Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Skills Immigration - Health Care Professionals, or Express Entry pathway?

Skills Immigration - Health Care Professionals, or Express Entry pathway?

Old Jun 2nd 2019, 4:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skills Immigration - Health Care Professionals, or Express Entry pathway?

Originally Posted by Snowroll
You're right, there is some confusion... But with your help, and others in this thread and forum, we are making progress.
If the work permit's validity will be long enough to allow the PR process, then that removes most of the uncertainty. Our plan is to stay in BC permanently, so if it takes another year or two before we get a PR/Canadian citizenship, so be it.
Thanks!
You are welcome! If by some remote chance your PR application hadn't been finalised by then, you would ask them for another letter of support and apply to extend the work permit (but I think it's highly unlikely that it would take 2 years for Immigration Canada to process the application) - Express Entry is relatively fast, provided you have given them all the information and documentation in a timely manner. With Provincial Nomination you normally have a maximum of 6 months to submit the full application from the time you are nominated. Paper applications for Provincial Nomination and subsequent application for PR take FAR longer than Provincial Nomination through Express Entry, so do try to check that you can apply through PNP EE per the link in my previous post.

Citizenship is a long way down the road yet - once you become a Permanent Resident then remain in Canada for 3 years (some of the time on a Temp Work Permit can count towards that - you get 50% 'credit' for days of residence on a TWP to a maximum of 12 months

Take your time to read through all the help files and guides on the website and ask all the questions you like here! Whilst the "Doctors" thread is very long, it's really worth reading, lots of very helpful information particularly for BC doctors. Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 2nd 2019 at 4:32 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 8:20 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skills Immigration - Health Care Professionals, or Express Entry pathway?

not doctors but we used bc pnp (hubs a crane driver) and he was in country in 8 weeks (I stayed to finish out the school year with the kids, then arrived on s sowp which I got as his spouse) it took 18m on twp before PR granted, and they changed the rules for citizenship twice while we waited, so we just applied for that after four years of pr. It took a year and we just got our test dates thru so assuming we pass seven years from arriving we will have citizenship, almost to the day.

pros of pnp, it’s quicker, and you have someone to talk to if you need to change employer ASAP they can help you.
Cons if you apply for pr from uk you pay for it once when they finally deem you worthy 😂 if you go the other route, you pay for twp, then renewal of twp if you have to, (and if you don’t live near a border there’s travel costs etc for everyone in the family) then pr paperwork, so it costs more, BUT you’re living in country and getting used to things, kids acclimatize as young as possible. And a lot of things are cheaper here than in uk.

Either way you will struggle to get a mortgage until PR.

Good luck and welcome to Canada.
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 9:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to having to travel to the border if you are in Canada under a TWP when COPR is granted, you don't have to go to the border or leave the country unless you want to. You can go to an Inland Office to process the COPR and do your "landing" interview and become Permanent Residents.

How do I validate a Confirmation of Permanent Residence or a permanent resident visa if I live in Canada?
If you already live in Canada, you have two options to become a permanent resident:

You can make an appointment at one of our offices near where you live in Canada. To do this, contact us by using this Web form.
If you are not able to make an appointment as set out above, you may leave Canada and return through an international airport or a Canadian land border.
As to the question on Mortgages, that's isn't necessarily true, most of the big banks will give mortgages to people on a temporary work permit - and there's a 'newcomer to Canada' mortgage to help reduce the level of deposit needed and alternative ways to prove credit worthiness. Most brokers can find you alternative lenders if you can't meet the requirements for the bigger banks too.

New To Canada Program - Products - Genworth Canada - Genworth Canada - Homeownership
Must have immigrated or relocated to Canada within the last 60 months
Must have a valid work permit
or obtained landed immigrant status
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Snowroll is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by __TJ__
not doctors but we used bc pnp (hubs a crane driver) and he was in country in 8 weeks (I stayed to finish out the school year with the kids, then arrived on s sowp which I got as his spouse) it took 18m on twp before PR granted, and they changed the rules for citizenship twice while we waited, so we just applied for that after four years of pr. It took a year and we just got our test dates thru so assuming we pass seven years from arriving we will have citizenship, almost to the day.

pros of pnp, it’s quicker, and you have someone to talk to if you need to change employer ASAP they can help you.
Cons if you apply for pr from uk you pay for it once when they finally deem you worthy 😂 if you go the other route, you pay for twp, then renewal of twp if you have to, (and if you don’t live near a border there’s travel costs etc for everyone in the family) then pr paperwork, so it costs more, BUT you’re living in country and getting used to things, kids acclimatize as young as possible. And a lot of things are cheaper here than in uk.

Either way you will struggle to get a mortgage until PR.

Good luck and welcome to Canada.
Thanks. I wonder why does getting the PR take so long with a TWP, one would think that it should be faster than starting from scratch/abroad. Is there any way to expedite things, or is this just the way the system works?
The mortgage problem might be a drawback, as we would like to get one as soon as possible (will rent when we arrive). However, I see that @Siouxie has provided another perspective, so it might not be so bad. But anyway, as nearly all rentals that we looked at so far, require a minimum of one year lease, waiting a few more months on top of that for the PR and a mortgage, is something we could live with.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
With regards to having to travel to the border if you are in Canada under a TWP when COPR is granted, you don't have to go to the border or leave the country unless you want to. You can go to an Inland Office to process the COPR and do your "landing" interview and become Permanent Residents.

How do I validate a Confirmation of Permanent Residence or a permanent resident visa if I live in Canada?
If you already live in Canada, you have two options to become a permanent resident:

You can make an appointment at one of our offices near where you live in Canada. To do this, contact us by using this Web form.
If you are not able to make an appointment as set out above, you may leave Canada and return through an international airport or a Canadian land border.
As to the question on Mortgages, that's isn't necessarily true, most of the big banks will give mortgages to people on a temporary work permit - and there's a 'newcomer to Canada' mortgage to help reduce the level of deposit needed and alternative ways to prove credit worthiness. Most brokers can find you alternative lenders if you can't meet the requirements for the bigger banks too.

New To Canada Program - Products - Genworth Canada - Genworth Canada - Homeownership
Must have immigrated or relocated to Canada within the last 60 months
Must have a valid work permit
or obtained landed immigrant status
Thanks. I'm going to bookmark this thread and return to it quite a few times
It seems, at the moment, that we will choose the PNP/TWP route to get to Canada. When would be the right time to start the PR process? Is it as soon as we get to Canada, or nearing the end of the TWP? I know it's further down the line, but what is the recommended procedure for that?
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 6:30 am
Banned

Thanks. I wonder why does getting the PR take so long with a TWP, one would think that it should be faster than starting from scratch/abroad. Is there any way to expedite things, or is this just the way the system works?
The mortgage problem might be a drawback, as we would like to get one as soon as possible (will rent when we arrive). However, I see that @Siouxie has provided another perspective, so it might not be so bad. But anyway, as nearly all rentals that we looked at so far, require a minimum of one year lease, waiting a few more months on top of that for the PR and a mortgage, is something we could live with.

Thanks. I'm going to bookmark this thread and return to it quite a few times
It seems, at the moment, that we will choose the PNP/TWP route to get to Canada. When would be the right time to start the PR process? Is it as soon as we get to Canada, or nearing the end of the TWP? I know it's further down the line, but what is the recommended procedure for that?
As I mentioned in previous posts, when you apply under Provincial Nomination you are required to submit the full application for Permanent Residency normally within 6 months of being nominated. Provincial Nomination can be considered a 1st stage of the application for Permanent Residency. The TWP is something you would be able to apply for (with a letter of support) after the '1st stage' of the PR application is in place i.e. you have been nominated for Permanent Residency by the Province. (for some an LMIA would be necessary but with a letter of support from the nominating Province that normally isn't a requirement)

It may be of help to read up on it so that there is no further confusion (you should definitely read up on EE PNP and the steps you will need to do).
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ees/works.html

The length of time it takes for one person is not the same as it may take for another - additionally it depends on whether the application for Provincial Nomination and Permanent Residency is done via the paper process or through Express entry - as explained up thread.. they are not the same process. You can apply for PNP and subsequent Permanent Residency without every applying for a Temporary Work Permit - the TWP is a bonus, not a requirement, for most routes for PNP..

On the 'rental' subject most rentals are for a minimum of 1 year, anything you may find (such as executive rentals) that may be shorter term tend to be extremely expensive. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...tial-tenancies

Banks offer mortgages to temporary work permit holders, again, what may be an issue for one person obtaining a mortgage may not be an issue at all for another... for example - https://www.rbc.com/newcomers/what-we-offer.html - and the Newcomer Mortgage I linked to up thread is available to most people who are new to Canada.

You are not comparing apples with apples necessarily.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 3rd 2019 at 6:36 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 9:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It may be of help to read up on it so that there is no further confusion (you should definitely read up on EE PNP and the steps you will need to do).
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ees/works.html
One thing to check is if EE PNP will be an option. I know previously Healthmatch BC have refused to support EE PNP apps, for some unknown reason, and so if the OP is using Healthmatch then it may be the much slower paper based route will be the only way to PR. Previous thread on the subject - Residency via EE or PNP

Personally, if I were the OP I'd still look to see if eligible for PR via EE now, and get that underway if so whilst waiting for a job offer/LMIA to get a TWP. They may have PR before moving then.

Old Jun 3rd 2019, 9:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
they changed the rules for citizenship twice while we waited, so we just applied for that after four years of pr.
Just for the sake of anybody reading, the rules changed to only 3 years of PR in October 2017, plus you could count time on TWP's or other visas as half time towards the citizenship requirement. So you could have applied earlier if you wished, just wanted to point that out in case anybody thought you had to wait for 4 years of PR which isn't the case any longer.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 1:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
One thing to check is if EE PNP will be an option. I know previously Healthmatch BC have refused to support EE PNP apps, for some unknown reason, and so if the OP is using Healthmatch then it may be the much slower paper based route will be the only way to PR. Previous thread on the subject - Residency via EE or PNP

Personally, if I were the OP I'd still look to see if eligible for PR via EE now, and get that underway if so whilst waiting for a job offer/LMIA to get a TWP. They may have PR before moving then.

I wasn't aware of that - thank you christmasoompa! You make a very good point and a case for getting the application in for EE as soon as possible.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just for the sake of anybody reading, the rules changed to only 3 years of PR in October 2017, plus you could count time on TWP's or other visas as half time towards the citizenship requirement. So you could have applied earlier if you wished, just wanted to point that out in case anybody thought you had to wait for 4 years of PR which isn't the case any longer.
+1
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you christmasoompa and Siouxie for your insights - and patience, this is still a bit overwhelming and confusing. christmasoompa ,you're right, Healthmatch BC made it very clear that they only support the PNP/TWP pathway. They have been, at least so far, very helpful and approachable and we would like to think that their advice carries some weight.

Why is it so important to get the PR now, via EE, if we can - most likely - get it 18 months after we arrive on a TWP?

The way we see it, the PNP route is easier, cheaper and will allow us to get to Canada a lot faster.
In terms of time till citizenship, only 50% of the time on TWP will be lost.
We will have the same privileges that EE newcomers enjoy.

In all likelihood, the demand for GP's will not subside in the next couple of years, so even if the clinic will choose not to renew the contract, my wife should be able to find a new job within the required time-frame. Or are we being overly optimistic here? Were there any GP's who were on a TWP that ran out and couldn't secure another job in time?

So, except the fact that we will have to deal with a new immigration process down the line (which should be annoying, but just a formality?), and lose about 9 months in the race to citizenship, what other repercussions should we expect if we will indeed choose the PNP/TWP route?
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 10:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa ,you're right, Healthmatch BC made it very clear that they only support the PNP/TWP pathway.
PNP EE or PNP paper based application? I've never understood why they've insisted on the old slower and more onerous paper based system, and am hoping they've changed that now.

The way we see it, the PNP route is easier, cheaper and will allow us to get to Canada a lot faster.
Why do you think it's easier and cheaper? You're still applying for PR, but you have an extra step in the process so it's actually more complicated, plus you have the PNP fees to pay as well ($700 irrc), so it's more expensive than a FSW app.

We will have the same privileges that EE newcomers enjoy.
Not until you get PR you won't.

So, except the fact that we will have to deal with a new immigration process down the line (which should be annoying, but just a formality?), and lose about 9 months in the race to citizenship, what other repercussions should we expect if we will indeed choose the PNP/TWP route?
There are various reasons that would make me choose applying for PR now and moving with it rather than moving on a TWP personally. I'd just rather have the security of moving with PR (particularly with a family) and knowing that I can go anywhere in Canada, work for anybody I want, and can't be kicked out unless I commit a heinous crime or committed fraud on my application. On a TWP you're tied to that one employer until you get PR, it's just nowhere near as secure. There are other advantage of having PR versus being on a TWP, such as teenage children being able to work (they can't as dependents of a TWP holder), and if they are approaching college/uni age being able to qualify for local tuition rates rather than international, but I don't know if those things would be relevant to you. Plus things like being able to get mortgages easier etc.

Obviously it's your call, and I've no idea if your wife scores enough for PR via EE without a job offer so it may be a moot point, but that's just what I would do and would be some of my reasons for applying now and getting PR before moving.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 4th 2019 at 6:09 am.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks.
I still don't know if it's PNP EE or PNP paper based application, I'll contact Health Match for some clarification.
We were under the impression that the PNP/TWP is an easier process. In regards to the fees, if it's only a few hundred $ difference in total, it doesn't really matter, either way.
What newcomer privileges are not available for a TWP?
I found this on RBC's website:

An RBC Royal Bank credit card with no credit history required is available to (i) permanent residents and international students who arrived in Canada within the last 12 months, and (ii) temporary resident workers who arrived in Canada within the last 48 months, provided you meet all of the eligibility and credit criteria of Royal Bank of Canada.
And:
All residential mortgages and lending products are provided by Royal Bank of Canada are subject to its standard lending criteria. Available to permanent residents who have been in Canada less than 5 years. Temporary residents may also apply.
Up until now we were focused on the professional side of the process, and now that we are looking into the actual immigration process, we're still confused...
After speaking to HMBC, the plan was to start the PNP/TWP process in September/October. According to them, if we choose their suggested pathway, we can expect to be in Canada by January 2020. To our understanding, if we choose the EE/PR route, we will lose HMBC support in the process, and it will be some more months, before we could make the move.
In normal circumstances we would go for the PR route, but it's mostly because we have a house that we are renting, which is about to be sold (already on the market and viewed a few times), and my wife's leased car will expire in September - that we prefer moving to Canada asap, rather than face both a car and a housing problem.
So, that has made our main goal to move to Canada asap. As long as the TWP won't put us at an extremely bad position, we think we'll be OK with dealing with the PR once we're there. When I say 'extremely bad position' I mean, mostly, being able to get a credit card and a mortgage (a year after the move). From speaking to a GP who has made the move on a TWP, it shouldn't be a problem.

Having said that, we're still undecided as to which pathway to choose. We still have some reading to do...
I hope some GP's who took the BC PNP TWP route will read this thread and be able to share their actual experience.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 5:35 pm
Banned

Look/search for posts by Snoopdawg on this thread - he is a GP in BC who has posted lots of very useful information.. and there are others who have gone through the PNP process on that thread, it's very long so you may need to make a cuppa - or something stronger!
Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

https://britishexpats.com/forum/sear...rchid=11179282

and this post: British GP looking to move to BC

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 4th 2019 at 5:38 pm.