Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Skilled Worker for newcomer to Canada

Skilled Worker for newcomer to Canada

Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

sarah_m will become famous soon enoughsarah_m will become famous soon enough
Default Skilled Worker for newcomer to Canada

Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether someone could offer me some advice. Ok so here goes ...

I came to Canada in March 2010 on a student working-holiday visa (non-extendable). I got a job as an Admin Assistant in mid April 2010 and was then given more responsibilities in my role and given a new job title – Administrative Coordinator (that was in mid-July). I was working in a ESL language school. When it came to the end of my visa, in March 2011, I returned to England for 1 month as a sort of long-vacation (to see family and also to leave the country and re-enter Canada on another year long, working holiday visa). I then returned 3 weeks later and returned to my job, in the same position. During that period, the company was issuing everyone with new contracts, which I signed (not sure if this matters). So in total, I worked at this school from April 2010 until October of this year (2011) with a 1 month break in March 2010. I was the Administrative Coordinator for over 1 year. This position is not listed on the list for category 1 skilled workers, however, I was wondering whether my new position which I started in October of this year (which is a permanent, full-time position), would enable me to apply through the category B route?

I have been living with my Canadian boyfriend since May 2010 and so could apply for permanent residency through common law but would prefer not to as things between us are not great and I would love to apply for PR through the skilled worker category, if possible.

I can't seem to find anyone in this situation as most people are a bit older with more experience and have better jobs!

Thanks so much in advance!