Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Skilled working program - Education points

Skilled working program - Education points

Old Feb 16th 2013, 2:42 am
Dazed and confused!

chutuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled working program - Education points

Hi All,

I'm looking into applying for PR status under the skilled worker program, however I have a question regarding the points for education.

I don't have any university education (I have plenty of vocational qualifications ITIL, Cisco Certs etc) but was wondering do A Levels and AS Levels get considered as post secondary education under the 'Two year diploma/14 years education" option or would this just count as a secondary school credential?

Thanks
Andy
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:58 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled working program - Education points

Originally Posted by chutuk
Hi All,

I'm looking into applying for PR status under the skilled worker program, however I have a question regarding the points for education.

I don't have any university education (I have plenty of vocational qualifications ITIL, Cisco Certs etc) but was wondering do A Levels and AS Levels get considered as post secondary education under the 'Two year diploma/14 years education" option or would this just count as a secondary school credential?

Thanks
Andy

Just secondary.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

As amydavid, a levels are not counted.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 11:47 pm
Dazed and confused!

Agh,that's bad news!

It's a bit of a strange one as in the industry, the certs from Cisco etc are held in a lot higher regard than than dimplomas or degrees. Shame this isn't the case with immigration

Can anyone possibly reccomend a path of acheiving a certificate that would qualify me for the points but not take me years to complete? I've been working in IT for almost 10 years with the last 4-5 in Networking and VoIP.

Thanks
Old Feb 17th 2013, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield UK - Victoria BC bound (one day, in a galaxy far, far away...)
witchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the rough

Agh,that's bad news!

It's a bit of a strange one as in the industry, the certs from Cisco etc are held in a lot higher regard than than dimplomas or degrees. Shame this isn't the case with immigration

Can anyone possibly reccomend a path of acheiving a certificate that would qualify me for the points but not take me years to complete? I've been working in IT for almost 10 years with the last 4-5 in Networking and VoIP.

Thanks
If you're willing to wait for Canada at least a couple of years, you can take a HNC/HND in computing - there are a few online ones out there...OH did Certificate and Diploma in Computing (might have been software dev, or systems, not sure) online via Bridgwater College - so you could still work and do a qual...
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone possibly reccomend a path of acheiving a certificate that would qualify me for the points but not take me years to complete?
How many points do you need?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:15 pm
Dazed and confused!

Thanks for the info witchileiz, I'll take a look into that!

I need 67 points to qualify without a job offer. If A-Levels were counted as a 2 year post-secondary course I would have the exact 67. As that isn't counted I'm quite a few short :-(
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I meant, how many do you need from education to get the 67 required!

Just checking, but you are using the new points score system that will be in place from May, not the current one?

Either way though, if you currently only have points for secondary education then you'll have to get further education to be eligible so there's not going to be a quick way of qualifying.

Good luck.