Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sod it! Had enough. Going down the...

Sod it! Had enough. Going down the...

Old Sep 7th 2011, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sod it! Had enough. Going down the...

student route, more than likely.

Currently studying back at home (and I use the word "home" loosely as this is not where I feel at home). Found something I wanted to learn well enough to go back to school. 3 weeks in I'm thinking about continuing next fall at university or college level so why not in Toronto. Am exploring various schools and hope to be over during my fall break to go visit them. I want a two year course, which is more than likely at a community college. Or go for a BFA or BAA which is 4 years!!! I'd graduate when I'm passed 50 then.

So, who's going to tell me the pro's and con's of going at it the student way?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 9:48 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sod it! Had enough. Going down the...

Hi

Originally Posted by YYZlover
student route, more than likely.

Currently studying back at home (and I use the word "home" loosely as this is not where I feel at home). Found something I wanted to learn well enough to go back to school. 3 weeks in I'm thinking about continuing next fall at university or college level so why not in Toronto. Am exploring various schools and hope to be over during my fall break to go visit them. I want a two year course, which is more than likely at a community college. Or go for a BFA or BAA which is 4 years!!! I'd graduate when I'm passed 50 then.

So, who's going to tell me the pro's and con's of going at it the student way?
1. Cost, you have to get acceptance to a school, show proof of funds of around $10K or more for first year tuition, $10K for living expenses for the first year,+ $5K for each dependent and $2K for transporation/insurance.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Cost, you have to get acceptance to a school, show proof of funds of around $10K or more for first year tuition, $10K for living expenses for the first year,+ $5K for each dependent and $2K for transporation/insurance.
Well, considering I just inherited a farm that by spring 2012 will have a brand new house on it when it sells, the property gains tax (22% here) will be more than what is needed. Basically I *need* to get out of the country before July 1st next year unless I want to hand over enough money covering 2+ years of living costs to the tax man. If the money is to be spent on anything, it should be on education. Or so I think.

What I'm trying to figure out is working as a student. I understand that I can work part time on campus without a work permit during my first year. It also sais that the second year I can apply for a work permit and work part time, provided I have been a full time student with good academic standings for at least 6 months in the past 12 months. That is the confusing part. Does it mean that I can apply for a workpermit after 6 months and work off campus or do I have to have been in school for 12 months?

And does that work permit allow me to work as self employed? I presume the permit would be an OWP for students.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 7:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

One fairly big negative is that studying in Canada no longer leads to PR. It used to be that after a year of studying, you could apply as a FSW (category 3) but that program was scrapped last year.

Old Sep 7th 2011, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

busycouple is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
One fairly big negative is that studying in Canada no longer leads to PR. It used to be that after a year of studying, you could apply as a FSW (category 3) but that program was scrapped last year.

Not wanting to steal the tread but when they ask you to have completed graduated level program from a publicly funded community college, trade/technical school or university, does a 2 year diploma count?

also
Does a cretificate count?
Does a 1 year diploma count, if there is such a thing?
Old Sep 8th 2011, 2:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busycouple
Not wanting to steal the tread but when they ask you to have completed graduated level program from a publicly funded community college, trade/technical school or university, does a 2 year diploma count?

also
Sorry, does it count for what? Entrance to a Canadian study course, or a PR application, or..........??

If you can clarify what you are asking then hopefully somebody can help.

Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Hmmm.... Was reading on the CIC website about Canadian Experience Class and to qualify for that as a student you must have worked in Canada for 1 year after completing studies in Canada.(source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp)

I also found that apparently you can get a work permit valid for minimum half the time spent studying, after graduation. So a two year college course would give me a 1 year work permit after studies are completed, thus making me eligible for CEC. (source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp)

But my main concern is the work permit Off Campus while studying (source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/w...campus-who.asp - in particular this part: "have been a full-time student for at least six of the 12 months preceding the date of your work permit application") and if that work permit is then an OWP and means I could work as self employed?

Last edited by YYZlover; Sep 8th 2011 at 3:16 am.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hmmm.... Was reading on the CIC website about Canadian Experience Class and to qualify for that as a student you must have worked in Canada for 1 year after completing studies in Canada. I also found that apparently you can get a work permit valid for the half the time spent studying, after graduation. So a two year college course would give me a 1 year work permit after studies are completed, thus making me eligible for CEC.
Yes, but it's not automatic like it used to be was what I meant. There is a possible route to PR, but it's not certain that it will result in PR so it's whether you'd be happy to take that risk.

The work must be skilled as well don't forget - not sure what you do now but you'd need at least one year full-time working in a skilled occupation after your course to qualify.

Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, but it's not automatic like it used to be was what I meant. There is a possible route to PR, but it's not certain that it will result in PR so it's whether you'd be happy to take that risk.
Yes I am.
The work must be skilled as well don't forget - not sure what you do now but you'd need at least one year full-time working in a skilled occupation after your course to qualify.

Skilled as in *the list* or just NOC 0, A and B?
Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Skilled as in *the list* or just NOC 0, A and B?
Just NOC A, O or B. Another thing to think about is that if you've only got a one year post-graduate work permit, you'd need to start work immediately and work for the full year of that to qualify. Not sure if that will be possible or not, so you may need to get a proper TWP to give you the full year.

Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Just NOC A, O or B. Another thing to think about is that if you've only got a one year post-graduate work permit, you'd need to start work immediately and work for the full year of that to qualify. Not sure if that will be possible or not, so you may need to get a proper TWP to give you the full year.

I'd end up with an education in 513 (skills level A) and 522 (skills level B). I'm already working in that bracket.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Sorry, does it count for what? Entrance to a Canadian study course, or a PR application, or..........??

If you can clarify what you are asking then hopefully somebody can help.

Sorry. What I meant was when applying through a student PNP when they ask you to have completed graduated level program from a publicly funded community college, trade/technical school or university in Canada, does a 2 year diploma count? As I wouldnt have thought a Diploma meant your a graduate.

also

Last edited by busycouple; Sep 8th 2011 at 4:14 am.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Sorry was that still a little unclear?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by busycouple
Sorry was that still a little unclear?
Yes, sorry! I'm not sure what you mean by 'student PNP' (do you mean a post-graduate stream PR application?), can you clarify and tell us which province?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

I think I must have got my acronyms wrong, it is the International graduate scheme in Alberta. http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...ting/ainp.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.