Soft landing

Old Jul 8th 2021, 9:01 am
Just Joined

DJmover is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Soft landing

Hi guys
I am a new member (1 hour ago), so hope that I'm not violating some site rules. I have searched and read some threads, but none post-date the recent permission for doubly vaccinated people to enter Canada.

I received my COPR a couple of weeks ago and was intending to make a soft landing (as described on the wiki) in August (2021), before returning to the UK to sell house etc to facilitate my permanent move.

I was told that this was not possible by a site (that I joined before discovering this one) and they quoted you must "be coming to Canada to settle permanently (you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary)" as the reason. Apart from the fact that the statement is illogical (never leave Canada again!!), it did make me wonder whether I was missing something regarding soft landing in this covid world.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 8th 2021, 9:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soft landing

Originally Posted by DJmover View Post
Hi guys
I am a new member (1 hour ago), so hope that I'm not violating some site rules. I have searched and read some threads, but none post-date the recent permission for doubly vaccinated people to enter Canada.

I received my COPR a couple of weeks ago and was intending to make a soft landing (as described on the wiki) in August (2021), before returning to the UK to sell house etc to facilitate my permanent move.

I was told that this was not possible by a site (that I joined before discovering this one) and they quoted you must "be coming to Canada to settle permanently (you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary)" as the reason. Apart from the fact that the statement is illogical (never leave Canada again!!), it did make me wonder whether I was missing something regarding soft landing in this covid world.

Thanks in advance
Nope, you're not missing anything! You are only allowed in to Canada for certain reasons at the moment, so those looking to just holiday etc can't enter, but activating PR means you're exempt from the travel restrictions.

HTH, best of luck with the landing.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Soft landing

Thanks for that extremely prompt reply. Glad I found this site.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 9:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that extremely prompt reply. Glad I found this site.
No problem. To be fair, the restrictions on COPR's only changed a couple of weeks ago. Technically you are supposed to be moving when you land, but there's no restrictions on leaving Canada once you've done that.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

jordanleanne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

Thanks in advance
Hi, welcome to the site!
Do you mind if I jump in and ask when you submitted the application and received you offer, so I can gauge a 'real life' example of the current timings?
Old Jul 8th 2021, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Tabularasa is an unknown quantity at this point

I am travelling with my family soon and I was told even though we have our work/study visas approved, as the lead applicant I have permission to travel but my wife and son need Authorisation to Travel letters which is a new COVID requirement since they are still restricting movement. Maybe you need this?
Old Jul 8th 2021, 4:38 pm
**EX-MOD CHECKSUM**

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

Thanks in advance
Hi and welcome to BE!

Presumably you would need to be 'in transit' to be able to leave again to do a 'soft landing' - but you wouldn't be able to leave the airport... i.e. you would need to get a flight that arrives early and another that leaves late the same day.. or first thing the next morning..
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...transit-flight

Otherwise you would need to follow the guidelines if you wanted to stay more than a few hours - you will need to show your quarantine plan for 14 days etc.,
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...etermine-fully
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...lly-vaccinated

This is where that information you were given on another forum came from:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration....html#approved

If we already approved your permanent residence application

If you’re outside Canada and your COPR and permanent resident visa are still valid

We’re changing Canada’s travel restrictions. If you hold a valid (not expired) Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and visa, you can travel to Canada as of June 21, 2021.

You must also
  • be coming to Canada to settle permanently (you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary) and
  • show you’re able to quarantine for 14 days
It's not that you can't ever leave again - but at this time you are not supposed to do a 'soft landing' .. as in ' you are not supposed to come to Canada and stay a few days then leave to go and live back in England for a couple of months or until you are ready to move over permanently !'

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 8th 2021 at 4:43 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Submitted application 1st Jan 2019
Offer 21st June 2021
Old Jul 15th 2021, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Submitted application 1st Jan 2019
Offer 21st June 2021
Thank you! Did Covid cause quite a backlog do you think, or was your application complicated at all?
I was hoping to think the processing time would be much quicker than that- when we submitted in Feb 2021 there was initially a countdown timer on our login page but that's been taken down since.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 1:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by jordanleanne View Post
Thank you! Did Covid cause quite a backlog do you think, or was your application complicated at all?
I was hoping to think the processing time would be much quicker than that- when we submitted in Feb 2021 there was initially a countdown timer on our login page but that's been taken down since.
It's so dependent on how you applied though, the OP hasn't said - theirs may have been a spousal sponsorship application or paper based PNP, so not terribly relevant unless you've applied the same way? Each PR route has different processing times and procedures.

CIC took away the progress bar in March, as it's just not accurate any longer with the backlog, if you only submitted in February then whichever route you're using it will be quite a while longer.

Good luck.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

I should have mentioned that I applied under the Family Sponsorship scheme, for which the original estimate of processing time was 20-24 months (pre-covid). I would expect other schemes would be much quicker, but can't advise on them.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
It's so dependent on how you applied though, the OP hasn't said - theirs may have been a spousal sponsorship application or paper based PNP, so not terribly relevant unless you've applied the same way? Each PR route has different processing times and procedures.

CIC took away the progress bar in March, as it's just not accurate any longer with the backlog, if you only submitted in February then whichever route you're using it will be quite a while longer.

Good luck.
Ah, that makes sense. We've applied for PR, through EE. My husband is lead applicant, and just me accompanying. The original estimate when we submitted calculated to the end of August, but as you said the progress bar is gone.

I should have mentioned that I applied under the Family Sponsorship scheme, for which the original estimate of processing time was 20-24 months (pre-covid). I would expect other schemes would be much quicker, but can't advise on them.
Thanks! I'm glad you're getting there!
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 1:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ah, that makes sense. We've applied for PR, through EE. My husband is lead applicant, and just me accompanying. The original estimate when we submitted calculated to the end of August, but as you said the progress bar is gone.
Ah yes, progress bar has been taken away (from the website - "Starting March 26, 2021, until further notice we’re removing the progress bar in all Express Entry applicants’ online accounts.")

And depending on which program you applied under, your application may be on hold anyway, unless it was CEC? If any other EE route then add a good chunk of time on to your original estimate, as it'll take them to a while to get through the backlog when they do start processing apps again.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 24th 2021, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

We applied in April this year and got COPR this last week but we are already in Canada I believe that they where only processing applications for people already in Canada for awhile.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

LotusLeodis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I was wondering the same thing.

Mr LL has CoPR, set to expire April 2022. We are in the middle of getting ready to sell our house and with the unpredictability of COVID and travel rules, we were thinking of landing (by air from the UK, obviously) in October for 16 - 18 days to accommodate possible quarantine and come back to give ourselves more time to tie things off.

Is this now not possible to do?

I'm worried if we leave it until March to travel, something COVID-y + CBSA striking with work to rule an imminent possibility, could scupper plans to enter and activate PR that late, therefore cancelling the whole thing. We are both double vaccinated.

Does anyone have any information about this?

Thanks in advance,

LL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.