontario isn't one of them.

When taking the assessment test, I get 67 on the dot if I use the 'Trade Certificate' option, otherwise its 57 with the High School option.
OK, so you need to make sure that the course was at least one year full-time to count - in other words, you can't add up lots of shorters courses to make up the year.

None of this includes any arranged employment, this is all in early stages but if I go ahead then I will be arranging employment beforehand, therefore I assume this will help the points situation?
Arranged employment would certainly help the points situation (it would give you an extra 15 points). But unfortunately it's not as easy as you seem to think to get arranged employment. Bear in mind that it's not just finding a job offer (which is difficult enough especially given the current economic situation and the fact that you are in the UK), but your employer will also have to apply for either an AEO or LMO to prove that the job offer has been approved by HRSDC. If you're not sure of what either of those are, then have a look in the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page).

Unfortunately, most employers just won't go through the paperwork hassle of applying for the AEO/LMO and then wait a year for you to start, so getting arranged employment is actually quite tough unless you have skills in demand.

If you can't apply as a Skilled Worker then there other options such as going on a Temporary Work Permit and then upgrading that to PR, or a Bunac visa as you are under 30. Details of all of the visa routes are in the Wiki.

Hope that the above helps, best of luck.
Old May 27th 2010, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your help so far, it certainly is a minefield!

If you qualify as an 'IT Manager' (which is the only IT related occupation on the list of Skilled Worker occupations), score 67 points or more, have proof of funds, etc, then yes you can apply as a Skilled Worker. Just don't delay as in case you aren't aware the list of eligible occupations for Skilled Worker visas is about to change, and IT Manager is one of the ones considered by many to be most at risk of being removed.
Ok, so the 0213 category "Computer and Information Systems Managers" seems pretty vague, is there anything that breaks it down a bit more so I can work out whether I fall under this catergory or not? Also, when is this change likely to happen? (apologies if its posted, I probably havent searched as well as I should)

It depends on how long the courses were in duration as to whether or not they'll count. They need to be at least one year full-time study to count (or the equivalent i.e. if you did it part-time over 2 years instead, but it would normally take 1 year full-time). So whatever your longest period of study was after school would normally be your highest education credential and what you can claim points for.
I'm pretty sure these courses won't count then as none actually took a year. They were own time study with about 4-5 months classroom based training, spread over a year.

Only for the purpose of getting you an extra 5 points for adaptability. Other than that, they're not much use to you as they cannot sponsor you for PR - unless you have any other relatives in another province? There are some provinces that allow Aunts/Uncles/cousins to sponsor you for PR, but Ontario isn't one of them.
I don't as far as I know have relatives anywhere else in Canada, certainly no one closely related.

Arranged employment would certainly help the points situation (it would give you an extra 15 points). But unfortunately it's not as easy as you seem to think to get arranged employment. Bear in mind that it's not just finding a job offer (which is difficult enough especially given the current economic situation and the fact that you are in the UK), but your employer will also have to apply for either an AEO or LMO to prove that the job offer has been approved by HRSDC. If you're not sure of what either of those are, then have a look in the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page).

Unfortunately, most employers just won't go through the paperwork hassle of applying for the AEO/LMO and then wait a year for you to start, so getting arranged employment is actually quite tough unless you have skills in demand.

If you can't apply as a Skilled Worker then there other options such as going on a Temporary Work Permit and then upgrading that to PR, or a Bunac visa as you are under 30. Details of all of the visa routes are in the Wiki.
I can see how it would be difficult to get a job offer beforehand so this is probably out of the question, but just for my reference, does an AEO/LMO cost the employer anything?

So basically, if I find my job falls under 0213 category, I think I will be OK, but like you said, I need to get my application in soon.

However I guess the more likely route for me will be a temporary work permit or a BUNAC which I will look into now. Am I correct in assuming that once you are there working, it might not be easy but its easier to apply for PR at that time?

Thanks again for your help
Old May 27th 2010, 6:01 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

QUOTE=d_hero;8593748]Hi, thanks for your help so far, it certainly is a minefield!

Ok, so the 0213 category "Computer and Information Systems Managers" seems pretty vague, is there anything that breaks it down a bit more so I can work out whether I fall under this catergory or not? Also, when is this change likely to happen? (apologies if its posted, I probably havent searched as well as I should)

Your work experience must include a majority of those listed here : http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...spx?val65=0213

I'm pretty sure these courses won't count then as none actually took a year. They were own time study with about 4-5 months classroom based training, spread over a year.

No, they won't count as they are industry related.

I don't as far as I know have relatives anywhere else in Canada, certainly no one closely related.

0 points for adaptability, but you said that you have Aunts and Uncles in Canada?

I can see how it would be difficult to get a job offer beforehand so this is probably out of the question, but just for my reference, does an AEO/LMO cost the employer anything?

No

So basically, if I find my job falls under 0213 category, I think I will be OK, but like you said, I need to get my application in soon.

I some how doubt that you will qualify on points without a job offer.

However I guess the more likely route for me will be a temporary work permit or a BUNAC which I will look into now. Am I correct in assuming that once you are there working, it might not be easy but its easier to apply for PR at that time?

Thanks again for your help[/QUOTE]
Old May 27th 2010, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

0 points for adaptability, but you said that you have Aunts and Uncles in Canada?
I mean i dont have any close family in any other province than Ontario. All my aunts and uncles are in toronto.

I some how doubt that you will qualify on points without a job offer.
You're probably right, i get 57 without a job offer, so it looks like that route may be out, which is a shame. I guess I will have to look into the TWP/BUNAC route.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:12 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I mean i dont have any close family in any other province than Ontario. All my aunts and uncles are in toronto.

You're probably right, i get 57 without a job offer, so it looks like that route may be out, which is a shame. I guess I will have to look into the TWP/BUNAC route.
it doesn't matter where the Aunts and Uncles live in Canada (assuming your father's brothers or sister), if you can prove the relationship and they are residing in Canada, you would get the 5 adaptability points.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

I understand that, I was refering to what christmasoompa said above, in that I dont have relatives in another province that allows aunts/uncles to sponsor me for PR: