Some advice please !!!!!!!!!

Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:45 am
Just Joined

CBarclay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some advice please !!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone im christine, im looking for some advice on emmigrating to Canada. Myself my partner and baby. My partner is an Accountant and we have been looking at the skilled worker route, but need more information on this process like time scales, costs etc??
I have family in Vancouver Island but we are willing to move to some where else first so my partner can gain Canadian experiance. Should we try and get a job before we arrive or should we go through the skilled worker route?

I would be grateful to anyone that has the time and knowledge to respond to me.

Kind Regards
Christine
Old Feb 8th 2009, 7:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some advice please !!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by CBarclay
Hi everyone im christine, im looking for some advice on emmigrating to Canada. Myself my partner and baby. My partner is an Accountant and we have been looking at the skilled worker route, but need more information on this process like time scales, costs etc??
I have family in Vancouver Island but we are willing to move to some where else first so my partner can gain Canadian experiance. Should we try and get a job before we arrive or should we go through the skilled worker route?

I would be grateful to anyone that has the time and knowledge to respond to me.

Kind Regards
Christine
Hi Christine and welcome to the forum.

Personally, if you have the option of applying via the SW route then there is no way I'd try to go via a Temp Work Permit - they're just not secure enough, particularly in the current market/recession in Canada (lots of people on here who have been laid off on TWP's, and they are tied to that specific job so you can't work for anybody else without going through the TWP process again). So assuming you meet the other criteria (i.e. have the requisite points etc) then that's the route I'd recommend.

The SW route will apparently take 6-12 months - I say 'apparently' because it's such a new system that we don't yet know that CIC are correct, but that's the timescale they've given and certainly so far they're very, very quick. Most people that have sent their applications off have received their 120 day letters within a month.

As for costs, there is a calculator on the CIC website you can use. But from recollection I think the fee is $450 per person, then a $490 Right to Permanent Landing Fee. And you also need to provide proof of funds - for 3 of you it's $16,580.

Hope that helps and good luck.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Hi following my last thread the question i really need answered is if we start the skilled worker process, and are then offered a job in canada whilst this is still being processed what happens??? do we loose visa money or can the process still be finished whilst we are in Canada???

Thanks
Christine
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

Hi following my last thread the question i really need answered is if we start the skilled worker process, and are then offered a job in canada whilst this is still being processed what happens??? do we loose visa money or can the process still be finished whilst we are in Canada???

Thanks
Christine
No you wouldn't lose your visa money. If you were offered a job, and you took it and came out to Canada, all you'd need to do is inform the CHC in London of your new Canadian address. The process for permanent residence remains the same - you'd do your medicals in Canada - and all your correspondence with the CHC would be sent to your new address in Canada.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Thankyou so much for replying !!

Kind Regards
Christine
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:24 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

My partner is an Accountant
Is he qualified? If so, he should look to convert his qualification to the Canadian equivalent as soon as he can. ACCA to CGA is very straight forward. Chartered and Management accountants have their equivalent bodies and he should contact them.

You can get a decent job without a Canadian accounting designation, but it is a lot easier with one.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Hi Thankyou, yes he is qualified!!

Has anyone recently emmigrated to Canada as a skilled worker and if so how long did the process take.???

Christine
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ron Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really nice

This is a new process for Federal Skilled Workers - while nobody can tell you for sure, the government's aim of processing applications in 6 to 12 months seems realistic at present.

Just to clarify the government immigration fees, these are $550 per adult applicant to apply and $150 per dependent child. When you get close to taking up your permanent residence, there is a fee of $490 payable by each adult applicant.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Thankyou
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Hi Christine

I am one of those who applied in early Jan (9th) and had the 120 day letter back on Feb 2nd. When I applied I sent the whole fees as calculated. They have sent me a receipt for the whole amount which I have copied and send with the package to London. This means that I have paid for taking up the residence as well.

I would apply via the FSW route as your husband is on the list--unless you get a family sponsor. This ensures that you have the legal right once it has all passed to live and work there. A lot of the jobs I have seen, and there are a lot in the Oil/Chemical Industry, have all said that you have got to be legally entitled to work in Canada. By gaining residence you should be able to get a position without any trouble.

JET
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to the OP

We emigrated here in 2007 - hubby is chartered accountant. We were going to apply SW route but came out to visit family and friends and ended up getting a job whilst we were here.

Am sure that if your hubby was to send a canadianised CV to some firms then he would get some response - especially if you had a recce planned and could give dates he could "meet up" wth people.

I do know from when my hubby was applying that alot of the "Big 4" firms are not put off by foreign accountants eg deloittes etc. Hubby now works for Meyer Norris Penny here in Lethbridge and I know that they have at least one other uK Chartered working in BC also.

Good Luck

gaynor
Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks alot for your comments , its great to hear from someone that was in a similar position.

Christine x
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

MrBBQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if the 6-12 months FSW processing time correct? I have just checked the london canada immigration site and it quotes 42-48 months.

http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/processing_times.htm

I hope it isn't 42-48 months!

Jed
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jed83
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if the 6-12 months FSW processing time correct? I have just checked the london canada immigration site and it quotes 42-48 months.

http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/processing_times.htm

I hope it isn't 42-48 months!

Jed
42-48 months is the old timeline for those who applied before the new FSW route was implemented in which you had to have a job on the LIST.

Under the new system they are estimating between 6-12 months.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

MrBBQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiton6
Under the new system they are estimating between 6-12 months.
Ahhhh! I'm not really aware of changes as I haven't been concentrating on applying since early last year!

I am assuming that The LIST is the "The List of 38" that everyone has been talking about? I have just taken a look at the LIST and can't see my job on there even though I am in Information Technology Management, my title is Assistant Network Manager, I do most of the things quoted as "Main Duties" and can get a job description to that effect. Will this be enough?

Thanks in advance!

Jed

Last edited by MrBBQ; Feb 11th 2009 at 9:14 pm.