Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

skilled worker looking for work permit / immagration agent

skilled worker looking for work permit / immagration agent

Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

wesleyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default skilled worker looking for work permit / immagration agent

hey guys

i am a qualified bricklayer, looking to move back to canada.

in 2008 i spent 2 years working in vancouver. and i got my work permit and job offer through and immagration agent.

just wondering if any1 can recommend an agent they have used or know.

or any websites that advertise jobs for people over seas wanted to move to canada.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: skilled worker looking for work permit / immagration agent

A immigration consultant can't charge you a fee for helping you to find work in any way, so it's not something most will do. They'll help you with visa paperwork, but as advised in your last thread, for employment you'd be better off contacting employers directly.

Have another read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki, which will tell you how to go about finding a job in Canada.

Best of luck with it.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
A immigration consultant can't charge you a fee for helping you to find work in any way, so it's not something most will do. They'll help you with visa paperwork, but as advised in your last thread, for employment you'd be better off contacting employers directly.

Have another read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki, which will tell you how to go about finding a job in Canada.

Best of luck with it.
whats this wiki ?

the last time o got a visa it was simple, i paid this agent some money and he sorted me a job offer, visa and did all the paper work. does this not happen any more?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wesleyk
whats this wiki ?

the last time o got a visa it was simple, i paid this agent some money and he sorted me a job offer, visa and did all the paper work. does this not happen any more?
Link to the Wiki in my signature, and also in the 'Read me before posting' thread.

An agent can charge you for paperwork relating to the visa, but not to help you find work - that's illegal in most of Canada. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Employment_Agencies'_Fees-Canada

I've just seen from your 2008 threads that you applied for Permanent Residency, what happened with that - are you not still a PR?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

i was appliying for PR but due to personal reason i had to with draw. i was on a 2 year work permit. and left vat the end of my visa.
i have been living in australia for 3 years and now looking at going back to canada.

thank you for your advice, the wiki page is very useful.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

i was appliying for PR but due to personal reason i had to with draw. i was on a 2 year work permit. and left vat the end of my visa.
Did you never get PR then? In 2009 you said you didn't need a work permit as you were a Canadian resident, so if you were a PR in 2009 it may still be valid.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

i never got the PR, i started on a work permit for the agent that got me out there with the job offer and visa. then when i was working there, some one recommended me another agent . who helped me towards my PR. we did the BCNP i think it was called. that got the go ahead and i was told i was no longer on the work permitt. but i left the country before every thing got finalised and apparently my application got with drawn.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

we did the BCNP i think it was called. that got the go ahead and i was told i was no longer on the work permitt. but i left the country before every thing got finalised and apparently my application got with drawn.
Ah, I see. Just checking, but did you work illegally at any point? As it doesn't sound like you were aware that you were 'no longer on the work permit', so were you still working then?

Were you on a Working Holiday Visa, or a proper TWP?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

i know its all confusing to me aswell. thats why i keep puting these threads up.

i didnt do any thing illegal with my visas, i had a 2 years work permit and during this time i got told about the nomanee programe. by a different agent. so i applied for the nomanee programe, when this got accepted i then got a new temp work permit. so i could drop my first work permit. i was still working for the same construction company. but my immagration agent sorted every thing out for me. i just paid my fees when they told me to
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

i know its all confusing to me aswell. thats why i keep puting these threads up.

i didnt do any thing illegal with my visas, i had a 2 years work permit and during this time i got told about the nomanee programe. by a different agent. so i applied for the nomanee programe, when this got accepted i then got a new temp work permit. so i could drop my first work permit. i was still working for the same construction company. but my immagration agent sorted every thing out for me. i just paid my fees when they told me to
OK, cool. Just wanted to check just in case as that may well have impacted your plans to go back.

Good luck job hunting, I take it you're not young enough to get a Working Holiday Visa? That would be a lot easier than trying to find an employer to go through the paperwork/hassle/wait of the LMO.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

well im 30, and the working holiday programme is 18 -30. is this right?
but all stages for british citizens have been taken for this year.

just been reading through the link you sent me. its all starting to make sense now. thank you very much for this.

so basically i need to contact the employers direct, they do " job offer ".
then i apply for a work permit myself.

is this correct?

it also mentions that i can look by provence to see if my trade is on the list

do you know how i find this?