skilled worker visa query

Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

craney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default skilled worker visa query

Hi Folks,
I was looking at submitting a skilled worker visa application but from reading threads can see that it will now be difficult without a job offer to go with the application. Can I just clarify that this arrangement of not dealing with any SW applications until the Occupation list comes out applies to all Canadian embassies or is it just the London one due to the current backlog? Although british, I have been living in the U.S for the last 2 years so become eligible to apply via the Buffalo office rather than london. thanks for any replies.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:06 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: skilled worker visa query

Originally Posted by craney
Hi Folks,
I was looking at submitting a skilled worker visa application but from reading threads can see that it will now be difficult without a job offer to go with the application. Can I just clarify that this arrangement of not dealing with any SW applications until the Occupation list comes out applies to all Canadian embassies or is it just the London one due to the current backlog? Although british, I have been living in the U.S for the last 2 years so become eligible to apply via the Buffalo office rather than london. thanks for any replies.
It applys to all applicants, not just British.

They should soon be releasing a list of priority occupations though and if you fall into one of those you still get priority processing even without a job offer.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 4:02 am
Just Joined

YorkshireDaisy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm new here.

I was just about to ask the same question regarding applications from other countries (we are currently in Australia). Is the processing time the same from other offices, or is it just the London one that is 5 years plus? We are going to apply from Sydney next spring (about March) so if the 5 years applies to all applications, we might just get it in now and not wait the next 5 months.

Do we know when the occupations list is due out? I am currently on it, but if my job comes off, it might make all the difference to which visa we go for.

Me and my husband are living in Australia at the moment, but miss our family and Canada has always been his dream (Australia was mine but now we've done that!). And with Canada being 'slightly' closer to the UK, we might finally see some of them... Some of the little ones we've never seen! Thanks to all for your advice so far (I've been coming on for a while but only just registered). Nice to meet you all,

Daisy
Old Nov 1st 2008, 6:45 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, Daisy, and welcome to the BE forum.

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Daisy
Is the processing time the same from other offices, or is it just the London one that is 5 years plus?
Sydney used to process permanent residence applications via the skilled worker route more quickly than London processed them.

However, things have changed. All of the skilled worker applications that have been submitted since the end of February 2008 have not been processed. They've been sitting in giant in boxes, waiting for the publication of the list of occupations that are in extreme demand.

Once that list has been published, PR applications from people whose occupations are not on that list and that are not backed up by pre-arranged employment will be rejected.

The way around this, if your occupation does not show up on the list of occupations in extreme demand, is to get a job offer and then do one of two things:
  • Apply for a temporary work permit (TWP) and, once you're already in Canada, apply for an expedited upgrade to PR status, or

• Apply to the relevant Provincial Nominee Program, a route that culminates in a PR visa.
We are going to apply from Sydney next spring (about March) so if the 5 years applies to all applications, we might just get it in now and not wait the next 5 months.
The five-year wait that you heard about no longer is relevant. If you apply by one of the two methods I told you about above, each of which involves getting a job offer in Canada first, your PR application will be processed relatively quickly by the standards of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). If your occupation appears on The List for which we're all waiting, your application also will be processed relatively quickly, say within a year.

If your occupation does not show up on The List, and if you don't have pre-arranged employment, you will not get in, full stop. Okay, there are some creative ways around that. You can open a business that will employ Canadians. You can get a study permit, enroll in a college or university course, and your partner can get a spousal open work permit (SOWP).

But most of those alternative options are not for the faint of heart either.

Do we know when the occupations list is due out?
Supposedly this autumn, which technically means any time up to December 20th.

I am currently on it
I don't see how you can know that your occupation is on The List, since The List hasn't yet been published.

You may be confusing That List with the Occupations under Pressure (OUP) lists. The OUP lists for the various provinces are applicable to people who apply for temporary work permits (TWPs).

The only relevance of an OUP is that the employer's required advertising period is reduced from the normal three months down to seven business days in the case of an occupation that is listed as an OUP. This is the cross-Canada recruitment drive that the employer has to undertake before he/she applies for the labour market opinion (LMO) that he/she needs to obtain before offering the job to a foreigner. Only if no qualified Canadian applies for the job will the employer be granted an LMO.

The OUP lists give you some indication of where the labour shortages are.

I don't know if you've read the Canada section of the Wiki. If you have not, I strongly recommend that you read it.

In my opinion, these are the most important articles about Canada:
Hope that helps.
x
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:14 am
Just Joined

YorkshireDaisy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Judy.

Yes, I did mean the OUP list. Is the list we are waiting for not the same one just an updated version? I thought it was. We are not in any rush to get there, so a wait is not an issue for us, we would like to be there (or on our way) within the next 3 years or sooner, but this is not essential.

As for the TWP, we do not want to go that route as we did this with Australia and the wait for PR was horrible, what if they change their minds? etc... It was too stressful, we want to go straight to PR so we can just move and settle without the hassle of further applications. As for the business route - can't really see that happening as neither of us are from that background so that would just be extra stress! Appreciate the advice though.

Looks like it is just gonna have to be a wait, gives us chance to save some extra bucks and get all our paper work in order!

Thanks again,
Daisy
Old Nov 1st 2008, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

craney is an unknown quantity at this point

many thanks for the replies. I was hoping that as the wait for SW visa is about 2 years at the Buffalo office then they might still process them and it was just London sitting on them but obviously not. We are police officers so wouldn't imagine that occupation to be on the list of in demand. I know it's only Edmonton Police that you can go via the PNP route but we were hoping for Calgary police as the preferred force so were going to get PR via the Skilled worker route then apply to them. Will have to reconsider Edmonton then unless police officer shows up on the list! - Not saying there's anything wrong with Edmonton! - just that previous threads seem to imply that Calgary police was a much better force to join.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by craney
many thanks for the replies. I was hoping that as the wait for SW visa is about 2 years at the Buffalo office then they might still process them and it was just London sitting on them but obviously not. We are police officers so wouldn't imagine that occupation to be on the list of in demand. I know it's only Edmonton Police that you can go via the PNP route but we were hoping for Calgary police as the preferred force so were going to get PR via the Skilled worker route then apply to them. Will have to reconsider Edmonton then unless police officer shows up on the list! - Not saying there's anything wrong with Edmonton! - just that previous threads seem to imply that Calgary police was a much better force to join.

As far as I know (could be wrong) PNP approval apply province wide not restricted to a city. Since both Edmonton and Calgary are in Alberta, PNP would apply to both cities not just Edmonton.

Having said that, I don’t see police officer on the Alberta list of occupations under pressure. So how do you know PNP can be done for Alberta police force.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/workplaces...bouplist.shtml

And if it can, there is nothing to prevent you from switching jobs once you have your PR anyway.

Ray
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 3:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raymasa
As far as I know (could be wrong) PNP approval apply province wide not restricted to a city. Since both Edmonton and Calgary are in Alberta, PNP would apply to both cities not just Edmonton.

Having said that, I don’t see police officer on the Alberta list of occupations under pressure. So how do you know PNP can be done for Alberta police force.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/workplaces...bouplist.shtml

And if it can, there is nothing to prevent you from switching jobs once you have your PR anyway.

Ray
Ray - I think you're getting confused. The Occupations Under Pressure lists are not relevant to PNP, they are relevant to LMO's. PNP is a whole different programme and some police forces (evidently Edmonton but not Calgary) will 'nominate' their police officers for the PNP.

Old Nov 5th 2008, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ray - I think you're getting confused. The Occupations Under Pressure lists are not relevant to PNP, they are relevant to LMO's. PNP is a whole different programme and some police forces (evidently Edmonton but not Calgary) will 'nominate' their police officers for the PNP.

Ah, yes in that case you are right, I was confused. I was under the impression that the list applies to PNP. Thanks for that...

Ray