Soft Landing - just checking

Old Jan 30th 2020, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

glb19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Soft Landing - just checking

We're 3 weeks away now from our trip to Canada for my partner to do a soft landing and I just want to make sure I have all the correct information about everything. And before you link me to the wiki pages, yes I have read them all but I just need reassurance

We're not planning on moving probably until sometime next year, so he tells them that he is only landing to activate his PR and not settle yet, correct? He will have my parent's address for them to send the PR card to which I assume will be fine... my parents can give it to him when they travel over to visit us this summer.

As it's only a landing to declare PR, he shouldn't need a goods accompanying or goods to follow list with him, right? We'll probably do one just in case but I'm assuming if asked he can decline and say one will be given when we land to settle at a later date? I had read something that made it sound like if you give an address for a PR card to be sent to, then they considered that landing to settle and therefore needing to provide the goods lists at that time, but not sure if that's the case?

I think that's it... I'm not even the one declaring PR but it's been making me nervous for a few months haha.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soft Landing - just checking

Originally Posted by glb19
We're 3 weeks away now from our trip to Canada for my partner to do a soft landing and I just want to make sure I have all the correct information about everything. And before you link me to the wiki pages, yes I have read them all but I just need reassurance

We're not planning on moving probably until sometime next year, so he tells them that he is only landing to activate his PR and not settle yet, correct? He will have my parent's address for them to send the PR card to which I assume will be fine... my parents can give it to him when they travel over to visit us this summer.

As it's only a landing to declare PR, he shouldn't need a goods accompanying or goods to follow list with him, right? We'll probably do one just in case but I'm assuming if asked he can decline and say one will be given when we land to settle at a later date? I had read something that made it sound like if you give an address for a PR card to be sent to, then they considered that landing to settle and therefore needing to provide the goods lists at that time, but not sure if that's the case?

I think that's it... I'm not even the one declaring PR but it's been making me nervous for a few months haha.
All correct, and distinction between landing for PR and landing as settler described in wiki(including official link as regards this).

The only possible snag is that they may (or may not) agree to send your PR card to the Canadian address you provide if they get wind that you will not be there when the card is issued and will arrive. It worked for my wife, but a bit of a coin toss. If they refuse, they will still land you as PR, but just tell you to apply for the PR card once you have landed for good (there is a form for this).
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
All correct, and distinction between landing for PR and landing as settler described in wiki(including official link as regards this).

The only possible snag is that they may (or may not) agree to send your PR card to the Canadian address you provide if they get wind that you will not be there when the card is issued and will arrive. It worked for my wife, but a bit of a coin toss. If they refuse, they will still land you as PR, but just tell you to apply for the PR card once you have landed for good (there is a form for this).
And if they don't issue the PR card then, your husband will have to apply for a PRTD at the Canadian high commission in London before you return to Canada to settle.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks both.

We'll do a goods to follow just in case there's any hassle, but hopefully not as I doubt we'll be moving for at least a year that list would be bound to change, and I know you can't change it once stamped!

Does a goods accompanying form HAVE to be filled out? There won't be anything with us on this trip so assume we can just leave that bit blank? (And just to be sure that I have things right, BSF186 is goods accompanying, and BSF186A is goods to follow, right? Or do you start listing your goods to follow on 186 and then continue them onto 186A? )

This is all stressing me out probably more than it needs to be.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both.

We'll do a goods to follow just in case there's any hassle, but hopefully not as I doubt we'll be moving for at least a year that list would be bound to change, and I know you can't change it once stamped!

Does a goods accompanying form HAVE to be filled out? There won't be anything with us on this trip so assume we can just leave that bit blank? (And just to be sure that I have things right, BSF186 is goods accompanying, and BSF186A is goods to follow, right? Or do you start listing your goods to follow on 186 and then continue them onto 186A? )

This is all stressing me out probably more than it needs to be.
If CBSA do their job then there are no forms to fill out as you are not landing as a settler so therefore no goods to follow list is required on doing a soft landing. You must inform CBSA that you are not establishing a residence on landing and if needed print out this D Memo and show them paras 5 to 10 of the D Memo

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-2-1-eng.html
Old Feb 4th 2020, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If CBSA do their job then there are no forms to fill out as you are not landing as a settler so therefore no goods to follow list is required on doing a soft landing. You must inform CBSA that you are not establishing a residence on landing and if needed print out this D Memo and show them paras 5 to 10 of the D Memo

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-2-1-eng.html

Thanks. I've printed a copy of this and highlighted paragraph 10 just in case. I'm going to have to drill everything into my partners head about all this since I'm a citizen so I'll be leaving him to do it while I go meet up with an old friend for the evening before we fly to Halifax early the next morning.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I've printed a copy of this and highlighted paragraph 10 just in case. I'm going to have to drill everything into my partners head about all this since I'm a citizen so I'll be leaving him to do it while I go meet up with an old friend for the evening before we fly to Halifax early the next morning.
Even when you DO 'land as settler', you do NOT need to fill out an actual CBSA form for your goods to follow / goods accompanying list. What you DO need are two copies of both the GTA and GTF lists (example as per wiki) listing each item with a CAD$ value against each and a total at the end. CBSA fill out the official form and clip your list to it etc. (all explained in wiki).
Old Feb 6th 2020, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Even when you DO 'land as settler', you do NOT need to fill out an actual CBSA form for your goods to follow / goods accompanying list. What you DO need are two copies of both the GTA and GTF lists (example as per wiki) listing each item with a CAD$ value against each and a total at the end. CBSA fill out the official form and clip your list to it etc. (all explained in wiki).
Okay, so if we just do a Word or Excel sheet rather than any of the official CBSA then that's completely fine?
Old Feb 6th 2020, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Okay, so if we just do a Word or Excel sheet rather than any of the official CBSA then that's completely fine?
yes
Old Feb 6th 2020, 4:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't you say you had read the wiki

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods...and_BSF186A.3F

(lots of info in our moving section https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...gistics-Canada )
Old Feb 7th 2020, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Didn't you say you had read the wiki

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods...and_BSF186A.3F

(lots of info in our moving section https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...gistics-Canada )
Yes I have haha, just always worry that I'm either misinterpreting something or have missed something. Need reassurance

Thanks for all the responses everyone.
Old Mar 13th 2020, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Just a note to say thanks for all the responses and that the landing at Pearson last month went very smoothly. In and out in 10 mins. They let us use my parents address for the PR card and didn't make any mention of goods accompanying or goods to follow so we can do that when we land to settle.

The officer had problems finding my parents exact address on the system so they gave us a website to input the information for the PR card to be sent. Just slightly worried as there was no confirmation email received from us sending the form in, and despite it currently being a 13-day processing time, my parents said nothing has come through yet when we did the form 20 days ago. I know it varies but I don't know how we'd find out if for some reason the form didn't go through, especially as they told us there was only a 10 day limit to do it...
Old Mar 15th 2020, 11:36 am
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

That is a most useful set of posts but I wonder if glb19 could find a moment to list the documents that were needed on (soft) landing.
I've studied the wiki's and other postings on the subject so it would appear that all that is needed is:
Passport
COPR
An address to which the PR card will be sent.

If so, are SIN's and registration for the provinces medical services left for issue when landing as a settler?
Old Mar 15th 2020, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by btar
I've studied the wiki's and other postings on the subject so it would appear that all that is needed is:
Passport
COPR
An address to which the PR card will be sent.
Correct for many immigration streams, but for some you also need proof of funds? Which immigration stream are you?

Originally Posted by btar
If so, are SIN's and registration for the provinces medical services left for issue when landing ?
​​​​​​​You can sort out your SIN on a soft landing (but do not have to). You cannot apply for provinvial healthcare until you are actually resident.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 12:39 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the quick response and information - it would be the Family Sponsorship programme. We were contemplating a quick visit from the UK for a soft landing but I'm beginning to think this might not be a good time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.