Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

skilled worker immigration - family?

skilled worker immigration - family?

Old May 16th 2011, 11:58 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 6
xyster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default skilled worker immigration - family?

Hi, am seriously considering an immigration application based on skilled worker with job offer (in oil and gas industry) but not sure what the rules are with regards to taking my family, which obviously would be my aim!

The problem is that I have remarried and have a 17 yr old son from my 1st marriage who I would want to go with us (he aims to leave this country anyway). I then have 3 stepchildren. The youngest is, again, 17 and currently doing A levels. The middle one is 20 and at home still, unemployed and with a disability (dyspraxia). The eldest is 23 and has left the nest. She rents a room in a shared house with friends and works part time as a call centre advisor.

I have looked at the website but am struggling to see if they would be able to come with us. My occupation is not on the A list but the B list (I am an operations technician with experience on chemical and gas plants and control room operations - also qualified electrician but not done that for 13 years now since getting into ops work) but I score 87 points on the test as have relatives over there as well.

My relatives live in GTA and I would ideally love to live there too as the climate is better than further north/west where the majority of oil/gas jobs seem to be and as my wife suffers from arthritis she isn't keen on a mainly colder climate.

NB. Having just read some posts on here I wonder how feasible our plans are. If we do meet all the criteria and I apply for jobs over there and get offered one, just how long would the process take and would any prospective employer wait for the periods of time I have seen mentioned on here, ie, 3 years! Add to that having to sell house etc it would be a logistical nightmare it seems. Maybe selling in advance and being in rented would be easier.

Thanks in advance for any advice, all welcome.

Last edited by xyster; May 16th 2011 at 1:23 pm.
xyster is offline  
Old May 16th 2011, 3:52 pm
  #2  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 6
xyster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: skilled worker immigration - family?

I maybe should have done some more research before posting the above questions. Having read a few more threads it seems another route to go down on the employment front would be to apply for a work visa, go over, find a job (which I suppose would be easier) and applying for PR from there. Would I have to apply for a temperary job/contract job in the first instance though with the understanding that a permanent job offer would be made? How would it work?

I still have the same queries with regards to the family though. Any advice?
xyster is offline  
Old May 16th 2011, 9:34 pm
  #3  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,121
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: skilled worker immigration - family?

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by xyster
The problem is that I have remarried and have a 17 yr old son from my 1st marriage who I would want to go with us (he aims to leave this country anyway). I then have 3 stepchildren. The youngest is, again, 17 and currently doing A levels. The middle one is 20 and at home still, unemployed and with a disability (dyspraxia). The eldest is 23 and has left the nest. She rents a room in a shared house with friends and works part time as a call centre advisor.
OK, so you wouldn't be able to take the 23 yr old with you (only aged 22 or under are considered dependent children, unless disabled or still in full-time education), the middle one could accompany you (although I would check in to whether he or she is likely to cause any problems with the medical for a PR application and also the cost of any drugs s/he needs) and the youngest would be fine to accompany you as well. Your child from your first marriage would also be able to go with you, although you'd need the other parent's written permission to remove him from the UK.

However, it looks as if you'll be going over on a TWP, one thing to note is that your children cannot work unless they get a TWP in their own right - that can often cause an issue with older children.

Originally Posted by xyster
My relatives live in GTA and I would ideally love to live there too as the climate is better than further north/west where the majority of oil/gas jobs seem to be and as my wife suffers from arthritis she isn't keen on a mainly colder climate.
I am not sure you'll find an oil and gas job in the GTA to be honest, Alberta is usually where most people in that industry find work. But the GTA gets very cold and snowy winters, if you want a milder climate then really your only option is coastal BC.

Originally Posted by xyster
NB. Having just read some posts on here I wonder how feasible our plans are. If we do meet all the criteria and I apply for jobs over there and get offered one, just how long would the process take and would any prospective employer wait for the periods of time I have seen mentioned on here, ie, 3 years! Add to that having to sell house etc it would be a logistical nightmare it seems. Maybe selling in advance and being in rented would be easier.
Exactly that, sounds like you need a job offer to get a visa, but realistically no employer is going to wait the 2 years or so for you to get PR before being able to start work, so you'll have to head over on a TWP first and then apply for PR at a later date. One thing to note for this given your family circumstances is that you'd need to apply for PR before your middle child turns 22, or s/he couldn't be included in your application and would have to return to the UK or try and get their own visa.

Originally Posted by xyster
I maybe should have done some more research before posting the above questions. Having read a few more threads it seems another route to go down on the employment front would be to apply for a work visa, go over, find a job (which I suppose would be easier) and applying for PR from there. Would I have to apply for a temperary job/contract job in the first instance though with the understanding that a permanent job offer would be made? How would it work?
You've misunderstood the work visa bit - you can't just 'apply for a work visa, go over, find a job', as you need the job offer to get the Temporary Work Permit, so that has to come first. To give you an overview, you need to find a job offer, then your employer has to apply for something called a Labour Market Opinion (for which they have to prove that they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job). Once you have the written job offer and the LMO, you can then apply for the TWP.

The job offer letter must have an end date on it, so cannot be for a permanent job, but then to apply for PR your employer would need to state that they wish to give you a permanent job.

Hope that helps a bit! The Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) is full of useful info, so well worth a read.

Good luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old May 18th 2011, 4:03 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 6
xyster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: skilled worker immigration - family?

Many thanks for the reply. It , as usual with our family, is complicated. So in a nutshell it would seem that the 2 youngest are ok. The middle one would be ok as the disability would overide the age restriction anyway wouldn't it? Although she is 21 in November so we would have time to sort out PR anyway. The medicals would not be a problem (I hope) as my wife's arthritis does not 'cost' anything more than painkillers and my stepdaughter's disability does not cost anything at all. The only concern would be the eldest. How could she get over? Could we go over and then sponsor her or could she get a TWP and then once over there apply for PR based on our status?

The other concern we have is having two 17 year olds who want to go to uni. In England they would be getting student loans with us helping towards some of the other costs like accommodation etc. What is the score with higher education in Canada as we cannot possibly afford to fully pay th UK level of tuition fees for one, never mind two!!

Also, going forward to if/when we get PR or even citizenship, Are there any 'benefits' to help financially people who are unable to work because of a disability or illness similar to our DLA payments?
xyster is offline  
Old May 18th 2011, 4:17 am
  #5  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,121
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: skilled worker immigration - family?

Originally Posted by xyster
So in a nutshell it would seem that the 2 youngest are ok.
Yep, as long as they don't mind not being allowed to work (at all - no part-time job after school, babysitting, or similar) until they get PR.

Originally Posted by xyster
The middle one would be ok as the disability would overide the age restriction anyway wouldn't it?
Depends on the disability, but if s/he has to live with you and is unable to be independent, then yes, s/he would be considered a dependent child even past the age of 22.

Originally Posted by xyster
Although she is 21 in November so we would have time to sort out PR anyway.
Sorry, but I don't think you'll have PR by Nov 2012. Even if you found a job offer from an employer prepared to go through the hassle/wait/paperwork of hiring you straight away (unlikely in the current economic climate tbh), then it would take 6 months or so before you'd be over there on a TWP, and then another 18 months or so to get PR. So factor in 2-3 years in total.

Originally Posted by xyster
The only concern would be the eldest. How could she get over? Could we go over and then sponsor her or could she get a TWP and then once over there apply for PR based on our status??
You cannot sponsor her if you are going to Ontario. Adult children cannot be sponsored under the Federal program so that option is out. There are a couple of provinces that would allow you to sponsor her for PR under their Provincial Nominee Program (ON is not one of them) - note that you'd have to be a PR first though, and that it can take years.

She could try and get a TWP, but don't forget she'd need the LMO first, and in all honesty it's unlikely that would be granted if she has little or no experience. Another option is for her to get a Working Holiday Visa, which would give her a year's open work permit. Once she's over there, she'd need to apply for PR under her own steam as well, she still couldn't be included on your application.

Originally Posted by xyster
The other concern we have is having two 17 year olds who want to go to uni. In England they would be getting student loans with us helping towards some of the other costs like accommodation etc. What is the score with higher education in Canada as we cannot possibly afford to fully pay th UK level of tuition fees for one, never mind two!!
Costs will vary depending on which course they do and which college/uni they go to. You'll need to figure out where and what, and then find out what the course fees will be. One thing to bear in mind is that if they are just there on your Temporary Work Permit, they'll have to pay international tuition rates rather than local - but if they are PR's, they will pay local. So make sure you look in to the international rate when considering it.

Originally Posted by xyster
Also, going forward to if/when we get PR or even citizenship, Are there any 'benefits' to help financially people who are unable to work because of a disability or illness similar to our DLA payments?
Again, it will depend on where you are as each province has different rules. There is Employment Insurance, which would cover you if you are unable to work because of illness or similar, if you qualify for it.

There is info on all of the above in the Wiki (blue bar at top of page) so it's well worth a read.

christmasoompa is offline  
Old May 18th 2011, 4:34 am
  #6  
BTJ
Occasionally Useful
 
BTJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Posts: 682
BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: skilled worker immigration - family?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry, but I don't think you'll have PR by Nov 2012. Even if you found a job offer from an employer prepared to go through the hassle/wait/paperwork of hiring you straight away (unlikely in the current economic climate tbh), then it would take 6 months or so before you'd be over there on a TWP, and then another 18 months or so to get PR. So factor in 2-3 years in total.
If you send off the PR application whilst a dependant child is still <22 years old, the actual age at visa issuing does not matter. Provided they are otherwise still dependants.

From Overseas Processing Manual 6 - Federal Skilled Worker:

The age of accompanying dependent children is locked in on the date of application, but dependence is not. If a child is under the age of 22 on the date of application but 22 years of age or older when the visa is issued, they may still be included as part of the parent's application as an accompanying dependent, if they are still not married or not in a common-law relationship or, if they are dependent pursuant to R2(b)(ii).
BTJ is offline  
Old May 18th 2011, 4:40 am
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,121
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: skilled worker immigration - family?

Originally Posted by BTJ
If you send off the PR application whilst a dependant child is still <22 years old, the actual age at visa issuing does not matter. Provided they are otherwise still dependants.
I realise that, but was just pointing out that PR by Nov 2012 is unrealistic.

christmasoompa is offline  
Old May 18th 2011, 5:56 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 6
xyster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: skilled worker immigration - family?

Thanks guys. More reading to do me thinks.
xyster is offline  
Old May 19th 2011, 8:29 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Chookie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 771
Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: skilled worker immigration - family?

I would say research and read more, but the one thing I can add is that Mr Chookie and I emigrated several ago with a stepchild (mine from a previous relationship)...

We had to get a letter from her father to say that he had no problems with us taking her out of the country and bringing her to Canada (he said in the letter that he felt that it would be a wonderful opportunity for her) - CIC happily accepted this.

It did help that her father was a lawyer (family Law), so he could write the letter in appropriate terms...

As far as how long it took, we submitted our skilled worker application in December 2002, did our meds in October 2005 and received our passport requests on 30th Dec 2005. Finally landed on April 13th 2006
Chookie is offline  
Old May 20th 2011, 3:16 am
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 6
xyster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: skilled worker immigration - family?

Did you have a job offer open for the 4 years then? This would be the problem for me. I would have to go over on a TWP and then get a permanent job offer and apply for PR that way. It would not be a problem with my son from 1st marraige who lives with his mum as he will be 18 in January and can decide himself then without his mums permission surely?

It is the fact that the eldest, who is 23 now, would have to apply in her own right for a TWP and would not get one with her skillset so would have to be left behind.

Also as both my son and stepson were planning on uni with the aid of student loans and what support we could offer, I cannot see this being affordable over in Canada for me to pay out on the one income. My wife currently receives some help/benefits because she cannot work due to illness. We would lose that income as well as my stepdaughter who has a disability would not get any help over there and could not work, at least until PR was through. Even then she would really struggle to get/hold down a job with her disability. Basically I would be supporting a full adult household on one income, which whilst not a bad wage, would not stretch to supporting 6 adults to any degree of comfort.

Back to the drawing board I think.
xyster is offline  
Old May 20th 2011, 3:20 am
  #11  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,121
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: skilled worker immigration - family?

Originally Posted by xyster
Did you have a job offer open for the 4 years then? This would be the problem for me.
Chookie applied under a different system - back in 2006, Skilled Worker applications took much longer (4-5 yrs rather than the 1-2 that it takes these days), but there was no list of occupations in demand, so as long as an applicant had 67 points or more, they could apply for PR. So Chookie didn't need a job offer to qualify.

christmasoompa is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.