Skilled Worker Processing Times

Old Dec 12th 2011, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Niobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to all
Question Skilled Worker Processing Times

I think this might be a silly question but since it's bugging me I have to ask it!

So the the current processing times for Skilled Workers via London is 23 months. Does this mean that when you submit an application it takes them 23 months to start processing it or that it takes 23 months from receiving it?

Thanks is advance
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:57 pm
Permanent Residents

Mac2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Skilled Worker Processing Times

Originally Posted by Niobii
I think this might be a silly question but since it's bugging me I have to ask it!

So the the current processing times for Skilled Workers via London is 23 months. Does this mean that when you submit an application it takes them 23 months to start processing it or that it takes 23 months from receiving it?

Thanks is advance
Well its not as simple as that I am afraid! The clock starts when your file is transferred to London or any of the processing centre's from the CIC.
The 23 months quoted for London is for the slowest of 80% applications that they completed (Approved or Refused visa's) between October 1, 2010, and September 30, 2011 for FSW applications submitted to CIC from February 2008 up till june 25th 2010. These applicants fall into the ministerial instruction 1 (MI-1) stream and it is historic data only, so may have no bearing on current processing times for other applicants in the same stream (like us!). There are also many other streams with varying processing times; The most recent applicants (MI-2 & MI-3) are currently getting their applications processed in about 12 months, pre 2008 applicants are now taking 58 months or more in London.

Last edited by Mac2; Dec 12th 2011 at 2:05 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Niobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mac2
Well its not as simple as that I am afraid! The clock starts when your file is transferred to London or any of the processing centre's from the CIC.
The 23 months quoted for London is for the slowest of 80% applications that they completed (Approved or Refused visa's) between October 1, 2010, and September 30, 2011 for FSW applications submitted to CIC from February 2008 up till june 25th 2010. These applicants fall into the ministerial instruction 1 (MI-1) stream and it is historic data only, so may have no bearing on current processing times for other applicants in the same stream (like us!). There are also many other streams with varying processing times; The most recent applicants (MI-2 & MI-3) are currently getting their applications processed in about 12 months, pre 2008 applicants are now taking 58 months or more in London.
Oh ok so it wasn't that silly after all! It's all very mind baffling isn't it! You think you've just about got the actualy application figured out when something else crops up. It's always 2 steps forward and 1 step back!

Thanks for calrifying it. I suppose you will only know for sure how long things take once you've gone through it yourself and can comment in retrospect.

I'm SO worried that I'll get something wrong or miss something out!
Old Dec 12th 2011, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Why are the pre 2008 applications taking longer than recent apps?
Old Dec 12th 2011, 5:59 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuck Fan
Why are the pre 2008 applications taking longer than recent apps?
Applications after 27/02/08 were those that received priority under the Ministerial instructions where the applicants had experience in the various lists of "38" and "29" which supposedly had better chances of employment. Well those before only had to have 67 points and 1 experience in a NOC level job of A, B or O.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:09 pm
Permanent Residents

Mac2 is on a distinguished road

Oh ok so it wasn't that silly after all! It's all very mind baffling isn't it! You think you've just about got the actualy application figured out when something else crops up. It's always 2 steps forward and 1 step back!

Thanks for calrifying it. I suppose you will only know for sure how long things take once you've gone through it yourself and can comment in retrospect.

I'm SO worried that I'll get something wrong or miss something out!
Use this forum and ask plenty of questions as you go along. Lots of experience here which we still rely on as well. First rule of filling in the documents is leave no blanks spaces whatsoever! If it is a section you do not have to put anything in, you must put N/A. Second rule is check everything many times before posting.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:26 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks is advance
The time quoted is meaningless, really IMHO.

Firstly, it is an average (including Pakistan applications which go through London and which are being processed in about 6 months so are bringing the average down significantly)
and secondly, it is retrospective and applies to previous ministerial instructions as they claim there are not sufficient Visa issues since June 200 to be able to quote a timescale.

So it is not a guide to what you can expect to experience if you are applying now.

Also, it is at London, not the whole process.
The stage at CIO took us 4 months before we even got to London and then another 2 months before we went In Process!
I don't have any up to date information about how long applications are taking to clear Sydney NS and get to London at the moment, but it dropped considerably in the few months after we applied. I think we just got caught up on the cusp of them changing computer systems and also implementing the new MI.

We applied in Sept 2020 and have just received and done our medicals, which has so far taken 15 months from date of application if that is a help.

Recently, I was advised in an e-mail from the Minister Kenney's office in reply that 80% of applications through London were taking 13 months, so taking away the 4 months we spent at CIO, that should make us due for PR in February if we are successful.
We are Cat 2 FSW working here on a LMO/TWP.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by helcat12
The time quoted is meaningless, really IMHO.

Firstly, it is an average (including Pakistan applications which go through London and which are being processed in about 6 months so are bringing the average down significantly)
and secondly, it is retrospective and applies to previous ministerial instructions as they claim there are not sufficient Visa issues since June 200 to be able to quote a timescale.

So it is not a guide to what you can expect to experience if you are applying now.

Also, it is at London, not the whole process.
The stage at CIO took us 4 months before we even got to London and then another 2 months before we went In Process!
I don't have any up to date information about how long applications are taking to clear Sydney NS and get to London at the moment, but it dropped considerably in the few months after we applied. I think we just got caught up on the cusp of them changing computer systems and also implementing the new MI.

We applied in Sept 2020 and have just received and done our medicals, which has so far taken 15 months from date of application if that is a help.

Recently, I was advised in an e-mail from the Minister Kenney's office in reply that 80% of applications through London were taking 13 months, so taking away the 4 months we spent at CIO, that should make us due for PR in February if we are successful.
We are Cat 2 FSW working here on a LMO/TWP.
I'm at the point where I'm just about starting to gather information and try my hand at doing the application myself. So forgive me if I don't know all the accronyms or processes yet. What does IMHO (is that like lol!), and MI stand for please?

I read that all applications need to be sent to NS now. As there seems to be so many different routes I wasn't sure if my application for FSW was NS or London so thanks for clearing that one up. I think I'll gain and figure out a lot of this knowledge as I go along but what do you mean by Cat 2 FSW?

We are going on the line that it should take anywhere between 12-18 months from submission to having an answer. We can't move till Feb 2014 at the earliest anyway so we don't mind if it takes a while but ideally want an answer asap like we all do!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So forgive me if I don't know all the accronyms or processes yet. What does IMHO (is that like lol!), and MI stand for please?
IMHO is a general internet one - In My Honest Opinion
MI - Ministerial Instructions

There is a list of abbreviations in the Wiki in case you haven't already found it, although for general forum ones such as IMHO a quick Google will give you the answer.

I read that all applications need to be sent to NS now.
No, not all applications - for instance, Family Class applications aren't sent to NS. FSW definitely are though. Have you downloaded the application guide and forms from the CIC website yet? That will tell you exactly where to send it.

I think I'll gain and figure out a lot of this knowledge as I go along but what do you mean by Cat 2 FSW?
FSW cat 2 are applications with arranged employment. Presumably you are applying under FSW cat 1 i.e. have a job in the list of 29 eligible occupations?

Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:57 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm at the point where I'm just about starting to gather information and try my hand at doing the application myself. So forgive me if I don't know all the accronyms or processes yet. What does IMHO (is that like lol!), and MI stand for please?

I read that all applications need to be sent to NS now. As there seems to be so many different routes I wasn't sure if my application for FSW was NS or London so thanks for clearing that one up. I think I'll gain and figure out a lot of this knowledge as I go along but what do you mean by Cat 2 FSW?

We are going on the line that it should take anywhere between 12-18 months from submission to having an answer. We can't move till Feb 2014 at the earliest anyway so we don't mind if it takes a while but ideally want an answer asap like we all do!
IMHO - In My Humble Opinion

FSW - Federal Skilled Worker route

Cat 2 - Category 2 of FSW, also sometimes called the Arranged Employment option. This means that the Principal Applicant has a job offer in Canada. This can be supported by a Labour Market Opinion (which is an assessment that is done in Canada to prove that there is no Canadian who can fill the role) and then you can start work with a Temporary Work Permit.
Some AEO applicants do not get LMO and wait in their country of origin until they get PR, but there was a lot of fraudulent activity uncovered some while ago and so this route has come under increased scrutiny since then.

All the Federal Skilled Worker applications are sent initially to CIO in Sydney for initial assessment and then if they pass, they are forwarded to the Visa Office of the applicant for further assessment.

Given the current situation with FSW, I think that a total processing time of 12-18 months as you are expecting is optimistic.
You can expect that just at the Visa Office alone, I think.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
IMHO is a general internet one - In My Honest Opinion

There is a list of abbreviations in the Wiki in case you haven't already found it, although for general forum ones such as IMHO a quick Google will give you the answer.

No, not all applications - for instance, Family Class applications aren't sent to NS. FSW definitely are though. Have you downloaded the application guide and forms from the CIC website yet? That will tell you exactly where to send it.

FSW cat 2 are applications with arranged employment. Presumably you are applying under FSW cat 1 i.e. have a job in the list of 29 eligible occupations?

Yes I have had and do have a job with matching skills under the 29 eligible occupations. I just hope that what I'm planning to apply under is still available come 1st July, which is when I'm hoping to submit.