Some advice if possible.

Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

feckthedee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some advice if possible.

We definitely want to move to Canada.
My job profession falls under NOC 2253.

Our plan is for me to head over initially, to see if things work out with work.
Then wife and daughter follow later.
I've had a provisional offer subject to LMO clearance and the position has a 3 month probationary period as you would expect.

Is it better to just apply for my visa initially and then sort my wife and daughters later, once the 3 month probation is successful?

OR

is it advisable to do the whole families at once?

Are there pros and cons to both ways of doing this?

Under my occupation, can my wife get a job without needing LMO clearance as for a job?

Or would it be a case of, apply for full citizenship 3 years down the line and then she could get a job anyway?

Thanks.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some advice if possible.

Your wife would be entitled to a spousal open work permit as your skill level is skill B.
IMHO wait the 3 months as what if you don't like the job or you don't make the 3 month probation period. That would save a few thousand on air fares.
They can come over at any time and she could apply for an open work permit on arrival and pay the $155. If wanting to work with children or in healthcare positions she would need to have a medical exam. Children would be issued visitor records so they can attend school.
Are you thinking of applying for PR status and if so which route?
Old Mar 25th 2014, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

I thought for PR status, you just waited 3 years then you qualified for it.
It was then a case of submitting paperwork.

Is that not the case? (Excuse my ignorance)
Old Mar 25th 2014, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feckthedee

You maybe are thinking of Citizenship.. not PR?
Old Mar 25th 2014, 4:43 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feckthedee

you seem to be confusing PR with Citizenship. they are not the same thing.

On a work permit , you are a temporary worker.
in some cases you can use this to apply for PR
you cannot become a Citizen until you have PR status for a set number of days and have passed the citizenship test and a whole slew of other things that's all about to change!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest mate - I would wait the 3 months , gives you a chance to make sure you like the job , area etc and get somewhere decent to stay ready for the family coming .

Where are you heading for ?
Old Mar 25th 2014, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by burks
You maybe are thinking of Citizenship.. not PR?
Ah right.

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
you seem to be confusing PR with Citizenship. they are not the same thing.

On a work permit , you are a temporary worker.
in some cases you can use this to apply for PR
you cannot become a Citizen until you have PR status for a set number of days and have passed the citizenship test and a whole slew of other things that's all about to change!
Thanks for clearing that bit up.

Originally Posted by nldfc
To be honest mate - I would wait the 3 months , gives you a chance to make sure you like the job , area etc and get somewhere decent to stay ready for the family coming .

Where are you heading for ?
Looks like BC at the moment, had originally planned for AB, but that was purely because one of my mates used to live there.

I'll go where the work is.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 5:17 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Employment in Canada is often tenuous, especially during the 3 month probationary period. The probationary period is written into employment legislation and the employer can let someone go without reason during this period. On a TWP, you cannot work for another employer, you would have to go through the whole process all over again if the job does not pan out or at worst, return to your home country if you cannot afford to stay as a visitor and not work.

Uprooting the family if there are kids involved, at what point do you uproot them? Ideally when things are more stable.

PR is not automatic, you have to qualify for it, apply and hopefully get it. Up to that point a TWP holder is a temporary resident.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Thank you.

There is no way i would uproot the family within that 3 month period.
I know I can survive and get by on my own quite easily.

I tend to throw myself into my work and physical training, where there is just me to contend with.